Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
When friends ask me "What free Antivirus should I use on my system?" I was always recommending Avast...
Then, after one-two months, inexperienced friends call me to say somethin' like :
"What did you put on my system?, it says license expired..."
"You said it's a free AV..."
and similar stupidity o_O

Then, I come to visit "those computers" :D and first things I see is Avast! Internet Security, trial license expired...

After binding my friends to an old chair and point the spotlight to their eyes, they admit that, after Avast asked them to update the program version, they clicked to try Avast Internet Security for free...

It's not completely their fault, Avast has that deceptive trick to deceive users when updating to new version, to click on Avast Internet Security as Avast really says "Try Avast IS for FREE" or somethin'

So, we need an Antivirus/Security Suite that is the best in point of "AV for dummies"

What's your opinion? :)

I

illumination

Step 1: Install Comodo Internet Security:
AV - Stateful
FW - Custom
Auto-Sandbox - disabled
HIPS - Paranoid + Verbose Alerts :D

Then don't forget:

Step 2: You through away all your phone numbers known to the inexperienced user.

Step 3: You disappear from the city of the inexperienced user.

Step 4: You live where there are no people who knows both you and the inexperienced user.

LOL....

Reactions: Solarlynx
D

Deleted member 178

and if they finally manage to find you :

say: "i told you not to touch this button !"
then "anyway you computer surely bugged, there is no way we can predict that issue, windows is an OS full of bugs, you can google it if you don't believe me..."

:D

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
and if they finally manage to find you :

say: "i told you not to touch this button !"
then "anyway you computer surely bugged, there is no way we can predict that issue, windows is an OS full of bugs, you can google it if you don't believe me..."

:D
I think I will not have enough time to say all that...
2170339-52469-189308-Rabble1jpg-620x.jpg

I

illumination

Again, there are people that knows only (for example) :

"Ok, this button will turn on computer
Ok, I click there to log in into Facebook
Click here to listen some songs on Youtube
and click here to turn off the computer"

When I said, for example, "Listen, you right click on Recycle Bin and click on Run CCleaner, it's easy you see..." and if anything unexpected happens they will
jackie-chan-wtf-face-meme-i9.jpg

I wouldn't teach them how to backup :D
Like I said above, the question is "What free AV is the best for inexperienced users?"

I deal with people like this a lot.. The kind, that have to look at the screen, then the keyboard, then the screen, back and forth 5 times before actually hitting a key, to make sure they hit the right one in the right place..

It is why i suggested the back up.. You do the first "initial Back up" of their system for them "externally" either via disk or some other means, then teach them the basics of backing up their important stuff like pics ect to a flash drive, not hard, it is drag and drop.., i have taught many that could barley figure out how to get the system on and off.. That first initial back up is your failsafe, should something happen, the system is covered. It is their responsibility to back up their personal stuff, and not hard to do once shown.

Then there will be no worries of angry mobs ;) :D

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
@BoraMurdar Remember to register an account for Bitdefender Free Antivirus, otherwise you can only use for 60-days.

You could accompany MSE/WD with Unchecky to help prevent unwanted installs of Toolbars etc.
Yep BitDefender asks to... Just like Avast, but in avast you can enter gajgddgusussusgyd@gmail.com and it will accept :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Most inexperienced users will get infected no matter what security setup they choose to use.
So the best option would be to not use a product that flags high false positives, has pop up alerts, compatibility issues, requires tweaking or advanced configuration, etc. That would need a product that just automatically blocks malware without distributing them or interfering with programs. The only product that falls into this category would be Microsoft security Essentials or Windows Defender (Windows 8).

I have had inexperienced customers and one thing most do know how to do is uninstall programs.
When a security product blocks one of their programs or flags false positives, they will simply uninstall it and go without any protection.

Thanks. :D

Reactions: Ink and Petrovic

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Microsoft might not intend for Defender in Windows 8 to replace a full third-party AV suite. However, among lots of users, this will most likely be the effect. Defender provides far more protection than no antivirus software. Defender has some down sides compared to our favorite paid third-party suites :D. Updates aren’t as frequent and Defender is not as proactive. Defender doesn’t cost anything extra, though — and the many Windows users who don’t typically install any AV software will be better off because of its inclusion.
Defender is hard to find in the operating system without searching for it. Yet this can be a good thing for many users, who don’t want security software to be intrusive.

Reactions: Solarlynx and Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.