Compare Performance BEST Free VM: Oracle VirtualBox or VMware Workstation Player?

Discussion in 'Compare Apps' started by Soulweave, Mar 5, 2016.

?

Which Virtual Machine Software do you prefer/recommend and why?

1. Oracle VirtualBox version 5 because...

48 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. VMware Workstation Player 12 because...

28 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Soulweave

Soulweave Moderator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 14, 2015
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    List of products to compare:
    Oracle VirtualBox 5.0.16 vs VMware Workstation Player 12.0.1
    What I am most interested about:
    • Learning curve (Ease of Use)
    • Graphical User Interface
    As many of the users in MT use Virtual Machines, between the two free options, which one you recommend and why?

What features does each contain that you use?
    What OS do use it inside the VM (Virtual Machine)?

2. Kate_L

Kate_L Former Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Computer Security
    Oracle VirtualBox version 5 because...
    It's Free and has regular updates, bugs are fixed quick + OpenSource.
    Works amazing on Windows and Linux (my malware research setup / automated malware analysis is on linux) + VirtualBox-Tools give VirtualBox compatibility and usability (faster and better performance then VMPlayer).

3. kev216

kev216 Level 18
    Content Creator Trusted

Aug 6, 2014
    Belgium
    Windows 10
    Sophos
    I used them both. First I used Oracle Virtualbox, which was very good, but after I tried VMWare Workstation player, I like VMWare more. The drag and drop between host and VM are better there and overall it runs faster on my pc and is a bit lighter than Virtualbox.
    The only thing that is maybe different in terms of being free is that to be able to use VMWare, you need to provide an email adress, but of course that can also be a serpate junk email adress.
    I use Windows 7 and Windows 10 VM's (both x86)
    For me, VMware wins the battle, but they are both good products.

4. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Virtual Box because it is free and you have unlimited number of snapshots.

5. Exterminator

Exterminator Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2012
    USA
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    VMware has better host to guest integration.Windows 10 runs smooth and snapshot options are better.

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Level 22

Nov 8, 2014
    Student
    India
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    VMWare because, its smoother and has more adherence to corporate standards. Also Vbox is open source and freeware for personal/comm. use.

7. McLovin

McLovin Level 61
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 17, 2011
    I stream ✌
    Queensland, Australia
    Windows 10
    Trend Micro
    Gonna have to agree with @exterminator20 much better host to guest integration. Now that being said VirtualBox is open source so both have their advantages.

Sr. Normal 2.0 and Yash Khan like this.
  8. Soulweave

Soulweave Moderator

Jan 14, 2015
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Tho I do have the Pro version and not Player, I will speak from VMware in general prespective vs Virtual Box.

For Linux Guest OSes, VB is more stable and offer better performance. Also easier to install Guest additions in Linux.

For Windows Guest OSes, VMware takes the lead, as above mentioned, such as better host to guest integration, better graphics support (trivial I know but still a plus)

Now on both free versions, VB offers more quality of life options that you will only find it in VMware pro version. Another thing is its resource usage as well as running services. VB doesn't have any service until you actually run the software, while VMware has it constantly.

9. Freakj

Freakj New Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Pink Floyd
    I use Virtualbox because It's easier to use and also consume few resources than VMWare.

btw, with Virtualbox (I have 4GB) I can run multiple Windows 7 instances. With VMWare it crashes my computer :)

10. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61
    Trusted

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    They have little difference when it terms of reliability and strong concept of virtualization. I found Virtualbox as easy to access from features considering its an open source program whereas VMware useful tools can be found on their Workstation if you are willing to invest a good budget.

11. FrankS

FrankS Level 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Germany
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    #11 FrankS, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2016
    Why I want to compare:
    Currently I'm using VirtualBox because at the time I was looking for a virtualization program I found VirtualBox at first and it looked clear, easy to use and professionally.
    I want to read what you're using and why you do prefer it against the other one.

Which features are you prefering? Which program and why?

12. Spawn

Spawn Administrator

Jan 8, 2011
    @FrankS Moved your post to an existing thread of Comparing VM Software.

13. Aura

Aura Level 20

Jul 29, 2014
    Technical Support Tier 2
    Québec, Canada
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    VirtualBox. It's just way easier for me. The GUI is simple, intuitive and all the options I want are there and easily accessible. I have less then 10 VMs, so I have no need for Workstation. I used ESXi at one point but it wasn't worth it for what I do with my VMs. Though learning VMware is a must if you want to get a job into virtualization and management.

Sr. Normal 2.0, Yash Khan and Paul123 like this.
  14. Raheel99

Raheel99 Level 1

Sep 15, 2016
    Accountant
    Karachi
    Windows 7
    Avast
    I use VirtualBox and works great for me. In past have some issues like booting from bootable usb in virtualbox, disable system time syn with host etc but found solution from their forum and successfully solved these issues.

15. exCode

exCode Level 3

Sep 19, 2016
    Le World xdd maymay
    Windows 7
    Avast
    #15 exCode, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
    I like the interface of VMware better so that's what I use.

16. giulia

giulia Level 4

Nov 30, 2016
    italy
    ESET
    oracle because it's free ,vmware is expensive at least not the player (that's free ) if i'm right

17. Paul123

Paul123 Level 4

Dec 9, 2016
    IT Web Developer
    London
    Windows 10
    Zemana
    #17 Paul123, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    VirtualBox, its free and easy to use. If you use it also get CloneVDI (also free) its great to make backups of your VMs, and compacts them too. It can even increase the virtual disk size too if you run out of virtual disk space.

frogboy, Sr. Normal 2.0 and Yash Khan like this.
  18. VirtualBox is free but I personally prefer VMWare Workstation Pro - I have been using VMWare for a year now but before that I used VirtualBox. VirtualBox for me came up with more errors - I have never had a single problem with VMWare software...

19. koko

koko Level 5
    AV Tester

Sep 28, 2013
    Student
    Belgium
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I used to use VirualBox, but I disliked it's interface. The working was fine, it has everything it needs for you to try and get used to an VM. But once I tryed Vmware Workstation, I was in heaven. Look's lot's more professional, good support, can't say anything bad about it. exept that it is expensive :/

EDIT: I just see it's about the VMware player, I never tryed that one, so I can't give my experience :(

20. Tabeer

Tabeer Level 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Pakistan
    Windows 10
    Avast
    VirtualBox Pros:
    • Much easier to install OSX in the VM. VMWare actively blocks installing OSX in their Windows and Linux desktop products (edit: thanks Clarke).
    • Open-source
    • Active and open development community
    • GPL insures your continued access to the source (or likely access..Oracle has magically "un-FOSS'ed" other FOSS products they acquired from Sun)
    • Backed by large company
    • You get the complete VirtualBox for free.

VirtualBox Cons:
    • Oracle can't issue a commercial license for anything other than the USB drivers
    • Oracle USB drivers are closed-source
    • GPL means you need to be careful about what you add to the source if you redistribute VB
    • The large company that backs VB is Oracle, which isn't terribly FOSS friendly.

VMWare Pros:

• Well established and respected in the enterprise market
    • VMWare can sell commercial licenses
    • Has well-established third-party development and distribution programs.
    • Has an entire line of VM products
    • More polished

VMWare Cons:

• Closed source - you're at the mercy of their engineers for bug fixes and features
    • Costs more than VirtualBox
    • Free versions limited
    • Will restrict your ability to use their product based on third-party requests

I switched a few years ago from VMWare to VirtualBox. I primarily virtualize Linux atop Windows, and Windows XP atop Windows (though now this is built into Windows 8) in a desktop environment, and occasionally OSX atop Linux or Windows. I haven't noticed any difference in stability or performance between the two for interactive development work.