Best AV for AMD W8.1 Systems

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hello All,

I have multiple AMD systems running Windows W8.1 x86-64.

AMD systems always have problems with softs as the vast majority are developed on Intel; lots of softs do not play well on AMD systems. To make matters worse, security softwares are fussy about firmware - and especially about some OEM Windows OS installs. If you are dedicated AMD user then you know exactly what I mean...

From extensive testing, these are the AVs are stable on my specific systems.
  • Avira free
  • Avira Pro
  • Comodo Internet Security * (See WARNING ! below)
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • Emsisoft Internet Security
  • ESET NOD32
  • ESET Smart Security
  • Norton Internet Security
* WARNING ! - Some AMD\ATI Catalyst Control Center modules and graphics drivers might be Unrecognized by Comodo and auto-sandboxed. This can cause critical system issues up-to, and including, an unbootable system ("black screen"). This issue can be completely avoided or fixed by rating all objects in AMD\ATI folders as "Trusted" - or - uninstalling CCC (if you play graphics intensive games with top-of-line processor I would keep it, but for low-end system it is unnecessary\useless).

There are multiple ways to handle the AMD\ATI files in Comodo. I think this one is the most straight-forward:

Before installing Comodo, disable AMD\ATI CCC startup in Task Manager. Reboot. Install CIS. Once CIS install is complete - including required Comodo install reboot, goto File List. Add all AMD\ATI folders to list as "Trusted." Re-enable CCC startup in Task Manager. Reboot.

Every time AMD\ATI CCC is updated to next version, e.g. 14.2 -> 15.4, it is best to follow same procedure.

I admit, a bit of a rigmarole.

NOTE:

In an effort to mitigate the Comodo - AMD\ATI CCC issue, I have submitted the most recent CCC versions for white-listing by Comodo. We'll have to wait and see if they simply white-list the installer or all the .exes, .dlls, etc.

Despite my best efforts, the AVs that I could not get to work properly or malfunction on my AMD W8.1 systems include:
  • BitDefender free
  • BitDefender Internet Security
  • Kaspersky Internet Security
  • Webroot

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sinu

Thread author
I am using Roboscan internet security works well on win8.1 with AMD and thanks for your information which will be helpful

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I am using Roboscan internet security works well on win8.1 with AMD and thanks for your information which will be helpful

Everyone might have different experience.

In addition to AMD, I have two identical Intel systems - and same AV will behave differently on each one - for whatever reason(s) !

Through experience I have learned that if solid, respectable AV works well on system - and I like it - then that is sufficient for base-line security. After all, it makes no sense to persist in using AV that causes nothing but continuous troubles on my system...

S

sinu

Thread author
Everyone might have different experience.

In addition to AMD, I have two identical Intel systems - and same AV will behave differently on each one - for whatever reason(s) !

Through experience I have learned that if solid, respectable AV works well on system - and I like it - then that is sufficient for base-line security. After all, it makes no sense to persist in using AV that causes nothing but continuous troubles on my system...
I too agree with you because I tested avast in my PC which was working well for some days and then it started slowing down my browsing then I tested bit defender and kaspersky which gave same result I.e.slow booting and shutdown and comodo worked well now roboscan too

Reactions: Davidov

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Comodo it is a pain to install on W8.1 64x. Avast and Avira are working good.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Comodo it is a pain to install on W8.1 64x.

... and un-install.

The act of installing CIS on AMD is a big problem for inexperienced, unknowledgeable user... not to mention them actually using it !

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
What is AMD system. I am starting to see a different side to Kaspersky, they still have not replied to my questions - it would seem, from actual users, not AV-Tests etc., that Kaspersky may not be the best.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
What is AMD system. I am starting to see a different side to Kaspersky, they still have not replied to my questions - it would seem, from actual users, not AV-Tests etc., that Kaspersky may not be the best.

AMD is primary\graphics processor manufacturer; Intel's direct competitor - but only has perhaps 15 % CPU and 40 % GPU market share compared to Intel.

AMD focuses on price - which means its products are represented mostly in the low-end desktop\laptop sector. For example, their best laptop CPU is about equivalent to Intel i5; they have no high-end offerings equivalent to i7 at this time.

AMD uses different drivers, firmware than Intel. To complicate matters, OEMs that like to manufacture low-end systems love AMD... and pack tons of crapware onto their OEM systems.

This can be a problem with some softs, especially AV. I have had lots of issues with softs on my AMD systems... not just AVs.

AMD represents particularly difficult problem for Comodo - due primarily to Comodo's funky practice of rating all application modules = all .dlls, scripts, etc - and not just the .exe,... and funky integration into CIS. While this adds increased security, it represents manual configuration challenge for user at this time.

If Kaspersky worked good on my systems, then I would use it. Application Control does not like my settings\config... you know what I mean.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Ah, I see, my laptop uses NVIDIA which I hate, is that the same kinda thing? Yes, I am not happy they cannot even be bothered to reply. I had TAM enabled, however, last week all the trusted applications and Metro Apps it moved them all to untrusted and blocked the lot, luckly I realised what was going on. Imagine if I rebooted, it probably would not boot up, stupid crap.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Ah, I see, my laptop uses NVIDIA which I hate, is that the same kinda thing? Yes, I am not happy they cannot even be bothered to reply. I had TAM enabled, however, last week all the trusted applications and Metro Apps it moved them all to untrusted and blocked the lot, luckly I realised what was going on. Imagine if I rebooted, it probably would not boot up, stupid crap.

You really should report it to Kaspersky Technical...

That is what happens on all systems with my suggested settings... it is a bug. I tried to report it to K. They gave me run-around.

Just don't use those settings - and add anti-executable. Solves problem - decisively.

I wouldn't remove Kaspersky if it works well on your system. On AMD it was slow reboot, but not too bad. Also, Application Control monitor did not work very well.

S

sinu

Thread author
Hello All,

I have multiple AMD systems running Windows W8.1 x86-64.

AMD systems always have problems with softs as the vast majority are developed on Intel; lots of softs do not play well on AMD systems. To make matters worse, security softwares are fussy about firmware - and especially about some OEM Windows OS installs. If you are dedicated AMD user then you know exactly what I mean...

From extensive testing, these are the AVs are stable on my specific systems.
  • Avira free
  • Avira Pro
  • Comodo Internet Security * (See WARNING ! below)
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • Emsisoft Internet Security
  • ESET NOD32
  • ESET Smart Security
  • Norton Internet Security
* WARNING ! - Some AMD\ATI Catalyst Control Center modules and graphics drivers might be Unrecognized by Comodo and auto-sandboxed. This can cause critical system issues up-to, and including, an unbootable system ("black screen"). This issue can be completely avoided or fixed by rating all objects in AMD\ATI folders as "Trusted" - or - uninstalling CCC (if you play graphics intensive games with top-of-line processor I would keep it, but for low-end system it is unnecessary\useless).

There are multiple ways to handle the AMD\ATI files in Comodo. I think this one is the most straight-forward:

Before installing Comodo, disable AMD\ATI CCC startup in Task Manager. Reboot. Install CIS. Once CIS install is complete - including required Comodo install reboot, goto File List. Add all AMD\ATI folders to list as "Trusted." Re-enable CCC startup in Task Manager. Reboot.

Every time AMD\ATI CCC is updated to next version, e.g. 14.2 -> 15.4, it is best to follow same procedure.

I admit, a bit of a rigmarole.

NOTE:

In an effort to mitigate the Comodo - AMD\ATI CCC issue, I have submitted the most recent CCC versions for white-listing by Comodo. We'll have to wait and see if they simply white-list the installer or all the .exes, .dlls, etc.

Despite my best efforts, the AVs that I could not get to work properly or malfunction on my AMD W8.1 systems include:
  • BitDefender free
  • BitDefender Internet Security
  • Kaspersky Internet Security
  • Webroot
can you suggest me best AV for win7 with AMD

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
my AMD system run 360 TS very well, Avira Pro and ESET. - tested and approved.

nice work @hjlbx ;)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
can you suggest me best AV for win7 with AMD

If you are looking for freeware security suite, then it is the same.... few internet security options. You already tried Comodo.

If you are looking for paid AV, then:
  • BitDefender
  • Emsisoft
  • ESET
  • Kaspersky
It is impossible to say which AV will work best on your specific system; you have to try trials.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
@hjlbx
Just for the record, what you said about AMD is not true. Kaspersky works flawless on either Celeron, AMD or Intel.
In regards to application control it works flawless as well just like it would on Intel.
In regards to performance you have to understand that AMD uses different technology within their CPU cores, but that does not mean that its biggest CPU can only be compared to a i5. (see here)

v3H7YtO.png

That being said i am not sure why you encounter problems with AMD and KAV/KIS products and why you would say that AMD is low end.
Low end use to be the case years ago.
Nowaday's AMD rivals INTEL in many ways and some of their CPU"s have actually a lower speed then INTEL but much higher burst speed.

Just saying buddy.

Cheers

Reactions: Kami7 and Moose

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Bitdefender
Emsisoft
ESET
Forticlient

Work very well on my system.

----------------------------------------

Comodo
AVG
Avast
Webroot
Kaspersky
Avira

Do not run very well. They did run well on my older Intel E2200 system though.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.