App Review BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition prevention and detection Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thanks for the Bitdefender Free test @safe1st :) It did very well. I like the UI as well, its very clean. Is there even a good reason to buy Bitdefender IS or TS if Free version includes the same protection modules as paid versions? And does it come with the Anti-Ransom module built-in or have to install it seperately?

D

Deleted member 2913

R.I.P Adware Avast! Free :D
Yeah, Bd free did good...no bells/whistles/craps/ads & effective protection for average users.

safe1st,
Malware detected on PC But not on VT - It was detected by Bd free behavior blocker...I dont think VT uses BB of products.
Malware detected on VT But not on PC - If I am correct, VT uses command line scanner & high settings of products.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Thanks for the Bitdefender Free test @safe1st :) It did very well. I like the UI as well, its very clean. Is there even a good reason to buy Bitdefender IS or TS if Free version includes the same protection modules as paid versions? And does it come with the Anti-Ransom module built-in or have to install it seperately?

No, paid version usually has more features :)

Yeah, Bd free did good...no bells/whistles/craps/ads & effective protection for average users.

safe1st,
Malware detected on PC But not on VT - It was detected by Bd free behavior blocker...I dont think VT uses BB of products.
Malware detected on VT But not on PC - If I am correct, VT uses command line scanner & high settings of products.

Hmm... yaa I think so
I mentioned in the video, so you all know :)

Thanks everyone!
Have a great day

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Is this an on-demand scanner or does it offers real-time protection especially when offline? Do you need to manually download the definitions or do they auto download. Also, if auto download, how many times a day?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: safe1st and AtlBo

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Hi

Is this an on-demand scanner or does it offers real-time protection especially when offline? Do you need to manually download the definitions or do they auto download. Also, if auto download, how many times a day?

Thanks

1.It has real time protection, It's not cloud based so they store signatures locally

2.The definitions manually update usually once about every hour or so on my system

3. I need to update my picture to BD :D been using it for about a week now.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
1.It has real time protection, It's not cloud based so they store signatures locally

2.The definitions manually update usually once about every hour or so on my system

It use Cloud too. It stores signatures but it use more Cloud than the normal, paid bitdefender products. Cant find the post where a bd staff wrote it, sorry.

Reactions: safe1st

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Yah, I just installed it. And was playing with it when I realized it doesn't scan removable drives.

Anyway to get it to scan multi removable drives?

Thanks

Note:- If there's no way to do this then I'll be reverting back to Avast Free AV

Last edited:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
The free one has Signatures+ Active threat control but not the anti-ransomware module. @safe1st Basically, in Virus Total are stored only local signatures. So Active threat control (which is a behavioiral blocker) detection is not included. The same for cloud signatures. Avira cloud and Symantec cloud, for example, it's not included

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.