Battle Best Security for Mac: Avast, ESET, Kaspersky or Others?

superleeds27

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
HI everyone,

I've recently started using Avast IS on my laptop. I'm quite impressed with their UI and detection rates/system performance seems good too.

Anyway. I have an Imac and was wondering what the best Security software to use is?

I've had KIS installed for a while and had issues with it loading some websites. Slow loading etc.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Reactions: ttto

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For your iMac, are you only looking for:
  • ESET CyberSecurity
  • Kaspersky Internet Security
  • Avast Free for Mac
Or would you consider other Free/Paid options?

On separate occasions I have used Avast, Avira and Sophos individually on macOS Sierra. All are Free to download and use, light on resources and doesn't slow down web browsing or transferring files.
  1. Avast - Avast Free Mac Security | Antivirus Software for Apple OS X
  2. Avira - Avira Free Antivirus Mac - The best antivirus for Apple OSX
  3. Sophos - Free Mac Antivirus and Web Security | Sophos Home for Mac Download
If you pick on using Avast Free for Mac, review these (see screenshot). They are not required for Virus and Malware Protection, but are offered for Free as Additional (not necessary) Security.

AvastMac.png

There are some technological differences between Avast for Windows vs Mac, so not all features in Avast Internet Security are present for Avast Mac Security.

Be aware, there is no single best security for macOS (OS X). Choose security that works for you!

A layered approach is always better. What I mean by this..
  • Always keep your OS and Software up-to-date (ie. latest versions and security updates)
  • Use a modern browser with it's security features (ie. keep malware and phishing protection turned on)
  • Add trusted extensions / add-on's for your browser to enhance online privacy and security (ie. ad-blocker, website advisor, anti-tracking).
  • Run security software, but don't overload with multiple instances (ie. pick one Antivirus to run in real-time).
  • You can use an on-demand (second opinion) scanner, but avoid using in real-time, as you already have an Antivirus.

Mod Edit: Updated Thread Title.

Last edited:

superleeds27

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
I would consider other options. Thanks for your recommendations. I find it strange how far behind MAC software seems. Most of the suites are still on 2016, almost like they're one hear behind.

I'll have a look at Sophos. Currently have a trial of Eset Cyber Security Pro.

I keep browsers up to date, Mac is fully up to date as is all software installed on it too.

Mr Humphries

Apr 10, 2017
ESET's my favourite. It's the most configurable. You can just configure it once and save the settings. Performance and detection are top notch. Bitdefender is my second choice, though the macOS versions aren't as comprehensive as the Windows ones (true for every macOS security package). Whenever I've tried Kaspersky, there's been some unacceptable bug, like you mentioned with web access freezing. The feature set is impressive, as is its reputation. Never used Avast or Avira. Sophos is as slow as a dog for me. The only reason I tried it was because HitmanPro.Alert/Intercept X features are slowly being integrated into it. Not worth touching.

There need to be signatureless behaviour blockers for macOS like HitmanPro.Alert. XFENCE is on the way.

Reactions: bob974

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
As I have Norton Security Premium, I use it in my macbook pro mid 2012 with sandisk ultra II SSD. I tried Kaspersky, ESET, BD, and avira, and only Norton and ESET result for me worth it. Both are very customizable, effective and very light.

superleeds27

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
As I have Norton Security Premium, I use it in my macbook pro mid 2012 with sandisk ultra II SSD. I tried Kaspersky, ESET, BD, and avira, and only Norton and ESET result for me worth it. Both are very customizable, effective and very light.

I've struggled to find the installer for Norton on Mac?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.