Battle BitDefender Antivirus Free vs Avast Antivirus Free vs Avira Antivirus Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrrren

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 2, 2015
Which antivirus to put a bunch of SpyShelter Premium +Windows Firewall Control(binisoft) ?
Win7 x64 Other ? Thanks

Reactions: JakeXPMan

HastaLaVista

Aug 17, 2015
  • Resource Usage (eg: CPU, RAM): draw, with the indication of Avira, since BitDefender takes overall a little bit less of CPU time, but consumes much more RAM.
  • Level of Protection and Features (eg: Antivirus , Firewall, Behavior Blocker): Avira has more features, configuration options and is generally more effective when it comes to the malware detection (Proactive and Reactive).
  • Overall Winner: Avira.
Edit: I've just noticed, that you've added Avast - as the third contestant - to BitDefender and Avira. Still Avira is the winner here. Avast is not too hungry for PC resources and perhaps has more features, but its engine is not so good, and its detection ratio usually lags behind both: BitDefender and Avira.

Last edited:
Reactions: rrrren

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Good solutions IMO. All three are great in their own ways, here's my take on each of them.

Avast free

PROS
Easy to use and configure
Is a lightweight AV
Avast has pretty fast scans
Great detection, and very secure on hardened mode
Works well on old PC's and only requires P4 CPU with at least EE2 instructions.

CONS
Heaviest on resting RAM usage but still only peaks at 43ks just like Windows Defender
Installer I recommened the custom install! Lose all that bloatware, Avast only :)
Privacy policy is generous to Avast
Needs registration

Bitdefender free

PROS

LESS fuss then both Avira and Avast
Requires NO fuss at all (install + forget)
Very light on system
Doesnt scan the same safe file twice
Has a great virus shield on it (detections are great)
Runs well on OLD hardware just like Avast
NO pop up, PUP's or adds at all!

CONS

Bitdefender is a Buggy AV free and paid versions
Weird bare minimal UI, example = (right click "B"itdefender logo to find the full scan option)
Average zero day
Updates can be a bit heavy but are somewhat quick
SLOW as HELL scan speeds
User requires email to stay "logged in" and running

Avira free

PROS

Probably the best privacy policy (respects your info)
Easy to use and light UI
Light on system, as are the other three
Great signatures
Fast scanning
No user sign up or email required

CONS

Poor zero day
Cluttered and old looking Interface with many confusing settings
Needs a good firewall to go with it

Last edited:

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Which antivirus to put a bunch of SpyShelter Premium +Windows Firewall Control(binisoft) ?
Win7 x64 Other ? Thanks

This is a tough choice, I updated my post since you hit "like", I would go with Avira or Avast! :)

Avast would be great with your spy shelter and firewall control. I'd lean twards Avast for you, as the man above me has a key. Or even free would be enough if Pro is heavy.

I'm actually thinking of using one of these myself, instead of Windows Defender.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
At Bitdefender Antivirus - has its own HIPS, unfortunately
Need purely signature-based antivirus

Bitdefender uses some cloud as well, but at least has NO adds or advertisement at all.
Why only signatures for you? If you want only that, its opened the door for zero day malware? ...

Avira has the best or most consistent "signature based protection".

Avast and Bitdefender are not just signatured like Avira is.

Reactions: rrrren
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.