Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Google is an extremely politicized corporation, and I want to have as little as possible to do with them. (What a shame they've got YouTube.) I want to get off GMail. (Actually I only use it as a secondary email. I prefer a freestanding application for my primary email.)

So what's a good replacement from a company that respects privacy much more than Google? For now I need one that's XP-compatible, which rules out the Pale Moon email..

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
And one thing I can not pass up on ProtonMail, the cybersecurity engineer and hacker, Elliot, used him in the Mr. Robot series :p
RBLL7BY.png

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Protonmail worries me, mostly because Radware handles their Anti-DDOS. Radware of course is an Israeli Intelligence Staffed firm, and has been implicated in distribution of malware-like programs through Radyoos division. Tutanota is OK, but there is a way to access your account if you lose the master password which makes me uncomfortable. Also they've reduced their key strength down to AES128.

I prefer;

High Security- Startmail, msgsafe.io
Medium Security- Zoho Mail
Lower Security- Fastmail

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Protonmail for sure :)
Yahoo and Gmail and Microsoft HQ are in USA and USA is one of the worst country for privacy. also any one worried about Yandex (about Russian spy) but it seems they are in Netherland(?)
btw if we think all countries spying on their users (may be) Swiss is on of the best country with good privacy law, and just Protonmail stay on stage....also they accepted Bitcoin and....:cool:

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
outlook is also good because of its two factor authentication
That's for your own personal Account security and is widely-available to online accounts (ie. banking, social media, shopping etc). It doesn't make Outlook more private when discussing privacy. Refer to Microsoft's Privacy Policy for more details.

There's always measures to beef-up Gmail and other providers, but I have no experience with these Free/Paid tools.
Example: FlowCrypt: PGP Encryption for Gmail (formerly CryptUp)

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
The good thing about Gmail is the excellent spam filter and the fact that it is likely to be around for years to come.

Although I am also concerned about privacy, Gmail is certainly a good service. Probably the best on the market.

I have heard about a trick where a person could use an alternative email provider but somehow route emails through Gmail servers to take advantage of their Spam filters. I am not sure of the details of this, but maybe it is a way of using Google services without compromising privacy ??

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Posteo or Protonmail.
I used protonmail but unfortunately you can't delete aliases. You have the option to disable them only. Another problem protonmail is not compatible with thunderbird.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The good thing about Gmail is the excellent spam filter and the fact that it is likely to be around for years to come.

Although I am also concerned about privacy, Gmail is certainly a good service. Probably the best on the market.

I have heard about a trick where a person could use an alternative email provider but somehow route emails through Gmail servers to take advantage of their Spam filters. I am not sure of the details of this, but maybe it is a way of using Google services without compromising privacy ??

Gmail is very good for a lot of reasons but also very un-private. Agreed - their spam filter is one of the best. The 'trick' for alternate email is to route your other email through POP/IMAP under the Send/Recieve As feature.

One reason I like Fastmail for my 'general' email is their incredibly advanced spam/virus filtration. It's on par with Gmail in most cases and offers the privacy of a paid service. If you have Fastmail on a legacy account plan you should NEVER let that plan expire, it's only $9.99 a year! I plan to never let my general, non-secured Fastmail account expire from the legacy plans as the current plans are expensive in comparison.

Posteo is good, I used it for awhile. My only complaint was their spam protection is too good sometimes and doesn't offer granular control. They simply reject high-probability spam outright without any notification to you. Not a problem for most people, I am just anal at seeing ALL of my spam! Fastmail has been caught doing this as well, which is why I rely on Fastmail for my general box and not important things.

Fastmail and Posteo are my two favorites for 'general' stuff.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.