Advice Request Best Free Softwares for Windows

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
Let me contribute to this thread with some of my favorite freeware:

PowerPro is a toolbar/launcher, but believe me if you are a tweaking and customization freak you will find yourself in heaven! There is support from the developer in this group and he has been exceptionally helpful when questions arise. The program has so many features that it would take me a whole day to enumerate.

CopyQ is one of the best clipboard managers that you will ever find. I hold this view because I did very extensive research of this matter.
Similarly Ditto is an excellent clipboard manager and i used to use it before CopyQ.

Go to DonationCoder.com for really amazing software. My favorites are Find And Run Robot which I used for a while and LaunchBar Commander, a great launchbar, but not as powerful as PowerPro.

AutoHotkey is a utility that I've used to automate a few desktop tasks. No programming experience is necessary!

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I prefer Franz, but the free version just let you have 3 applications, hits enough for me: messenger, WhatsApp and tweeter.

View attachment 246662

There's Ferdi

but also Rambox Community Ed:

Dark mode for both:

Reactions: Nevi and Freud2004

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
but also Rambox Community Ed:

Dark mode for both:

Does Rambox support Jabber protocol?

Only reason I use Pidgin is because of Jabber protocol + Telegram. Jabber is essential for me due to pings mechanic

Reactions: Nevi

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Does Rambox support Jabber protocol?

Only reason I use Pidgin is because of Jabber protocol + Telegram. Jabber is essential for me due to pings mechanic

I'm not familiar with the Jabber protocol, but some describe fixes here (search for "jabber"):

Reactions: Nevi

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I prefer Franz, but the free version just let you have 3 applications, hits enough for me: messenger, WhatsApp and tweeter.
All-in-One Messenger did not work for me as I need Hangouts (not Google Chat, which I got when I clicked the Hangouts icon). I tried Franz which displays Hangouts in a browser window... I was hoping for a compact design. Along with Android Messages, which I'm alerted to via Pushbullet, I didn't see an advantage to Franz, and I uninstalled it as well. With just two messaging services, I'll stay with Pushbullet (free).

Reactions: Nevi and Freud2004

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
I change my media player to PotPlayer, KMplayer is great, but he uses too much CPU and less GPU, Pot player has the same balance betewee CPU/GPU as VLC. From this three VLC is the one with lower image quality and sound, KMplayer and PotPlayer are better.
So I change the default player to Potplayer and keep VLC for strange media flies, I uninstall the KMplayer because of the demand of CPU.

Reactions: Nevi and ColonelMal

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Removed Glasswire from Network Monitor. Seems like there's no free version of Glasswire anymore.

Try Netlimiter, I change from Glasswired to netlimiter and no regrets. But netlimiter is not a firewall, has other characteristics.

1608834996956.png

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
  • Qbittorrent: Excellent free ,clean and opensource alternative for utorrent/bittorrent
  • PDFSAM: excellent tool for merging ,extracting and split Pdf files to complement Foxit reader to have some professional version "FoxitPhantom"
  • Vodooshield free version: excellent default deny software which complement my free AV "KSC free" to make it great combo :)
  • Wise Disk cleaner: Excellent free cleaner for Windows

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Do you know any good duplicate files finder?
I did a search online for this and came up with this website. The comments following the short article have a few additional suggestions.

12 Best Duplicate File Finder Software for Windows 10 & Mac [2021] | Top IT Software Site URL--VirusTotal 0/80

I've used TreeSize folder identification software with good success. It just lists all files and folders, so duplicates would be included. There is, however, a slight learning curve, it's not point-and-click and voila, so it likely won't be at the top of the list.

• +Reputation
  • Thanks
Reactions: Nevi and Tiamati

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Ty. I'll take a look at the list.

I've already used duplicate cleaner and it's the best i know (but expensive). Ccleaner option doesn't work well as Wise too.
I've used TreeSize folder identification software with good success. It just lists all files and folders, so duplicates would be included. There is, however, a slight learning curve, it's not point-and-click and voila, so it likely won't be at the top of the list.
Wise Duplicate Finder is a better option in this case. Check for the version 1.3.4.42. There is a giveaway of this version available.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Ty. I'll take a look at the list.

I've already used duplicate cleaner and it's the best i know (but expensive). Ccleaner option doesn't work well as Wise too.

Wise Duplicate Finder is a better option in this case. Check for the version 1.3.4.42. There is a giveaway of this version available.
@plat1098 and
@jackuars I made some tests with duplicate finders programs.
I tested:

Wise Duplicate Finder (giveaway full version)

Auslogics is the best one cause it's preconfigured to avoid sensitive folders and files and to look for bigger than 1 mb files. Its easy to use, completely configurable, and let you open files directly through the search windows. However some AV mark it as PUP because it asks to install some bloatware. It also send anonymous information if you are not careful during install process.

Glary DF is in second place. It does most things Auslogics does, but you need to configure it to find some files, like *.mp4; However, it doesn't let you open files directly through the search window.

DupeGuru is the best one to find similar but not exaclty the same files.

VisiPics seems to do some good job comparing similar images.

Maybe @jackuars could add any of them to the list ;)

Last edited:

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Do you know any good duplicate files finder? I'm using wise duplicate finder but I'm not sure if there is any other free and good option
Haven't tried it but noticed this one the other day, Double Finder?:

... and for photos, Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder worked for me:

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m and Nevi

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I use a lot of portables and needed to bulk change shortcut paths so I'd also like to punt this s/w, worked well and really helped me out (even donated):

... and this simple bandwidth monitor. I have been using SoftPerfect Networx but this is now paid, and NetTraffic will do what I need:

Just some recent discoveries, as you can see I like portables.
If you do too, I also recommend SyMenu (less well known than PortableApps.com, but also do a great job), actively maintained and worth supporting!

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
@plat1098 and
@jackuars I made some tests with duplicate finders programs.
I tested:

Wise Duplicate Finder (giveaway full version)

Auslogics is the best one cause it's preconfigured to avoid sensitive folders and files and to look for bigger than 1 mb files. Its easy to use, completely configurable, and let you open files directly through the search windows. However some AV mark it as PUP because it asks to install some bloatware. It also send anonymous information if you are not careful during install process.

Glary DF is in second place. It does most things Auslogics does, but you need to configure it to find some files, like *.mp4; However, it doesn't let you open files directly through the search window.

DupeGuru is the best one to find similar but not exaclty the same files.

VisiPics seems to do some good job comparing similar images.

Maybe @jackuars could add any of them to the list ;)
Hi @Tiamati well done with the review. I will add Auslogics to the list of Duplicate file finder.

I don't use any separate tool for finding duplicate files, as I use a file manager like FreeCommander, instead of Windows file manager, that has loads of file management features including Duplicate files finder, File searching, Multi rename, Wipe tools, folder comparison, FTP client, filters management and file/folder favorites. These are just few among it's other features.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Hi @Tiamati well done with the review. I will add Auslogics to the list of Duplicate file finder.

I don't use any separate tool for finding duplicate files, as I use a file manager like FreeCommander, instead of Windows file manager, that has loads of file management features including Duplicate files finder, File searching, Multi rename, Wipe tools, folder comparison, FTP client, filters management and file/folder favorites. These are just few among it's other features.
I'll take a look! Ty!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.