Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

I have CFW with EAM in one tablet which covers FW, HIPS, SB and BB

Now, I have a 2nd tablet coming and I would like to try another combo. Below are some combos which need your views

1) Avast Internet Security (FW + BB + SB) + adroxideHIPS (BB + HIPS)

2) Xvirus Personal Firewall Free (FW) + Avast AV (BB) + reHIPS (HIPS + SB)

3) DefenseWall Firewall/HIPS (FW + HIPS + SB) + Avast AV (BB)

Notes :-

a) adroxideHIPS and reHIPS have no stable release yet
b) I believe the new Avast has BB which replaces its HIPS. Needs confirmation.
c) How's DefenseWall's compatibility with Win 10 64-bit?

Thanks

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Avast Sandbox is trash, I don't recommend the time and effort to get it to work.

> Question - Need Help to Get Apps to Run in Avast Manual Sandbox (Virtualised)
I don't use a sandbox to run applications not even in CFW otherwise I would have chosen SBIE

I would rather it sandboxed a download file and alert me for my decision (like CFW) or it sandboxed a file and check against its cloud (like Avast)

Note :- Avast SB don't perform that function. See post #10 below

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Avast DeepScreen and Hardened Mode is available in Avast Free Antivirus, downgrade from Internet Security. What's SB mentioned for?

OK, you are right. Avast's SB is for running of files in isolated environment.

So CyberCapture is doing this task of sending suspicious files to its cloud for checking. Then Avast IS don't fit here.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Xirus Personal Firewall Free (FW) + adroxideHIPS + reHIPS (HIPS + SB)

Note i didn't try adroxideHIPS but if my friend @Wave it's making it there is for sure some value in using it.
If I use adroxideHIPS (HIPS +BB) and reHIPS (HIPS + SB) I'll need to disable one HIPS. Can HIPS in reHIPS be disabled? I have spoken with @Wave and he said his HIPS/BB can be disabled.

But the reply here post #6 seems that it works well with 64-bit Windows

Best HIPS or Bevavioral blocker

That's my post you are referring to. In another life and a galaxy far, far away, my handle here at MT was HJLBX. I can't remember that far back, but the "Works well on 64 bit systems, ..." isn't correct. Looks to me like I mis-edited the post.

Anyhow... immediately before the above SNAFU I mention DefenseWall is 32-bit only. When I use the terminology 32-bit only, I mean that the program will only run on 32-bit systems. Because of Patch Guard, DefenseWall won't work on W8+ 64-bit systems. Windows isn't even going to let you install it.

I am not even sure if DefenseWall can be purchased any longer. The last time I checked Ilya's website most of the page was non-functional.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If I use adroxideHIPS (HIPS +BB) and reHIPS (HIPS + SB) I'll need to disable one HIPS. Can HIPS in reHIPS be disabled? I have spoken with @Wave and he said his HIPS/BB can be disabled.
I assume it's not the same kind of hips. Rehips only controls execution of parent-child but anw if you want to disable it use Permissive mode. It will isolate based on rules but anything not in the rules gets allowed.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
That's my post you are referring to. In another life and a galaxy far, far away, my handle here at MT was HJLBX. I can't remember that far back, but the "Works well on 64 bit systems, ..." isn't correct. Looks to me like I mis-edited the post.

Anyhow... immediately before the above SNAFU I mention DefenseWall is 32-bit only. When I use the terminology 32-bit only, I mean that the program will only run on 32-bit systems. Because of Patch Guard, DefenseWall won't work on W8+ 64-bit systems.

I am not even sure if DefenseWall can be purchased any longer. The last time I checked Ilya's website most of the page was non-functional.
Thanks for the clarification

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
in rehips, you could also delete the rules for system files, if you want to do that, and just leave the rules for isolating the apps .

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I assume it's not the same kind of hips. Rehips only controls execution of parent-child but anw if you want to disable it use Permissive mode. It will isolate based on rules but anything not in the rules gets allowed.
So my final combo would be

Xvirus Personal Firewall Free (FW) + Avast AV (BB) + reHIPS (HIPS + SB) + adroxideHIPS (BB + HIPS) - 2 different HIPS here and the need to disable one BB

Thanks everyone for the help

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just for the sake of curiosity, what kind of battery life do you get with such combos on a tablet ?

What's the CPU ?
I'm using MS SP3 Core i7 4650U and MS SP4 Core i7-6650U. Both 8GB RAM with 256GB SSD running Win 10 64-bit

If I dim my screen to 0% brightness I probably could get 8 hrs. I carry the ac adapter with me.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.