Best program for listing files and folders within a folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I've come across software like this but I didn't pay much attention because I didn't think I needed it. Now I have a use for it.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I'll just get this out the way before someone else decided to be smart and suggest:

Start > Run > CMD ~ Then type the following, one line at a time, each followed by <enter>
Code:
cd C:\Users\Admin\Documents
tree

Ok, so I'm assuming that you're looking for a replacement for Windows Explorer?

On that assumption, I'd recommend something like Explorer++

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I still use Explorer because other souped up versions don't have undo :). I also use A43

tree

you can make this a batch file and add to your context menu

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I'll just get this out the way before someone else decided to be smart and suggest:

Start > Run > CMD ~ Then type the following, one line at a time, each followed by <enter>
Code:
tree

I tried that as you set forth, and it didn't work for me. See screenshots.

Ok, so I'm assuming that you're looking for a replacement for Windows Explorer?

On that assumption, I'd recommend something like Explorer++

Actually I'm sticking with Windows Explorer. There are programs for the limited purpose of giving you those lists.

Attachments

• CMD.png
    CMD.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 573
  • CMD failure.png
    CMD failure.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 535

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
did you type the command TREE?

2u9l638.jpg

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I tried that as you set forth, and it didn't work for me. See screenshots

Sorry should have made it clear... The first command beginning with CD should be followed by the path to the folder you want to list the files in.

For example to list the files in your documents folder you would type:

"CD C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents" followed by enter and then "tree" ;)

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
did you type the command TREE?

My fault, I'd given a Windows 7 path as an example without an explanation of how to use it, so the change directory command wouldn't work because 1. he's on Windows XP where the path to Documents is different and 2. His username is Owner not Admin as I specified ;)

So unfortunately my fault and very sorry for the confusion @conceptualclarity !

Reactions: conceptualclarity

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
there is another program i used before that generates list of sub-folders and files in HTML format with link. forgot the name. will try to find it in my archives

don't forget to enclose the path in quotation marks in case it has spaces

CD "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop"

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
You can also pipe the output to a log file ;)

So after doing the CD command as above, instead of typing "tree" you could type:

Code:
tree > C:\log.txt

and it would save the list of files to C:\log.txt ;)

Don't forget the dir command as well, which doesn't list the files in subfolders, only lists stuff in the current directory.

eg:
Code:
dir > C:\log.txt

There are some more advanced options you can use for filtering and such, but see if you can get those working first and then let us know what's working for you and what isn't (eg: do you need to only show certain files, for example .jpg files) etc. Then we can help further :)

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Directory Lister

want to know more about DIR arguments

type DIR /?, works with other CMD commands too

----

Changing directory is easy, don't have to type everything. Just type the first letter of the folder and press TAB. if the target folder is deeper, backspace to the quotation mark and replace it with \ type a letter and press TAB again

Reactions: Cowpipe

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I forget to mention but some Compression and Extraction Tools like HaoZip, Bandizip, B1 Free Archiver and PeaZip offer a full featured File Manager.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: conceptualclarity
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.