Best Free Antivirus 2013 Award Goes To…

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Ok I received this in my mail and figured i'd share it with you all, Now I don't keep up with all the different security programs like some of you do (some I don't care about) so I can't wait to see some opinions on this article...
http://www.blogsolute.com/best-free-antivirus-2013-award-goes-to/25626/

P

Plexx

Avast has the highest market share (maximum number of users estimating around 150 million) in the world.
Along with such high numbers, comes an extremely high numbers of technical difficulty threads in the forum on a daily basis.

Lately, avast! has suffered a decline in performance, with increasingly slow scans and consumption of resources away from what would be optimal. Maybe after all this time, it is stagnating and need a refresh.

That was true on the previous patch but not on the latest one, at least on my machines.

It boasts a usable, uncluttered interface and a set of features that keeps it at the forefront of Windows security.

Fully agree.

But how effective is AVG Virus detection engine? Detection rate is identical to that of avast!, And its performance is among the best. To this we must add a toolbar to the browser with utilities to protect privacy.

Not really forced to add AVG toolbar for web protection. A very good option is K9 Web Protection.
AVG detection is not identical to avast!. In fact avast! has higher detection.
Performance be the best, well depends on the system, just like avast or any other solution.

Ad Aware:
It has one of the most powerful engines on the market (GFI Vipre) in terms of detection, and still has a solid antispyware protection. Limited range of functions could be only negative aspect about this antivirus.

Debatable comments in regards to detection observations the reviewer did.
That aside, Lavasoft did improved compared to previous builds with the av module included.

Still trying to understand exactly the pros and cons that made him decide on AVIRA being 1st place.

Data on detection is from VB, yet most reasons to base his/her opinions are rather inconclusive or omitted on purpose. I would really take half of the stuff that is written on that site with a big pinch of salt.

Personally, I don’t rely on Free Antivirus for security of my system instead use Bitdefender which is #1 in Paid antivirus. Stay tuned, I will soon be posting Best Paid Antivirus 2013 too.

Hint Hint, BD will be getting most probably on the paid version of the "reviews".

I predict a showdown between KIS/KAV/PURE and BD (variations of the 3 packages BD offers)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.