Advice Request Best way to keep Java updated to the latest version?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Also is there anyway to have it automatically update whenever there is a new version under a limited user account in Windows 10 ?

I use Java, yuck, on a secondary PC because it needs it for a certain program :(

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
What is Java Update and how do I change the update schedule?
jcp-notifyme.jpg

Thanks but that doesn't auto install it :(

Is there even an upgrade available for update ? Sometimes it can take days for an update to happen. After that time frame, if the update doesn't happen, then there is some kine of problem, obviously. It can be anything from firewall rules to a problem with the updater itself and everything in-between. Report it to Oracle support.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks but that doesn't auto install it :(
I think you may have to manually install after you receive an update notification.
Install the New Update When a new Java update is available, a tooltip balloon appears on your Windows desktop. To install the new update, click on the notification dialog.

Also found this:
There are a number of contributing factors like size and packaging type and the admin requirement, but the most important is that over the year hundreds of thousands of java programs have been written targeting specific java versions, and the maintenance scheme they've chosen introduces incompatibilities with every major release (via object/method deprecation and blacklisting). Many apps work fine on multiple major versions, but many do not. the change between 1.4 and 1.5 was particularly troublesome, and many development folks are hesitant about 8+.
As a result, in order to run your favorite programs, you need the ability to keep older run times installed, and control how/when they update.
Why can't Java update automatically?

Cheers.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
is there anyway to have it automatically update whenever there is a new version under a limited user account in Windows 10 ?
There several softwares that should work but one that I personal use is Thor Foresight Home but that contains a bit more then just automatic software updates. In your case Thor Free should be more then enough and if you don't like it, uninstall.

Thor Free - Automatic Software Updater & Manager

If he isn't modifying the Java settings in the Admin account... plus, the updater might not run correctly in a SUA\LUA account.

Anyway, here is the whole official Oracle Java update guide (which @venustus previously posted). If the solution is not found in that guide, then take it to Oracle support:

What is Java Update and how do I change the update schedule?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.