Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi guys,

Is it a good idea to install Bitdefender Free alongside an existing AV, disable its on-access (active) component, and run it as an on-demand scanner?

Thanks!

MW
no, it's a very bad idea I would say
BD free is very likely to conflict with your current AV
furthermore, BD free doesn't have the latest signatures compared to BD's paid products. BD free will install some drivers and files which will cause conflicts
I would suggest you to use emsisoft emergency kit and hitmanpro because these 2 also have BD signatures, at least more updated than BD free. zemana free portable may also use BD signatures but it's not confirmed. All these 3 have significant faster scanning speed than BD. with the same amount of time, you can finish the scan of these 3 compared to 1 scan from BD
BD free has cloud feature but I found it's very bad and doesn't work with on-demand scanning, only on execution

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Bitdefender Free Antivirus is NOT an on-demand scanner, therefore cannot be used alongside an existing Antivirus program.

Free Tools by Bitdefender:
Free Tools Archives

Single-time use, ESET Online Scanner:
Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scan from ESET

Alternatively install a dedicated on-demand scanner for scanning and removal of malware and unwanted applications as mentioned by other members.

Bottom line: It's advised to run only ONE Antivirus application with Real-Time protection.

P

plat1098

Adding all this bulk and glop to a system, why? I use the Emsisoft Emerg. Kit's commandline scanner--fast, clean and simple. HitmanPro is only free during the 30 day trial. You have Trend Micro's scanner, right? Just one or two standalones plus the one built into your resident security is fine.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Adding all this bulk and glop to a system, why?
Most on-demand scanners do not auto-update, this solves that problem, especially when used for scheduled on-demand scanning or via right click.

HitmanPro is only free during the 30 day trial.
HitmanPro is free forever, but for scanning only. Free trial allows to remove detected threats.

P

plat1098

HitmanPro is free forever, but for scanning only. Free trial allows to remove detected threats.

Yes, that's true but I, like many regular users, find a scanner without cleaning ability to be kind of useless in the commonplace context. Even cookies.

Most on-demand scanners do not auto-update, this solves that problem, especially when used for scheduled on-demand scanning or via right click.

I'm interested in this. Having used Bitdefender in past (the paid but it is bulky and chatty), you are saying it is worthwhile to install this full AV for the ability to update its scanner? There would be no other activity on Bitdefender's part, network or otherwise even though real time is off (you hope)?

I contrast this with EEK--you can update the EEK with a single command, so simple, even though it's not automatic. After scan, you make it go away.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Yes, that's true but I, like many regular users, find a scanner without cleaning ability to be kind of useless in the commonplace context.
In order to clean malware, you have to find it first. Cleaning can be done manually pretty easily, but detecting it, not really, even if you know, what to look for.

I'm interested in this. Having used Bitdefender in past (the paid but it is bulky and chatty), you are saying it is worthwhile to install this full AV for the ability to update its scanner? There would be no other activity on Bitdefender's part, network or otherwise even though real time is off (you hope)?
It was pretty commonly recommended in the past by AV experts, even using multiple realtime AVs at the same time. These days, when AVs are more compatible than ever, it is discouraged. If you install AV and disable realtime, auto-updating is in place including shell for scanning, sure it can be done with some on-demand scanners, but why bother to do it manually, it is too complicated. In order to update most on-demand scanners, you have to run them first or even re-download, like Cureit, KAV.

P.S. WD works the same way, all its services are up and running, just the realtime is disabled and everyone is excited about it as if it is some cool new feature. :unsure:

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Probably won't cause a conflict but why take the risk when there are so many on demand scanners out there that are made for this. Bitdefender are one of the AV providers that like to license their signatures out to other AV providers like Emsisoft, Lavasoft, Bullguard and many others. If you want to use their signatures why not get an AV that also uses their signatures by default?

If you want to keep your current AV you can use the on demand scanners as many other members here have metioned

Reactions: bribon77

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
In the past I did it. to use a real-time antivirus and another for scans .. but today I do not see it necessary, with the Virus Total tool, and the scanners on demand. as. Zemana, Emsisoft kit. Norton Power Eraser Hitman pro. etc.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It all comes down, what on-demand scanning had OP in mind? Portable scanners are suitable for a full computer scan. On the other hand, an installed AV for a regular right-click or custom folders scanning, like for downloads. If the user never launches the GUI, it would be preferable, if it were updated automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.