Bitcoin Miner on my MacBook Pro?

Smiltley

Thread author
Dec 18, 2017
Hello,
I wonder if anyone could give me more details about these threats detected by my BitDefender while browsing a Web page. Just remembering that I didn't execute anything. The malware was detected in the Safari cache, is it possible that this malware could feed on my processor to mine bitcoins? I would like to know how the malware behaves in the environment, and on more details, if possible. Thank you.

JS: Application. BitCoinMiner. WO

/Users/user/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/WebKitCache/Version 11/Records/7292D4005E2C3756CCEF8488DE37F9A5A90C833F/Resource/F4DFB5AE29AC8C9513B8FF5A55FA34F8C4A22471-blob = > (INFECTED_JS)

Application. BitCoinMiner. UB

/Users/user/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/WebKitCache/Version 11/BLOBs/BD61378A28572355F20C5B7E2D682DB18A033280

Reactions: upnorth

Smiltley

Thread author
Dec 18, 2017
The webpage runs a javascript code in browser enviroment is enough for it to use your CPU to mine coins. Some sites are kind to ask for your permission while most seems not.
How to stop sites from 'borrowing' your CPU to mine cryptocurrency
There are several topics in the forum and internet about "mining coin using javascript in browser" which you could do some further resarch..
Thank you for your quick reply,
But considering this malware referred to, it's making use of my CPU just as I find myself in the browser environment, right? Say if I empty the cache, reboot the computer, it will no longer be mined bitcoins, right?

d0ts

Level 1
Verified
Nov 9, 2017
I believe so. Give it a try to confirm.
You may consider to use an adblocker with proper filter or an anti-miner extension on your browser to prevent the javascript from even having a chance to load into system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.