Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
how this compare to KSC Free in terms of protection?:):):)

Kaspersky is better than Bitdefender in terms of pure detection (in database)

Bitdefender's big asset is behavioral detection.
It all depends on what you are looking for (by the way, I have planned a video on these 2 dueling antiviruses soon, but lack of time at the moment)

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Kaspersky is better than Bitdefender in terms of pure detection (in database)

Bitdefender's big asset is behavioral detection.
It all depends on what you are looking for (by the way, I have planned a video on these 2 dueling antiviruses soon, but lack of time at the moment)

I don't think that kaspersky is better in databases knowing that offline protection is far superior in Bitdefender. Greetings.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Does Bd free has protection against script malware?

i saw somewhere that it was locked in settings

Just to add one more detail, AMSI support it's available only in paid versions of Bitdefender. That's the reason why it's locked in settings of BD free. As already mentioned by @Shadowra #120 behavioral detection (Advanced Threat Defense) works well against malicious scripts, so this kind of attacks are basically covered even on BD free. However, AMSI support by every AV would increase detection, that's a fact, so it's a real advantage, but the question how useful is that even for users with safe browsing habits and when users being carefully to consider the most common attack vector via emails attachments...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Since silversurfer highlighted the AMSI factor of Bitdefender, I would like to mention something about Bitdefender and AMSI.
For reasons I'm not entirely sure, Bitdefender doesn't prefer AMSI in any version of their product. It's disabled in the paid home versions by default, and even in their Enterprise version of Bitdefender Gravity Zone Ultra.
I was discussing this with a friend of mine, and he pointed out that Bitdefender don't necessarily need AMSI because they already have their own emulator and script interpreter in their product named "B-HAVE". It's an old Bitdefender technology dating back to 2006. Surely it has been updated ever since along with other technologies of the product.
The Enterprise version have an excellent protection feature named HyperDetect which seems like a modern, updated and advanced version of B-HAVE.
As I said, AMSI is disabled by default in all of their products and for Enterprise lab tests where vendors are given the opportunity to modify product settings, Bitdefender still don't enable the AMSI in their product. They enable HyperDetect (which is also disabled by default policy) in those Enterprise tests.
Also, as we can see, in basically every professional tests for home users, Bitdefender still produces top results, it's always one of the best performers in those tests without AMSI. So I think for Bitdefender, AMSI is not as important as you may think. It's not needed in their products. So far, they are doing just fine without AMSI.
I hope in the future HyperDetect will be available in the home products.
So don't worry about Bitdefender Free not having AMSI. You're still going to be protected against scripts.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Since silversurfer highlighted the AMSI factor of Bitdefender, I would like to mention something about Bitdefender and AMSI.
For reasons I'm not entirely sure, Bitdefender doesn't prefer AMSI in any version of their product. It's disabled in the paid home versions by default, and even in their Enterprise version of Bitdefender Gravity Zone Ultra.
I was discussing this with a friend of mine, and he pointed out that Bitdefender don't necessarily need AMSI because they already have their own emulator and script interpreter in their product named "B-HAVE". It's an old Bitdefender technology dating back to 2006. Surely it has been updated ever since along with other technologies of the product.
The Enterprise version have an excellent protection feature named HyperDetect which seems like a modern, updated and advanced version of B-HAVE.
As I said, AMSI is disabled by default in all of their products and for Enterprise lab tests where vendors are given the opportunity to modify product settings, Bitdefender still don't enable the AMSI in their product. They enable HyperDetect (which is also disabled by default policy) in those Enterprise tests.
Also, as we can see, in basically every professional tests for home users, Bitdefender still produces top results, it's always one of the best performers in those tests without AMSI. So I think for Bitdefender, AMSI is not as important as you may think. It's not needed in their products. So far, they are doing just fine without AMSI.
I hope in the future HyperDetect will be available in the home products.
So don't worry about Bitdefender Free not having AMSI. You're still going to be protected against scripts.

Post of the day! Thanks for posting this. I wish I could test the Enterprise version at home to be honest. But it is sad that they do not have AMSI enabled by default in that product. But your point makes it clear that they do not necessarily need it.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
However, in detection, Kaspersky outperforms Bitdefender.
But a database is not everything
I dispute that, Kaspersky is neither better in detection nor in protection than Bitdefender, it is with seeing the last result in av comparatives. What if Kaspersky is more configurable, but that does not make it superior.
Greetings.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
If we were to gather all the results from the 2022 tests, Norton would be the first, but I don't think there is much difference between the first 10 AV. Microsoft Defender will be the most used, regardless of the ranking, because not everything is about it. Protection, performance, reliability, interface, price...

Microsoft defender is one of the ones that uses the most resources, Greetings. And WD's protection is very easy to bypass.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Microsoft defender is one of the ones that uses the most resources, Greetings. And WD's protection is very easy to bypass.

It depends.
If it's a 100% FUD script, then yes.
But just a little known code, WD will alert...

This is what happens on my Origami that I used in my tests (which will come back, but I don't know when), even if I use a packer, WD continues to alert because known code....

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I see a lot of people on reddit talk about how MS Defender is so easily bypassed, and isn't trustrworthy because of this. Seems like FUD argument to me. If it was such a piece of cake to bypass then why doesn't all malware bypass MD since it is the most popular by far due to it being the default? Any targetted AV can be bypassed by a skilled attacker.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I see a lot of people on reddit talk about how MS Defender is so easily bypassed, and isn't trustrworthy because of this. Seems like FUD argument to me. If it was such a piece of cake to bypass then why doesn't all malware bypass MD since it is the most popular by far due to it being the default? Any targetted AV can be bypassed by a skilled attacker.

Tru dat blackice.

Yeah, for a long time, WD was one of the easier products to bypass. But Microsoft put a lot of resources into MD... and it is now a pretty good product.

MD and a commercial system were the Big 2 that detected and mitigated the malware onslaught on Ukraine. Granted... Microsoft was Loaded for Bear (so to speak) and hunting for cyber interference...

MD was an early player in cloud detection and alert of bad guys testing malware. The days when malware authors can just tweak and tweak to bypass may be numbered. Although re-encrypting and re-packing malware to bypass still works.

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
I dispute that, Kaspersky is neither better in detection nor in protection than Bitdefender, it is with seeing the last result in av comparatives. What if Kaspersky is more configurable, but that does not make it superior.
Greetings.
You're commenting this with the Bitdefender photo LOL hard to take you seriously since it looks like you're a fanboy of the brand. Seriously though, Kaspersky is far higher

Last edited:

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
You're commenting this with the Bitdefender photo LOL hard to take you seriously since it looks like you're a fanboy of the brand. Seriously though, Kaspersky is far superior
in fact I have had Kaspersky, so don't insult me. Kaspersky is absolutely not superior in anything, Kaspersky is overrated. Uninstall kaspersky for various reasons. A fanboy would not go from one antivirus to another. Bitdefender has nothing to send to Kaspersky, even in the latest av comparative tests your "superior" kaspersky is defeated. Greetings.

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
in fact I have had Kaspersky, so don't insult me. Kaspersky is absolutely not superior in anything, Kaspersky is overrated. Uninstall kaspersky for various reasons. A fanboy would not go from one antivirus to another. Bitdefender has nothing to send to Kaspersky, even in the latest av comparative tests your "superior" kaspersky is defeated. Greetings.
Only a fool believes AV Comparatives and AV Test, they get paid to choose which antivirus is better. I remember Panda, in all tests it was always 100% protection, it was tested here on the Hub for a while and in all tests it was 100% infected system LOL

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.