Advice Request Best Free Softwares for Windows

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Many thanks for this list! I tried WPS and Foxit Reader. They work pretty well on my device. I also want to share some software with you guys. Hope you will find them useful.

* Video Player -
VLC
* Grammar Checker - Grammarly
* Desktop remote access - TeamViewer
* DVD converter - WinX DVD Ripper
* File Transfer -
SHAREit
I had some shady stuff happening when trying to use shareit! For LAN only I use duckto. (Doesn't work across internet though) Dukto It's amazing simple and FAST! Just not maintained anymore. But still works fine on Win10 1909 64 bit!

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
*Anti-malware - Replaced Zemana Antimalware with Emsisoft Emergency Kit (Jun 11 2020)
*Archiver- Replaced Bandizip with 7-zip (Apr 26 2020)

Bandizip was great, however it started showing ads on it's interface. Hence I made the switch to 7zip

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is still a partial list, and more categories will be added soon. Sadly I had to limit to 1 software per category. Also included only desktop software's no browser extensions etc.

Some suggestions for the following; Pick and mix, options for other OSes.
Software TypeNew SuggestionNotes
Ad-BlockerAdguard DNSUniversal / Apps / Router
CalendarOutlook CalendarMicrosoft account required
Desktop SearchVoidtools' Search EverythingWindows only
Device File TransferAirDropmacOS and iOS only
File ManagerFiles UWP PreviewWindows 10 only
Music ManagerSpotify FreeUniversal / Apps / Optional subscription. Spotify account required. Exceptions where not available on certain regions.
Office SuiteGoogle Docs (Offline), Pages/Sheets (Apple)Google account required. Apple iCloud and compatible devices required.
Video ChatSkype, FaceTime (Apple), WhatsApp Video (Facebook)Microsoft account required for Skype. Apple iCloud and compatible devices required. Registered mobile number required.
Video Recording / StreamingXbox Game Bar (Screen Recording)Windows 10 only.
Anti-TelemetryWindows Privacy Dashboard (WPD)Windows 10 only. Easier to use than ShutUp10.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Radio Player - Audials
Any idea, what are the limitations of the free version? It is much better than ODIO it is updated for one. EDIT: I see, it has the limited number of stations.

Video Recording/Streaming - Open Broadcaster Software
This is like an updated OBS (I had some issues with it), it seems to give a better quality for people like me, who do not know, how to setup anything. 😅

File Archiver - 7-zip
A few more features. I prefer 7-zip myself, but some might like it.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

A good alternative if you will is MPC-BE which I have for awhile now finally moving away from SMPlayer (on windows)
In the past i use VLC for a very long time, but with the upcoming problems and security bugs i switch to MPC-HC but because of development stop, i switch to MPC-BE.
Today i use Windows internal Video app (AppContainer!)

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I've been using this tool recently for subtitles: Subtitle Edit
It has lots of features but I only use very few. Removing hearing impaired texts, syncing and fixing time with several methods and auto break features have been very useful.
Would like to know your impression and experience on how it compares against Subtitle Workshop, Jubler, Subtitle creator, OpenSubtitle Editor, Subtitle Magic, AegisSub, DivXLand Media Subtitler if you have used any of them.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Any idea, what are the limitations of the free version? It is much better than ODIO it is updated for one. EDIT: I see, it has the limited number of stations.

This is like an updated OBS (I had some issues with it), it seems to give a better quality for people like me, who do not know, how to setup anything. 😅

A few more features. I prefer 7-zip myself, but some might like it.

Streamlabs looks really good.
Peazip has slower extraction and compression speed compared to Bandizip & 7zip from my testing.
I don't use an internet radio player nowadays, so do let me know which one looks best from your side.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Would like to know your impression and experience on how it compares against Subtitle Workshop, Jubler, Subtitle creator, OpenSubtitle Editor, Subtitle Magic, AegisSub, DivXLand Media Subtitler if you have used any of them.
Man you know about a lot of these kind of software o_O
I have only used Aegisub from what you mentioned which didn't have option to remove hearing impaired text.
But I have to tell, I use Subtitle Edit for only some basic purposes like I mentioned above. I'm not a right person for the knowledge of these tools extensively. I'll test them out to see how they fit my purposes however.

There's something I want to ask since you seem knowledgeable in various kinds of tools. Do you know any good GUI based tool to batch remux videos from .ts and .avi files to .mp4? I know mkvtoolnix but it can only remux to .mkv format and not to .mp4. ffmpeg doesn't have GUI. Avidemux can only do 1 at a time.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Man you know about a lot of these kind of software o_O
I have only used Aegisub from what you mentioned which didn't have option to remove hearing impaired text.
But I have to tell, I use Subtitle Edit for only some basic purposes like I mentioned above. I'm not a right person for the knowledge of these tools extensively. I'll test them out to see how they fit my purposes however.

There's something I want to ask since you seem knowledgeable in various kinds of tools. Do you know any good GUI based tool to batch remux videos from .ts and .avi files to .mp4? I know mkvtoolnix but it can only remux to .mkv format and not to .mp4. ffmpeg doesn't have GUI. Avidemux can only do 1 at a time.

As an editor at Gizmo's Freeware, I normally test a lot of free software's if it's in my area of interest for review purposes.

As for your request, you can try XMediaRecode, it's free and portable and one of the best free audio video converters i have had the pleasure of using. I've listed the same in my initial post. Not sure if it works as intended for you, because I haven't used any conversion utilities for a while.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
As an editor at Gizmo's Freeware, I normally test a lot of free software's if it's in my area of interest for review purposes.

As for your request, you can try XMediaRecode, it's free and portable and one of the best free audio video converters i have had the pleasure of using. I've listed the same in my initial post. Not sure if it works as intended for you, because I haven't used any conversion utilities for a while.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try this software.
Edit: It was what I was looking for. Thanks.

I also tested out the subtitle software you listed and I still prefer Subtitle Edit over them but again since I'm not a professional take my decision with a grain of salt on this :D
I couldn't find Subtitle Magic software however and the ones shown in Google didn't look like the correct ones.

Last edited:

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Nice find. Downloading to test now.
I prefer Franz, but the free version just let you have 3 applications, hits enough for me: messenger, WhatsApp and tweeter.

1601155745637.png

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I prefer Franz, but the free version just let you have 3 applications, hits enough for me: messenger, WhatsApp and tweeter.
That limitation was the reason why AIO Messenger got the spot. I liked Franz too.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.