App Review Best way to Uninstall Antivirus from Windows

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
he forgot to mention some things : best to check with autoruns also , the reason why is that there maybe some leftover drivers running after the removal process ( zemana , comodo and many others have this problem ) also I like to check the registry mannualy via the regedit command promt. sometimes obsolete keys are still present after the removal process.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
  1. Uninstall via Control Panel > Programs and Features
  2. Reboot
  3. Run official Uninstall tool provided by vendors' Support pages, may require Safe mode
  4. Reboot
  5. Run CCleaner/Registry cleaner
  6. Run Search Everything for leftover Files/Folders, by searching for specific related terms
  7. Take Caution on when modifying the Windows Registry (regedit)
For smart users, restore system image prior to Antivirus installation.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I usually uninstall stuff the usual way and then do the file/folder and registry search by hand.

For example, if I uninstall avast!, I then search for "avast" on C: drive and delete everything it finds and can be deleted. Then I use Auslogics Registry Cleaner and use the manual mode. Search for "avast" again and delete it all. Basically same goes for other companies. Only ones that don't wok like this are names like "AVG" because the name is too short and gets included in bunch of files and registry entries because it's just too short so I don't do that for these. The rest like Kaspersky, Comodo, Bitdefender, Norton, AVIRA etc works perfectly fine.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Paranoid steps:D

1) Save a current image of the OS just with WD and your complete applications and data (by using Macrium for example).

2) Install antivirus you want to use.

3) At the expiration of the license, or when you want to change antivirus, you can restore the previous clean image.

4) Install a new antivirus and so on.

Absolutely no antivirus leftovers and on my system the restore of an image requires just 10 minutes.;)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Paranoid steps:D

1) Save a current image of the OS just with WD and your complete applications and data (by using Macrium for example).

2) Install antivirus you want to use.

3) At the expiration of the license, or when you want to change antivirus, you can restore the previous clean image.

4) Install a new antivirus and so on.

Absolutely no antivirus leftovers and on my system the restore of an image requires just 10 minutes.;)
Hi

Does Macrium (free) creates a bootable USB stick for backing up? What size of USB stick would you recommend for a Windows 10 OS backup?

Thanks

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Hi

Does Macrium (free) creates a bootable USB stick for backing up? What size of USB stick would you recommend for a Windows 10 OS backup?

Thanks
Here to create a bootable USB to restore your system but you can save your backups on second partition or external HDD because Win10 image is about 20 GB in my case.

How to create USB rescue media

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
You can try Geek Uninstaller and use Force Removal mode. Get's rid of basically everything that is installed.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
if we use kaspersky removal tool, we're screwed :D
since I and many users got this problem that broke system restore/system protection completely, I have been against those removal tools

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Honestly there are so many steps and none of them are wrong.

You need a couple of tools to ensure that no leftovers exist in a system.

Yes creating a stable snapshot image to revert any changes is a wise move, a loophole that will never ever fix. ;)

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.