Battle Best Free Uninstaller App (& Difference vs CCleaner, etc)

vertigo

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 18, 2018
I'm looking for the best free uninstaller in terms of safety (not deleting stuff it shouldn't) > performance (deleting as much as possible of what it should). I've never used a dedicated uninstaller program before, nor have I really felt the need to. I install tons of programs, and I've rarely had difficulties removing them, certainly nothing a reboot didn't help resolve. And I've typically just used CCleaner periodically to clean up extra crap left behind. That said, I'm interested in trying one or two, but it's not important enough for me to pay for, let alone an annual fee, hence why Revo isn't an option (the free version of it doesn't have full x64 support and I seem to recall reading another issue with the free version). Here's my options and what I like and don't like about each (and please explain why you prefer a certain program):

Primo / Regshot (Primo is a newer fork of Regshot)
+Completely free & open-source
+Use snapshots (I realize this isn't a perfect way of doing it and has potential drawbacks, but to me it seems like it would be the most thorough and accurate)
+Seem to have a good reputation
+Portable

Mirekusoft Install Monitor
+Realtime monitoring of installations (don't have to remember to manually take a snapshot before and after)
-Realtime monitoring (having a program always running just to monitor the occasional install seems counter-productive, and I'd probably lose more performance from this than I would gain from the cleaner uninstalls)
-Freeware according to majorgeeks but have to buy from mirekusoft website, which doesn't specify license duration, so that's not very encouraging (only reasons I'm considering this despite it costing $ is due to the monitoring and if it's a lifetime license, not a subscription)

ZSoft Uninstaller
+Completely free
+Uses snapshots
-Doesn't seem as widely used/regarded as others

Soft Organizer
+Uses snapshots
-Not free and website doesn't specify duration of license, probably won't use but if it's a lifetime license and really good I might

Geek Uninstaller Free
+Good reputation
+Seems to do well in reviews
+Portable
-Free version is limited

Wise Program Uninstaller
+Free
+Wise products appear to be well-liked
-Says "No need to install it" on download page but then gives you a setup file

IObit Uninstaller
+Many people seem to really like it
+/-Free(mium)
-People don't like IObit*

CCleaner / Kerish Doctor / Wise Care 365 / PrivaZer
What's the difference between using an uninstaller program, which runs the official uninstaller then cleans up what's left, vs running the official uninstaller through add/remove then using one of these programs to do the clean up? Is it just that the uninstaller apps have a more limited, and therefore safer, scope, or is there more to it, i.e. do the uninstaller programs use "definitions" to know what to look for and where vs just looking randomly for trash or use some other method that goes beyond what these programs do?

*From what I can tell, people take issue with IObit over them stealing MWB's definitions years ago. I don't know much about that, or if it was even proven, but if it is indeed true I wouldn't want to give them my business. However, since this is a free app, if that's the only issue people have with them, I see no reason not to use it if it's good. So is that it, or are there other reasons to avoid their products? I ask not only in regards to this but their Unlocker program which I use.

OT, when I tried posting this with too many tags, I got the following error:
  • You may only apply 10 tags to this content.
  • This content may only have 5 tags in total.
Huh?? Which is it, 5 or 10 (it's 10, BTW)?

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Honestly I find IObit a bad, clunky, and even dangerous program
What do you find dangerous about it? On rare occasions, it will find files and registry keys that do not belong to the software it just uninstalled. But, the same can said for Revo and other alternatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberTech

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: CyberTech

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't think you'll find much difference between the two. You can often get IObit Uninstaller Pro as a giveaway.
Ok, just found a review

The best software uninstaller 2018: remove stubborn programs | TechRadar

Apparently, IObit Uninstaller Pro lacks of tracking newly installed programs.

On the other hand Geek Uninstaller Pro, like Revo Uninstaller Pro, has the ability to track newly installed programs and it's a lifetime offer for the subscription of US$24.95

Have you tried Geek Uninstaller Pro?

ChemicalB

Level 8
Verified
Sep 14, 2018
Sometimes I use GeekUninstaller free, but a question, I've uninstalled some Windows Apps like People, Mail, Contacts, Photo, etc, and Geek has found hundreds of leftovers: files and registry entries.
I've deleted everything with no apparent problems, is this procedure correct or some problem might happen?
Thanks guys.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Reactions: HarborFront

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I have been using Revo Uninstaller Pro version 3 for years and I am satisfied so far.
currently there is version 4, but I do not have the key to it, and the key from version 3 does not match any more, so by 4 I can not say anything.
I also use Reg Organizer 8.16 to uninstall programs and so far I have not had problems with leftovers after uninstalling programs.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I have two x64 systems running Revo Uninstaller Portable on both. With no problems whatsoever. I did read OPs reasons stating why, but I'm putting my own experience for you into account, you don't have to go by what I'm saying however.

~LDogg

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Revo's upgrade "discount" offered is quite poor. I must pay to upgrade my v3 to v4 ... leaving a version that never expires for a time-limited version. Are you kidding? IObit will thrive.

Revo should offer free 1-year upgrades from v3 to v4... as a minimum. Yes even with "deal" I would not upgrade.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I have been using Revo Uninstaller 3 since the dinosaurs. It cleans up.

Version 4 requires that you buy a new license which I understand. But right now I don't have the need to do so.

Reactions: Weebarra
L

Local Host

Sometimes I use GeekUninstaller free, but a question, I've uninstalled some Windows Apps like People, Mail, Contacts, Photo, etc, and Geek has found hundreds of leftovers: files and registry entries.
I've deleted everything with no apparent problems, is this procedure correct or some problem might happen?
Thanks guys.
You may run into issues with that behaviour, as Geek Uninstaller just searches for the name of the APP across the regedit and files (it can't properly track the files the program itself created, unless you use the Pro Version).

Which means you may end up deleting KEYs with similar names that may cause issues (especially Microsoft APPs), is actually something I noticed the first time I used Geek Uninstaller while uninstalling Microsoft APPs it was flagging unrelated KEYs to the APP I was uninstalling.

Uninstaller Programs are as dangerous as Deep Registry Scanners, you need to keep an eye out and not just press NEXT. Around two years ago I had a client who liked to used IObit Uninstaller, and pretty much messed up the whole Windows 10 System (that I had just cleaned installed three days before) to the point he didn't have access to his own files.

ChemicalB

Level 8
Verified
Sep 14, 2018
You may run into issues with that behaviour, as Geek Uninstaller just searches for the name of the APP across the regedit and files (it can't properly track the files the program itself created, unless you use the Pro Version).

Which means you may end up deleting KEYs with similar names that may cause issues (especially Microsoft APPs), is actually something I noticed the first time I used Geek Uninstaller while uninstalling Microsoft APPs it was flagging unrelated KEYs to the APP I was uninstalling.

Uninstaller Programs are as dangerous as Deep Registry Scanners, you need to keep an eye out and not just press NEXT. Around two years ago I had a client who liked to used IObit Uninstaller, and pretty much messed up the whole Windows 10 System (that I had just cleaned installed three days before) to the point he didn't have access to his own files.
That's what I was thinking, luckily I have a OS backup previously done in case of problems.
Thanks a lot mate for your detailed answer (y)

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
Rollback rx is a good uninstaller if you save snapshots before installing new software. Free version has 7 snapshots and paid has unlimited.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Is RollbackRx specific to a singular install? For example, if I want to fully uninstall a program I added a week ago, can RollbackRX do that without losing everything else I've done over the past week after I initially added that program?

I didn't know that was possible with RollbackRX although it is w/Revo (and other uninstallers).

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
Think of it like Shadow Defender but with many snapshots that you can go backwards and forwards from at any given time. Each time you install a new software rollback will prompt you to save a "event-driven snapshot" so you can easily go back in time. It doesn't look for registry key remnants and left over files, it just restores the whole operating system to the way it was when you took the snapshot kind of like a VM. You can also schedule snapshots on a monthly/weekly/daily/hourly basis.

You can even go back to the snapshot you created a week ago and then mount a virtual drive to explore a later-in-time snapshot to grab any important files you need. Hope that made sense lol.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.