Best Windows version for an old PC (2GB RAM)?

voyes

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Dec 26, 2018
Which Windows Version will be the best to combine with G Data IS?

Specs:
1TB HDD
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Black Edition
2GB DDR2

Reactions: roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
None of the operating systems you listed will run well with only 2GB of RAM. As an example, Windows 7 can sometimes use at least that much RAM when running Windows Update. If your motherboard supports it, I highly recommend upgrading to at at least 4GB, as your computer will run a lot better.

Your processor should be fast eough to run Windows 10 well, if you add more RAM.

voyes

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Dec 26, 2018
None of the operating systems you listed will run well with only 2GB of RAM. As an example, Windows 7 can sometimes use at least that much RAM when running Windows Update. If your motherboard supports it, I highly recommend upgrading to at at least 4GB, as your computer will run a lot better.

Your processor should be fast eough to run Windows 10 well, if you add more RAM.
Yes. I'm thinking about adding 2Gigs more

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I think I'm meeting halfway and using Win 8.1
Either Windows 8.1 of Windows should work fine. On some low-end systems Windows 10 runs slowly, whereas Windows 8.1 is fast. But your system should be fast enough to run Windows 10. Do you have a license for any version of Windows, or you going to have to buy one?

voyes

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Dec 26, 2018
Either Windows 8.1 of Windows should work fine. On some low-end systems Windows 10 runs slowly, whereas Windows 8.1 is fast. But your system should be fast enough to run Windows 10. Do you have a license for any version of Windows, or you going to have to buy one?
I've no licence for 8.1. I'm testing it out first. Windows 10 runs slowly on the PC (I tested in the past)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 7 SP1 runs out soon. Windows Vista, 8 and 8.1 are unsupported Operating Systems. Do not use any Windows, except for Windows 10.

Don't forget your PC (CPU/RAM DDR2/Storage) are all slow / ancient, so the intention to run Windows 10 with 10GB of RAM is wasted money.

Best advice: Get a new PC, Laptop or cheaper Chromebook.

L

Local Host

From all the systems listed, Windows 10 is a no brainer.

Is faster and more stable than all the previous versions, not to mention the support.

Haven't seen a Windows 7 system in years now, all the companies and costumers use W10 here (even on old hardware, and it runs just fine).

Even some old dell machines that we were repackaging two years ago managed to run W10 perfectly fine (they came originally with Windows XP back in 2006).

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I've no licence for 8.1. I'm testing it out first. Windows 10 runs slowly on the PC (I tested in the past)
If it's been some time since you've used Windows 10, you may want to try it again. It may run fine now that you've got more RAM and with one of the updates to Windows 10 (I think it may have been Creators Update), there was a noticable increase in performance compared to previous builds.

However if Windows 10 still runs slowly, then Windows 8.1 would be a good choice and it will still receive updates until 2023, which is three years longer than Windows 7 will. It's been my experience on multiple computers that on some low-end computers it runs a lot faster than Windows 10. To those who have been saying Windows 10 is the best option, it's not, if it runs slowly. I've got a couple of laptops from 2006 that Windows 10 runs really well on, but I have some other more recent laptops that it runs slowly on. On those laptops, Windows 8.1 runs just as fast as XP, Vista and Windows 7.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.