Beware of These Personalized ChatGPT Email Scams

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
ChatGPT is not unlike a smart child—intelligent, yes, but also easily manipulated. A kid might understand the difference between “good” and “bad,” but an ill-intended adult can often convince a child to do something “bad” if they choose the right words and use the right approach. And this was the case with ChatGPT when researchers used it to write an email “that has a high likelihood of getting the recipient to click on a link.” Although the AI program is designed to detect ill-intended requests (it says it won’t write a prompt designed to manipulate or deceive recipients), the researchers found an easy work-around by avoiding certain trigger words.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
This will end up like the current culture wars. Bad according to who? Whose values does A.I. represent? It's a big problem in current modern day society. Bias is everywhere in society depending on your values and political persuasion. Left or right it doesn't matter. Put your faith in a learned language model and you have considered whether it represents the values you hold and if the information is totally unbiased and based on facts and evidence.

Reactions: simmerskool
Nov 1, 2022
I think the mere fact that AI tools can use psychological tricks to tilt the narrative towards a given agenda is very, very scary. It won't work in all of the cases, of course, but I'm sure that a good number of the potential recipients of such emails won't assume foul play at all. I suppose once AI detectors like Originality finally get up to speed, it will be possible to integrate them with Outlook, Gmail etc. so that every incoming AI-crafted email gets flagged by default...

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.