Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Billions of Android, iOS, Windows and Linux devices that use Bluetooth may be exposed to a new attack that can be carried out remotely without any user interaction, researchers warned.

Armis Labs, a company that specializes in protecting Internet of Things (IoT) devices, has discovered a total of eight Bluetooth implementation vulnerabilities that expose mobile, desktop and IoT systems to an attack it has dubbed “BlueBorne.”

According to the security firm, the attack only requires Bluetooth to be enabled on the targeted device – no pairing is needed between the victim and the attacker’s device, and the Bluetooth connection does not even have to be discoverable.

A hacker who is in range of the targeted device can exploit one of the several Bluetooth implementation vulnerabilities that can lead to remote code execution, information disclosure or man-in-the-middle (MitM) attacks. The attacker only needs to determine what type of operating system the target is using in order to deploy an exploit specific to that platform.

Full Article: Billions of Devices Potentially Exposed to New Bluetooth Attack | SecurityWeek.Com

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
Thanks for that cobber. I was going to put a BT card in my W7 box to connect some headphones, but I'll give that a miss for the time being. Fortunately this attack seems incapable of affecting my Sony-Ericsson dumb flip-phone :cool: and my SuperTooth portable hands-free :love:. (I'm sure that one or both have actually been attacked in the past a couple of times, but let's face it, I'm moving and they're not :D, or I'm too far from the car at the time.)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Discoverable? Do you mean ON. If I have the Bluetooth OFF on my phone or computer then they cannot gain access right.

Correct! (y) Apparently a hard thing to do in iOS11.

IY8NUmBx_o.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.