Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
When friends ask me "What free Antivirus should I use on my system?" I was always recommending Avast...
Then, after one-two months, inexperienced friends call me to say somethin' like :
"What did you put on my system?, it says license expired..."
"You said it's a free AV..."
and similar stupidity o_O

Then, I come to visit "those computers" :D and first things I see is Avast! Internet Security, trial license expired...

After binding my friends to an old chair and point the spotlight to their eyes, they admit that, after Avast asked them to update the program version, they clicked to try Avast Internet Security for free...

It's not completely their fault, Avast has that deceptive trick to deceive users when updating to new version, to click on Avast Internet Security as Avast really says "Try Avast IS for FREE" or somethin'

So, we need an Antivirus/Security Suite that is the best in point of "AV for dummies"

What's your opinion? :)

Y

yigido

The easiest would be "Microsoft Security Essentials/ Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1" but not the most secure, it's better than no Antivirus though
Thanks God..nowadays ıt comes with windows update.. :D inexperienced users you have no chance in this cyber war :p :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
I

illumination

I would recommend backing up that system, and regularly back up from that point on out, as any software you place on there will not be adequate for inexperienced users. This is not to knock novices, but security can only protect so much that the users themselves do.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I would recommend backing up that system, and regularly back up from that point on out, as any software you place on there will not be adequate for inexperienced users. This is not to knock novices, but security can only protect so much that the users themselves do.

I agree with illumination, '...security can only protect so much that..users themselves do.', and even those of us *clears throat* (ahem..):rolleyes: who are late graduates of the MSN (MT School of Novices):p can learn to use our brains better so that UAC can always mean "User Activated":) rather than o_O:oops:"User Asleep.."!:D
Btw, I checked Microsoft as we use the default AV for both Windows 7 & 8.1, and an XP protected by Avira Free. I've used AVG & Avast free versions in the past, but feel novices (less experienced than even me):confused: would do best by begining with their Windows defaults 1st, and before graduation from The University of MalwareTips Novices,:cool: in order to better appreciate the vast world of both free & paid 3rd party AV software out there.:)
...and as Koroke San mentioned: "..Windows Firewall".;)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Well, I agree with some of you (even I gave a like to everyone :p )

Of course, If user cannot protect him/herself, clicking just everywhere and downloading "zero-day" patches, activators for the new games, and games bundled with toolbars, when the commercial jumps out "YOU WON 1 000 000$" and they click to redeem the prize :D
They probably get infected sooner or later.
But, if user cannot distinguish what is a danger and what is not, if user only sits by computer to check Facebook, Youtube, play games, listen a music and really do not want to learn anything beside it, how he/she can possibly know how to backup computer, or system partition, or let them fooling around the internet without and AV...
They actually don't know how computers work in the first place :D
Of course, I used to say : " If you do not know how to use computer then don't use it at all", well... It's wrong...
Not everyone is interested in technology and computers, and their interest goes somewhere else, like sports, medicine, movies, music...
And some of them will not learn anything about what we are all talking about here. And they are not wrong.

They just need an AV that :
  • automatically updates it's definitions
  • automatically updates to the new version
  • automatically deals with malware
  • don't let them go or click any malicious webpage
  • ... maybe something else I cannot remember at the moment :D

Bitdefender seems to be a good option, just as @KaptainBug said
Even experienced users can't fiddle anything with it
Also, Unchecky would be a good add - protection for toolbars and stuff.
If not, maybe MSE / Windows Defender seems to be a good alternative...

I

illumination

Well, I agree with some of you (even I gave a like to everyone :p )

Of course, If user cannot protect him/herself, clicking just everywhere and downloading "zero-day" patches, activators for the new games, and games bundled with toolbars, when the commercial jumps out "YOU WON 1 000 000$" and they click to redeem the prize :D
They probably get infected sooner or later.
But, if user cannot distinguish what is a danger and what is not, if user only sits by computer to check Facebook, Youtube, play games, listen a music and really do not want to learn anything beside it, how he/she can possibly know how to backup computer, or system partition, or let them fooling around the internet without and AV...
They actually don't know how computers work in the first place :D
Of course, I used to say : " If you do not know how to use computer then don't use it at all", well... It's wrong...
Not everyone is interested in technology and computers, and their interest goes somewhere else, like sports, medicine, movies, music...
And some of them will not learn anything about what we are all talking about here. And they are not wrong.

They just need an AV that :
  • automatically updates it's definitions
  • automatically updates to the new version
  • automatically deals with malware
  • don't let them go or click any malicious webpage
  • ... maybe something else I cannot remember at the moment :D

Bitdefender seems to be a good option, just as @KaptainBug said .
Also, Unchecky would be a good add - protection for toolbars and stuff.
If not, maybe MSE / Windows Defender seems to be a good alternative...

It is much easier to teach them to back up their system, then it is to teach them to be safe on the internet "takes a lot less time too".. I have taught people in 10 minutes how to do so.. With back ups, they can still run security, and try to remain safe, but when that fails, their backside "and yours" is covered.. :)

Reactions: Solarlynx

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Why didn't you advice your friend to use norton antivirus or norton internet security 6 months trial ??
Norton is a zero maintainance tool. Will do (almost) everything on its own.
And its good on protection too. And comes with a Norton Safe Web browser extension and also a login/password manager.

P.S.- I know this thread is for free antivirus only. But NAV/NIS 6 months trial is free too.

Reactions: Solarlynx

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
It is much easier to teach them to back up their system, then it is to teach them to be safe on the internet "takes a lot less time too".. I have taught people in 10 minutes how to do so.. With back ups, they can still run security, and try to remain safe, but when that fails, their backside "and yours" is covered.. :)
Again, there are people that knows only (for example) :

"Ok, this button will turn on computer
Ok, I click there to log in into Facebook
Click here to listen some songs on Youtube
and click here to turn off the computer"

When I said, for example, "Listen, you right click on Recycle Bin and click on Run CCleaner, it's easy you see..." and if anything unexpected happens they will
jackie-chan-wtf-face-meme-i9.jpg

I wouldn't teach them how to backup :D
Like I said above, the question is "What free AV is the best for inexperienced users?"

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Like I said above, the question is "What free AV is the best for inexperienced users?"

Step 1: Install Comodo Internet Security:
AV - Stateful
FW - Custom
Auto-Sandbox - disabled
HIPS - Paranoid + Verbose Alerts :D

Then don't forget:

Step 2: You through away all your phone numbers known to the inexperienced user.

Step 3: You disappear from the city of the inexperienced user.

Step 4: You live where there are no people who knows both you and the inexperienced user.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Step 1: Install Comodo Internet Security:
AV - Stateful
FW - Custom
Auto-Sandbox - disabled
HIPS - Paranoid + Verbose Alerts :D

Then don't forget:

Step 2: You through away all your phone numbers known to the inexperienced user.

Step 3: You disappear from the city of the inexperienced user.

Step 4: You live where there are no people who knows both you and the inexperienced user.
and do harakiri if he/she sees me somewhere
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.