Battle BEST Free VM: Oracle VirtualBox or VMware Workstation Player?

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
As many of the users in MT use Virtual Machines, between the two free options, which one you recommend and why?

What features does each contain that you use?
What OS do use it inside the VM (Virtual Machine)?

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Oracle VirtualBox version 5 because...
It's Free and has regular updates, bugs are fixed quick + OpenSource.
Works amazing on Windows and Linux (my malware research setup / automated malware analysis is on linux) + VirtualBox-Tools give VirtualBox compatibility and usability (faster and better performance then VMPlayer).

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I used them both. First I used Oracle Virtualbox, which was very good, but after I tried VMWare Workstation player, I like VMWare more. The drag and drop between host and VM are better there and overall it runs faster on my pc and is a bit lighter than Virtualbox.
The only thing that is maybe different in terms of being free is that to be able to use VMWare, you need to provide an email adress, but of course that can also be a serpate junk email adress.
I use Windows 7 and Windows 10 VM's (both x86)
For me, VMware wins the battle, but they are both good products.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Tho I do have the Pro version and not Player, I will speak from VMware in general prespective vs Virtual Box.

For Linux Guest OSes, VB is more stable and offer better performance. Also easier to install Guest additions in Linux.

For Windows Guest OSes, VMware takes the lead, as above mentioned, such as better host to guest integration, better graphics support (trivial I know but still a plus)

Now on both free versions, VB offers more quality of life options that you will only find it in VMware pro version. Another thing is its resource usage as well as running services. VB doesn't have any service until you actually run the software, while VMware has it constantly.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
They have little difference when it terms of reliability and strong concept of virtualization. I found Virtualbox as easy to access from features considering its an open source program whereas VMware useful tools can be found on their Workstation if you are willing to invest a good budget.

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Why I want to compare:
Currently I'm using VirtualBox because at the time I was looking for a virtualization program I found VirtualBox at first and it looked clear, easy to use and professionally.
I want to read what you're using and why you do prefer it against the other one.

Which features are you prefering? Which program and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
VirtualBox. It's just way easier for me. The GUI is simple, intuitive and all the options I want are there and easily accessible. I have less then 10 VMs, so I have no need for Workstation. I used ESXi at one point but it wasn't worth it for what I do with my VMs. Though learning VMware is a must if you want to get a job into virtualization and management.

koko

Level 5
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 28, 2013
I used to use VirualBox, but I disliked it's interface. The working was fine, it has everything it needs for you to try and get used to an VM. But once I tryed Vmware Workstation, I was in heaven. Look's lot's more professional, good support, can't say anything bad about it. exept that it is expensive :/

EDIT: I just see it's about the VMware player, I never tryed that one, so I can't give my experience :(

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
VirtualBox Pros:
  • Much easier to install OSX in the VM. VMWare actively blocks installing OSX in their Windows and Linux desktop products (edit: thanks Clarke).
  • Open-source
  • Active and open development community
  • GPL insures your continued access to the source (or likely access..Oracle has magically "un-FOSS'ed" other FOSS products they acquired from Sun)
  • Backed by large company
  • You get the complete VirtualBox for free.

VirtualBox Cons:
  • Oracle can't issue a commercial license for anything other than the USB drivers
  • Oracle USB drivers are closed-source
  • GPL means you need to be careful about what you add to the source if you redistribute VB
  • The large company that backs VB is Oracle, which isn't terribly FOSS friendly.

VMWare Pros:

• Well established and respected in the enterprise market
  • VMWare can sell commercial licenses
  • Has well-established third-party development and distribution programs.
  • Has an entire line of VM products
  • More polished

VMWare Cons:

• Closed source - you're at the mercy of their engineers for bug fixes and features
  • Costs more than VirtualBox
  • Free versions limited
  • Will restrict your ability to use their product based on third-party requests

I switched a few years ago from VMWare to VirtualBox. I primarily virtualize Linux atop Windows, and Windows XP atop Windows (though now this is built into Windows 8) in a desktop environment, and occasionally OSX atop Linux or Windows. I haven't noticed any difference in stability or performance between the two for interactive development work.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.