Bios Based virus discovered by Chinese Security Firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenTester

Thread author
Jul 30, 2011
A Chinese Antivirus Firm 360 discovered a new Trojan BMW Virus that infects BIOS(motherboard chip program) and MBR(Master Boot drive) Formatting full hard disk or installing New OS won't help you in anyway because BIOS is firmware that resides inside motherboard chip, it will work without the Hard disk.

Read more:
Hacking and Security News

Reactions: DeepWeb

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For me its sounds like a Rootkit vector which like does same at all.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
i think. this very danger. virus not just infect Hard disk nowadays, but motherboard chip too. even without Hard disk we still infected.
:dodgy:

D

Deleted member 178

worldblackstar said:
A Chinese Antivirus Firm 360 discovered a new Trojan BMW Virus that infects BIOS(motherboard chip program) and MBR(Master Boot drive) Formatting full hard disk or installing New OS won't help you in anyway because BIOS is firmware that resides inside motherboard chip, it will work without the Hard disk.

just flash the bios and chipset.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Yes, flashing the bios will solve this.

And this will only be able to effect certain chipsets.

D

Deleted member 178

now another question:

did they really find it or created it for boosting the reputation of their company (and in same time extend their market-shares via this good advertisement)?

it is not the first time that Chinese AV companies create and spread malwares then announce their product can get rid of them... :dodgy:

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
now another question:

did they really find it or created it for boosting the reputation of their company (and in same time extend their market-shares via this good advertisement)?

Good question. I know Rise soft did create a banker trojan or something to make people buy their av

D

Deleted member 178

Valentin N said:
Good question. I know Rise soft did create a banker trojan or something to make people buy their av

yes and one of the board member was sentenced to death (if my memory is good)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
One theory also that perhaps a coincidence from Chinese Security Firm detected it as virus caused the one made by malware writer was based in China..

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
A funny thing that I heard was that AV's create most of the malware. Don't know if that is true

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Simply Google searching brings up some interesting results such as

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7810_102-116606.html & http://forum.kasperskyclub.com/index.php?showtopic=6464

Either way I'm not exactly sure what goes on or what my opinion is.

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
Oh come on guys... :dodgy: Well anyways, the threat was not developed by 360. But this variant seems to have been developed in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.