Advice Request Best programs for recording registry, folder, file changes made by a new installation?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
cc...you ever tried ZSoft Uninstaller? I don't use it as an uninstaller, but it can be used to record installations. It's not a problem, but it records everything that happens during an installation system-wide, so there will probably be some things there that aren't part of the installation, but it's usually not too hard to pick them out when they are there.

ZSoft is in PortableApps under utilities...

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
cc...you ever tried ZSoft Uninstaller? I don't use it as an uninstaller, but it can be used to record installations. It's not a problem, but it records everything that happens during an installation system-wide, so there will probably be some things there that aren't part of the installation, but it's usually not too hard to pick them out when they are there.

ZSoft is in PortableApps under utilities...

ZSoft 2.5 looked perhaps "interesting" then saw the latest version was Nov 2010. That made me think, do I really need this tool? ... and I took a pass. But if it does what you need...

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Total Uninstall will do that. When you install software, it takes before and after snapshots, so it can see exactly what files and registry keys were created or changed. I tested a number of uninstallers which create snapshots, or do monitoring of installs, a while ago and I found Total Uninstaller to be far superior to anything else - including Revo. The only downsides are that there is no free version and when installing software, you need to right click on the installer and select Monitor with Total Uninstall (otherwise depending on the filename of the installer, it may not be monitored). However, you can get it heavily discounted, if you buy it from BitsDuJour.

I use it to monitor every single program I install and it hasn't given me any problems.

I've used ZSoft Uninstaller before and it does not work very well.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014

I attempted to install and uninstall NVT ERP 4 a few hours ago with ZSoft, and it works as an uninstaller to a degree, but I had to rerun the uninstall about 6 or 7 times and even then a couple of registry keys were left over. So then I went into Comodo Programs Manager and it showed several files and 29 I believe registry entries remaining. So this does bring into question the recording capability of ZSoft.

Nonetheless it's an easy first look at changes to the registry during an installation, and it is free. Using CPM, I don't think I would need more than ZSoft if all I want is a look at what was changed or a way to get a ballpark on what to expect from CPM when it removes registry entries...

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Does comodo program mangager support Windows 10 as i see in their website the support is untill windows 8
so is it still developed or being obsolete @AtlBo

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Does comodo program mangager support Windows 10 as i see in their website the support is untill windows 8
so is it still developed or being obsolete
The last version released, 2.0.0.3 Beta 1, was published in 2011.
It doesn't officially support Windows 10, but can be made to run. I've posted instructions on how to do this before. However, I no longer recommend using it under Windows 10, as from time to time it stops working and will no longer monitor program installs.

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
It's old software but quite capable...
InstallWatch Pro
installwatch2.png

The program is quite detailed in what it can track and includes additions, deletions, or modifications to files and directories, INI files and the system registry in different points of time.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I'm using from years for such purposes System Explorer an its option to create an than to compare system "snapshots". By this way we can find added/changed/deleted files/folders/registry changes.
It can be used not only wile installation process but with connection to needed moment/state in our system.

mojaveron

Level 1
Verified
Nov 27, 2013

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Just found and installed this thanks to @josinpaul:

This is really interesting software. It's mostly a cleaner but there are system tweaks and also the ability to compare before and after registry states. Also, it's possible to navigate through the registry from within the application. Very nice and I recommend a look...

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Just found and installed this thanks to @josinpaul:

This is really interesting software. It's mostly a cleaner but there are system tweaks and also the ability to compare before and after registry states. Also, it's possible to navigate through the registry from within the application. Very nice and I recommend a look...

see page is russian, translated it, but eg, the app screenshot shows in russian. does app run english version? ie beware the button that melts the registry...

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
Total Uninstall will do that. When you install software, it takes before and after snapshots, so it can see exactly what files and registry keys were created or changed. I tested a number of uninstallers which create snapshots, or do monitoring of installs, a while ago and I found Total Uninstaller to be far superior to anything else - including Revo. The only downsides are that there is no free version and when installing software, you need to right click on the installer and select Monitor with Total Uninstall (otherwise depending on the filename of the installer, it may not be monitored). However, you can get it heavily discounted, if you buy it from BitsDuJour.

I use it to monitor every single program I install and it hasn't given me any problems.

After some simple tests on almost all the uninstallers I would agree with Roger (again)...TU is probably the best. IF I were to make a request it would be in the GUI, and the price for a lifetime license is very inexpensive.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@simmerskool It installs in English. However, I advise against using its registry cleaner, as it has issues with false positives.

yes thanks, I SD_installed Reg Organizer 8.29 along with free license key and agree with AtlBo "worth a look" also agree with roger_m beware its registry cleaner. Interesting in some of its features. It opens with a quick scan and reports "scary" stuff in red. Did not like autorun. It found 1 gb of useless or unnecessary NVIDIA files, which gee seems like a lot of a lot data if not needed, that no other scanner ever found? I let it clean it in shadow mode but I need to look that one up to see what it wants to clean and why NVIDIA is holding it. Also the download site provided with the free license is different than the main site. apparently there's a newer version 8.30. Unclear why 8.29 is free or has free license?
chemtable.com
overall I'd say good find, thanks for sharing but use caution with registry.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It found 1 gb of useless or unnecessary NVIDIA files, which gee seems like a lot of a lot data if not needed, that no other scanner ever found? I let it clean it in shadow mode but I need to look that one up to see what it wants to clean and why NVIDIA is holding it.
They will be safe to delete.
If you’re a gamer (or just a PC user) with NVIDIA graphics, NVIDIA’s drivers are probably wasting gigabytes of storage on your hard drive. NVIDIA leaves old installer files buried on your hard drive until you get annoyed and manually delete them…if you even realize you need to.

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
They will be safe to delete.

I believe this is remedied by choosing "clean install"... As I have none of the files on my pc that you show on yours.

I just noticed that there is a new version of iobit uninstaller V9 that monitors the installation of new software. I can't say anything about it as I have not used it. But check it out, it might rival TU or even Mirekusoft

Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just noticed that there is a new version of iobit uninstaller V9 that monitors the installation of new software. I can't say anything about it as I have not used it. But check it out, it might rival TU or even Mirekusoft
It's not very good at this stage. For example, it can't monitor the installation of .msi files and also, sometimes don't track every change made. At the moment, nothing is anywhere near as good as Total Uninstall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.