Status
Not open for further replies.

DaZa9

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
I'm going to install Windows 8.1 and will be using Windows Defender
Should I use Windows Firewall? or what I heard that outpost firewall is good?
When you say X is better than D say or you prefer X than D, tell why if its possible

Tell your opinion.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: Best Firewall for Windows?

Many won't agree, but here it is:

A lot need to understand that Windows Firewall, since Windows Vista has improved drastically. Most suites are fine-tuned to the era of Windows XP before it had any software Firewall (introduced in SP2?).

I can maybe recommend TinyWall or similar another Firewall control for Windows 7 and higher, but using a full third-party option isn't required. As most inbound and outbound connections are allowed by the user, without actually realising they're doing so. For Example: Firefox is a browser, let's give it full Internet access. Ta da!

So to me, using a third-party Firewall makes no sense, unless:
1. You haven't a Hardware Firewall (no Router).
2. You're travelling a lot without adequate Network Protection (ie. risky hotspots, open connections).
Although I Windows Firewalls can manage these, just a VPN to be on the safe side for an encrypted connection - but that's another topic.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I've never had a problem with Windows Firewall since Windows 7.

Except with Avast's Streaming Updates - Good laugh right there.

If you read this far, here's a :D

Reactions: mercurial

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013

Posted by Earth - Today 11:05 AM
Many won't agree, but here it is:
I can maybe recommend TinyWall or similar another Firewall control for Windows 7 and higher, but using a full third-party option isn't required.
I would agree with that. An interesting development occurred recently with the release of the latest Avira IS. It contained no firewall, just the module to tie into the OS firewall. Either Avira became lax and decided not to bother with further development of its own firewall, or, they made an assessment that it was no longer necessary to do so for their suite in view of the efficacy of the OS firewall.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Thanks for the reminder. Yeah, even Avira Free Antivirus displays Windows Firewall, surely that tells us something.

Off-topic but related in a sense. As Avira will support XP for an extra year, maybe after that year they'll drop XP support altogether. So they could be readying up for that, by dropping their own firewall, More here.

Only speculation, so I'm not claiming these to be facts.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012

I'm going to install Windows 8.1 and will be using Windows
Defender
Should I use Windows Firewall? or what I heard that outpost
firewall is good?

As you are saying than I suggest be with window firewall,you can see all the resons on the above posts.And if you have hobby or want to play with firewalls than try others like comodo,online armor...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

On Windows 8, using any third-party firewall will just make everything much slower and cause compatibility issues with programs and apps. Windows Firewall is sufficient on Vista, 7 and 8 just like Earth stated.

If you have to use public Wifi then use free VPN service like Hotspot Shield, CyberGhost, OkayFreedom, Spotflux, SafeIP or SecurityKISS which will provide the same security as your home router.

Thanks. :D

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012

so what about a built-in router modem i have online armor premium plus i dont trust any mircosoft products especially security software example a ramsonware against windows firewall i dont think so

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

If you don't trust Microsoft Security then don't use Windows, use Linux or Mac.

Windows OS vulnerabilities can not be protected by third-party software.

You will have to trust Microsoft to patch them.

Thanks. :D

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011

i agree with earth here windows firewall since 7 and 8 its mature enough i'm using 360 security suite without firewall its up to you but personally i don't think you need it!

DaZa9

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 16, 2013

Ok thanks guys. and yes I noticed what avira did because I was a beta tester for them.
Thanks again, cheers

I

illumination

aeroasu said:
No need to explain why it is the best, try Outpost firewall and you'll see why it is the best

The OP was not specific in the title of this thread, but in the opening post, he was. He is asking which Firewall would work best on windows 8.1

Im curious, are you using Outpost on windows 8.1?

The reason littlebits asked you to clarify why you feel this firewall is best, is this thread is geared towards opinions on firewalls "and why those opinions exist", simply stating one is the best, will not suffice.

Now to answer the OP, i would have to agree with the others, especially if you are already planning to use windows defender, windows firewall in 8.1 is more then enough. Matter of fact, the default security in windows 8.1 is light and effective.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013

In my opinion the most important protection level a firewall should have is Outbound protection. This gives an extremely important layer of defense against many forms of malware that need internet access to become malicious (from trojan downloaders to the recent cryptolocker variants which need to contact the C&C).

Also many password stealers will use legitimate Remote Access software in order to break in. Inbound only defense will not help one in this case.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012

Agree with cruelsister.

In most cases Windows Firewall wirh Advanced Security and hardware firewall will protect you, but I like having control which program can "go out".

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013

Firewall Outbound Attacks Protection Test (July 2013)
Test Results of Firewalls on Standard Settings
elnjxi1qlc.jpg

Test Results of Firewalls on Maximum Settings
75ojm2axvt.jpg

http://www.anti-malware-test.com/firewall_test_outbound_protection_2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.