Advice Request Best route for FDe for Small Business

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DefactoTechGuy

Thread author
Jan 11, 2018
Hello all,

I am in need of some advice and possible recommendations in regards to Full Data Encryption for a Small Business in our particular situation. My boss isn't overly tech savvy and does not currently have Data Encryption setup for any devices (IE Desktops, Laptops) in our office. In our profession that is a big no-no ever since Malware, Ransomware, and Hacking has come into foreground of the public's eye. As the youngest guy in a four person office I have been tasked with choosing a way to Fully Encrypt every computer/laptop in our office (total of 5). Current setup on all Devices is as follows:

Windows 10 Home Edition, No Shared Network between Devices (we use DropBox/Agencybloc) McAfee Antivirus.

Sadly Windows 10 Home does not include BitLocker, which would be an easy fix for our problem. So basically I am looking at either an Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro or the installation and use of a Third Party App in order to encrypt our files. The cost, at least from what I have reviewed so far, is fairly similar (unless Open Source is the better route). So this really comes down to the best "fit" given our business size, devices in use, and how the Encryption App is managed. I will be likely handling any problems that would arise with any would be product. I would not consider myself a Tech Expert by any means, but I'd say 95% of any issues I have ever encountered on a computer I've been able to Research, Problem solve, and Fix. Thus I need some form of fallback if I encounter an issue that falls within that 5%, which is why I am nervous about using an OpenSource product. The Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro looks appealing as BitLocker would be an easy way to Encrypt our Files, have techinical fallback support, and is relatively hands off in terms of management, but I worry about changing everyones OS. Is the layout and Usability of Pro similar to Home Edition? Cannot have 2 or 3 of us needing a crash course in using the OS and running the risk of them just not "getting it".

McAfee looks interesting for us, and we already have their AV on our systems. Symantec has gotten good reviews as well for their End Point Encryption. If you guys think third Party App is the way to go what would be the recommendation that would include some form of Support without the need for full time hands on management of the system. The occasional troubleshooting of a problem is totally fine, especially with Support as a backup. If you think Open Source is really the route to go and that technical problems that arise can be solved through some Intense Googling and Problem Solving then you can certainly make that recommendation. I am really just at a loss since I am on a 48 hour deadline to get this done, and I could tell sifting through products through my own research, while doable, may not fit that timeframe. Sorry for the diatribe, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TheJokerz

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2016
First and foremost it would help to know what kind of pc's you currently have (prebuilts like dell or custom builds). Secondly if you have custom build pc's they may not have the TPM to even use bitlocker. If you were using free open source to encrypt I would highly recommend Veracrypt VeraCrypt - Home, and use whole disk encryption.

I have only ever used bitlocker and veracrypt. I cannot speak on behalf of those other endpoint encrypt programs.

DefactoTechGuy

Thread author
Jan 11, 2018
My mistake, builds are as follows
Both Desktops:
HP Pavilion Desktop 510—P136
2 of the Laptops: HP Pavilion 17 Notebook E040US
Last Laptop : HP Pavilion 15 - p263nr
All on Windows 10 Home Edition Version 1709
Tried to just edit post but kept getting flagged for spam?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.