Big Shout Out to F-Secure... Very Fast This Time Around.

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
So about a year ago (I'm guessing here) I tried F-secure. It slowed my web and PC. I was NOT happy.

But I decided to try it again this week, and man, its very fast now. I had to remove Zemana, but no biggie, it's saved in my Macrium Image.

I had to deal with customer service, concerning my email / account on their webpage, but he made that simple and I was very pleased.

So this is just a heads up, for those who might want to try F-Secure "Safe"...Nothing is slow now.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I'm going to give F-Secure a try for fun, a few months ago it had issues with Shadow Defender which I feel is the most useful thing since someone made a wheel, it didn't like Alert either, so I'll see - I do understand about genuine conflicts but it did remind me of my other half - A control freak :):)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I'm going to give F-Secure a try for fun, a few months ago it had issues with Shadow Defender which I feel is the most useful thing since someone made a wheel, it didn't like Alert either, so I'll see - I do understand about genuine conflicts but it did remind me of my other half - A control freak :):)
Install F-Secure first and then install SD. :)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Install F-Secure first and then install SD. :)
Yes I agree, & there are workarounds but if there are no justifiable conflicts between F-secure & several programs & F-secure will not install without removal what is F-Secure's big problem? Uninstalling some licensed programs then re-inserting license keys can cause problems as they can assume it's being used on another PC if they don't use machine ID system - There is often no good reason for their borderline paranoid behavior & nothing has changed.

Just my opinion, weirdly on their forum they see no issues & continue to give help even though users have used a workaround & using seemingly conflicting programs, makes no sense, but it's their program & they can do as they wish :cool::cool::cool::cool:

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
Yes I agree, & there are workarounds but if there are no justifiable conflicts between F-secure & several programs & F-secure will not install without removal what is F-Secure's big problem? Uninstalling some licensed programs then re-inserting license keys can cause problems as they can assume it's being used on another PC if they don't use machine ID system - There is often no good reason for their borderline paranoid behavior & nothing has changed.

Just my opinion, weirdly on their forum they see no issues & continue to give help even though users have used a workaround & using seemingly conflicting programs, makes no sense, but it's their program & they can do as they wish :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I think F-secure is just saying "Look we trust us, we don't need customer support issues, because of weird security software combinations"

L

Local Host

F-Secure Anti-Virus uses around 500~600MB of RAM on standby (in comparison Kaspersky uses around 50~100MB on same machine), considering it's an extremely basic suite (in comparison to the competition) it is a ridiculous value.

Been testing it recently, since they finally dropped CrapDefender (BitDefender), the performance impact on the system is mininal nowadays. But F-Secure protection is average, and their disinfection weak.

I wouldn't recommend for average joes nor computers with 4GB or less.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I excluded my development folder in F-Secure and DeepGuard is still slowing my compilation times, I'm currently using WD in 2004 and it uses way more RAM but feels lighter for me.
Slowdowns when DeepGuard is attached and analyzing an untrusted process seems to be the only form of slowdowns I notice with F-Secure. Being an application developer is kind of unique and I don't blame F-Secure for scrutinizing this -- I've seen a few pieces of malware use MSBuild to try to produce payloads on-device before.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Slowdowns when DeepGuard is attached and analyzing an untrusted process seems to be the only form of slowdowns I notice with F-Secure. Being an application developer is kind of unique and I don't blame F-Secure for scrutinizing this -- I've seen a few pieces of malware use MSBuild to try to produce payloads on-device before.
Yeah but adding an exclusion should also prevent DeepGuard from scanning those folders

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.