Advice Request Best method (and program) to backup (image) GPT/UEFI disk

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Best method (and program) to backup (image) GPT/UEFI disk

• Acronis True Image

• Terabyte Image for Windows

• Macrium Reflect

• Drive Snapshot

• Aomei Backupper

• Paragon Hard Disk Manager

• Active@ Disk Image

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syed Arshad

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 21, 2015
Vote for the most reliable,fast and bootable backup program

Note: only the members who have previously used any of the above programs to backup and restore their data are eligible to vote.

If the Backup Program you use is not in the list, Share your suggestions and i will add them to the list.

Reactions: DardiM

Bergo

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
May 13, 2013
I use it AX64 Time Machine (Win 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit)

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
I've tried several and acronis is the best by far. Only thing I don't like about ATI 2016 is it's constantly trying to connect to its cloud services its minimms.exe service constantly has outgoing connections. Had to set rules for acronis since I don't use the cloud side of the software. But definitely True image b/c even if you bork your machine somehow you can use its recovery loader/recovery disc to reimage your machine on boot which comes in handy. In situations where windows won't boot its definitely my goto for all my machines... Expensive for imaging software but worth every penny. I waited for a deal and got 3 keys at once for like 70-80$. I always wait for the deals ;)

Reactions: frogboy and Rishi

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
If i use VeraCrypt and create a system image with e.g Acronis (True Image) software. When i backup the image do my files stay locked, or are they there with no encryption? Or it doesn't backup the hidden units (as veracrypt hides the locked drive)?

Reactions: Rishi
A

above

Macrium and Flashback both on demand for C partition . Use ViceVersa to sync personal files to external and MEGAsync keeps a copy of personal files current off site. For me syncing personal files over the years is by far the least disappointing on files I just can't afford to loose such as family photos and tax documents from year to year. Believe me I've learned from experience.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Vote for the most reliable,fast and bootable backup program

Note: only the members who have previously used any of the above programs to backup and restore their data are eligible to vote.

If the Backup Program you use is not in the list, Share your suggestions and i will add them to the list.
ATI is the best I've come across that has no issues all around aside from the cloud side of the sw you should be able to disable it if you don't want it. But still the best imaging software.

If i use VeraCrypt and create a system image with e.g Acronis (True Image) software. When i backup the image do my files stay locked, or are they there with no encryption? Or it doesn't backup the hidden units (as veracrypt hides the locked drive)?
Ati has encryption built into it and you're using veracrypt ontop of that right? Either way when you backup the image the file will stay encrypted either way I'm not sure I understand the question exactly, but from what I gather your asking if during the backup your files stay encrypted? Why wouldn't they? Unless you decrypt the files they will always remain encrypted...

Last edited:

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
ATI is the best I've come across that has no issues all around aside from the cloud side of the sw you should be able to disable it if you don't want it. But still the best imaging software.

Ati has encryption built into it and you're using veracrypt ontop of that right? Either way when you backup the image the file will stay encrypted either way I'm not sure I understand the question exactly, but from what I gather your asking if during the backup your files stay encrypted? Why wouldn't they? Unless you decrypt the files they will always remain encrypted...

Yeah i kinda suck at encrypting knowledge.. When i create a system backup image with ATI, and then restore the PC with it. Encrypted files with Veracrypt are still encrypted right? I mean, since Veracrypt hides the locked partition it creates with the files, is this partition backed up, or i lose it when i restore?

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Yeah for sure it takes a direct copy of the file so if it was encrypted when you took the backup it will be encrypted upon restore. And you also have to use the right backup scheme I have several. Direct partition backups with single version scheme and an entire computer back with incremental scheme using schedules just to be safe. And you'd only lose files that are in the exclusion list in ATI even if the files are hidden they still exist on the machine and you're taking a direct image of the partition or drive thus the file still exists upon restore. I've never had any issues with ATI restoring encrypted partitions drives and or files or folders.

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I've been using Acronis True Image for years, and always satisfied by this program. Easy to use, Clone / image backup and much more.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy and Skinoku

Skinoku

Level 1
Verified
Dec 11, 2015
I use Acronis True Image also because it provides a nice feature called "universal restore" that allows to restore a Windows OS from a backup without any drivers so that it could be installed on a different computer from the one it was cloned and allowing it after to boot with standard generic drivers and allowing the user to install the appropriate ones.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Macrium reflect is straightforward and reliable.

the recovery media has the best boot-fixing tool I have ever seen. When you can't boot, you gotta have a solution that works, or you are in hot water.

the paid version does very fast restores.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Dos programas antivirus informan de que Macrium Reflect Free tiene un virus:

• AegisLab Troj.W32.Buzus
  • Zillya Trojan.Qhost.Win32.16257
Usted ha sido advertido, yo no lo usaría https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...24f8cdc8ca655215e619de37d5b4b721601/analysis/

SHA256: 34dab471c9c45416a19004925749324f8cdc8ca655215e619de37d5b4b721601 Nombre del archivo: ReflectDL.exe
there is always some little AV company that thinks there is a virus when there isn't. It's called a FP = false positive.
Macrium Reflect is totally clean, don't worry.

Reactions: harlan4096

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
Macrium reflect is straightforward and reliable.

the recovery media has the best boot-fixing tool I have ever seen. When you can't boot, you gotta have a solution that works, or you are in hot water.

the paid version does very fast restores.

I recently started using Macrium's Free version, so far I like it a lot. I am considering buying the Home version and wanted to ask if you have used the Free version and the Home version? If so I was wondering if there is a difference between backup & restore speeds when comparing the Free with the Paid Home version?

Don't get me wrong, the free version I am using's speed is pretty good, I was just curious about that. More than likely I'm going to buy the Home version, there are a lot of extra's with the paid version for me I could see coming in handy, not to mention I am interested in seeing how their Rapid Delta Restore works.

Reactions: DardiM and frogboy

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I recently started using Macrium's Free version, so far I like it a lot. I am considering buying the Home version and wanted to ask if you have used the Free version and the Home version? If so I was wondering if there is a difference between backup & restore speeds when comparing the Free with the Paid Home version?

Don't get me wrong, the free version I am using's speed is pretty good, I was just curious about that. More than likely I'm going to buy the Home version, there are a lot of extra's with the paid version for me I could see coming in handy, not to mention I am interested in seeing how their Rapid Delta Restore works.
restore speed is MUCH faster with paid edition.
also the backups will be MUCH faster, (and smaller, too) because you can run incrementals, rather than differentials.

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
restore speed is MUCH faster with paid edition.
also the backups will be MUCH faster, (and smaller, too) because you can run incrementals, rather than differentials.

Thank you, I will be buying the Home version soon. I was using AOMEI Backupper, but the latest version of that software has a problem with Windows Anniversary edition that I am running, they say they are working on the problem in their forums but it's been a few weeks, that's why I decided to try Macrium and I am glad I did, I like it a lot better than AOMEI Backupper. I've tried several backup software's over the last week or two and Macrium seems to be the best for me. Thanks again.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I use both Macrium Reflect Free and Aomei Backupper Pro and keep multiple images with both. Never had a problem with either software both work great. ;)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thank you, I will be buying the Home version soon. I was using AOMEI Backupper, but the latest version of that software has a problem with Windows Anniversary edition that I am running, they say they are working on the problem in their forums but it's been a few weeks, that's why I decided to try Macrium and I am glad I did, I like it a lot better than AOMEI Backupper. I've tried several backup software's over the last week or two and Macrium seems to be the best for me. Thanks again.
I do think macrium is the most solid and reliable solution for the home user.
there are some other solutions out there, like acronis, that might actually be better -- if you are an expert user and need those advanced options. I don't.

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
I use both Macrium Reflect Free and Aomei Backupper Pro and keep multiple images with both. Never had a problem with either software both work great. ;)

I never had a problem with AOMEI until updating to the Windows 10 Anniversary version, Now it just will not work and when I say that I mean trying to install it since the drivers aren't signed even turning off the security feature and installing them it wrecks my whole system.

I am really impressed with Macrium, I like their approach and pricing. It is freaking crazy how some of these backup companies price things, I have seen some for home users and 1 PC at 250 USA dollars, just ridiculous.

Sure I could use the Windows 10 Image backup software and all that, I know how to do that but that is really really slow and limited only to restoring the image.

I tried O&O and had a problem using this Windows 10 Anniversary latest version with the certificate driver things, along with others.

Really looking forward to buying and giving this Macrium a try, the Free is really good, I especially like the PRE-OS option, that is nice.

I guess it's whatever works for you, but then again in my case since my OS updated what worked before did not work for me, so giving Macrium a try was a breath of fresh air so to speak. I must say I have nothing to do with any companies anywhere on the internet OR MACRIUM, I know I am giving them high praise, but I am saying that from a home user only stand point.

Reactions: DardiM and frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.