App Review Bitdefender Antivirus Free [v1.0.14.76] vs Project57 ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
This test is completely useless IMHO.Always a companion like CF or VoodooShiled free or Exe Radar will take care of any ransomware if the traditional AV fails to detect.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Oh no! Uninstalling Bitdefender right away! Switching to Kaspersky Free, and no ransomware will ever touch my PC again. I am pigeon trilobyte and change my security softs whenever I see them fail in youtube!
With the new ransomwares all the security products they have difficulty stopping them
You could make video of every av failing indeed, but the youtube videos are favorism of some product and bashing of one like wd. Theres someone monetizing behind every review

edit: best av is probably one with the many security layers and has many customization settings to tweak the protection
Imo bitdefender free has zero tweaking/ settings to modify . Probably good for home users that arent av fanatics and do want to replace WD

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Oh no! Uninstalling Bitdefender right away! Switching to Kaspersky Free, and no ransomware will ever touch my PC again. I am pigeon trilobyte and change my security softs whenever I see them fail in youtube!
I think some people expect to much from a free AV
i'm not saying all of them (freebies) would have missed this ransomware, but paid solutions have more layers to stop such things.... but some paid solutions can also fail the test.
That shows that no AV is 100 %

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
i'm not saying all of them (freebies) would have missed this ransomware, but paid solutions have more layers to stop such things.... but some paid solutions can also fail the test.
That's where OS hardening and/or default deny comes in handy. Plus a good browser content blocker/url filter/dns which would likely block this download.
Still there would be a small chance of infection... The best protection will always be brain.exe ;)

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Many paid solutions fail test with ransomware. Juan Diaz

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
That's where OS hardening and/or default deny comes in handy. Plus a good browser content blocker/url filter/dns which would likely block this download.
Still there would be a small chance of infection... The best protection will always be brain.exe ;)
Agree. Download blocked = problem solved LOOOL or just use Sandboxie always and you will not get infected because even if the download isn't blocked the ransomware is in the sandbox and it cannot touch real OS.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
The easy way is 1 . test the file at sanbox. 2. check your file to virus total. I do that and I never did any infection on my computer. And realy i play many with virus and cracks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.