New Update Bitdefender Free Antivirus is back

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
This week Bitdefender released a brand new, re-architected free antivirus product -- Bitdefender Antivirus Free for Windows. The new version offers enhanced features, functionality, and improved user experience in comparison to the previous free version, including, malware protection, and custom scanning scheduling options. Additionally, the new free version offers email protection for Outlook and Thunderbird, providing an extra layer of protection against malware. There is also an exploit detection feature that informs users if they are vulnerable or at higher risk for compromise.

In December 2021, Bitdefender announced the end-of-life for its previous free antivirus solution that resided on a legacy technology platform. The new Bitdefender Antivirus Free for Windows has been re-engineered from the ground up to detect and block the latest threats targeting today’s modern environments.
Source

Seems that they back again...strange how world crisis make some company to reconsider what they say.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I am wondering how the current world situation played into this too, but if I had to guess I would say BD has been working on this new free edition for a long time, probably since way before everything turned bad in Russia and Ukraine. I think BD had this in the works last year and when it was close to being ready was when they announced the EOL for the old BD Free. I also think the Russian invasion of Ukraine was a terrible coincidence here, I really don't think BD would have planned it that way on purpose.

It could also be that BD got word about the new Kaspersky Free and other new versions of Kaspersky before they were released, so BD decided to bring back a different and possibly better version of BD Free, and maybe we will see all-new editions of BD AV Plus and the other BD AV's sometime soon too. If I remember it correctly when BD announced the end of the old BD Free last year there were more than just a few BD Free users that were none too pleased their AV was being discontinued.

C.H.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

One of my last Windows 7 security setups was Bitdefender free coupled with Comodo Firewall. Because BD free relied heavily on old school AV fingerprint data base it played well with Comodo's execution control (I ran a setup like CruelSister with HIPS partially enabled for ring-3 user land protections in non-UAC protected folders).

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Will be interesting consider if Bitdefender actually did/do use new modules or just plain copied from the old one. Marketing is usually very effective, but also something to be natural sceptic about no matter what vendor/brand. Version number on their engine etc would perhaps help answer.

This free version lacks pretty much compared to the paid version ( AV Plus ). A hint is to click on the arrows on the left side of the text. That reveals even more features and moduls missing.
2022-03-18-10-16-02.jpg

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Anyone may knows what about Bitdefender Advanced Threat Protection/Defense, or is that available for paid versions only?

I can't find related info on homepage:
Advanced Threat Defense has always been available in all versions of Bitdefender, including the free one

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Will be interesting consider if Bitdefender actually did/do use new modules or just plain copied from the old one. Marketing is usually very effective, but also something to be natural sceptic about no matter what vendor/brand. Version number on their engine etc would perhaps help answer.

This free version lacks pretty much compared to the paid version ( AV Plus ). A hint is to click on the arrows on the left side of the text. That reveals even more features and moduls missing.
2022-03-18-10-16-02.jpg
VPN, Profiles and File shredder are not missed, but it remains to be seen if ransomware remediation will be missed.
How good is the new free version against scripts and especially ransomware?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Well, this free version is a recent decision. When Bitdefender shut down the free version in December 2021, they said they'll provide signature updates till June 2022. So it's pretty clear that they had no intention to have a new free version in the near future.
Now due to the war and due to the rush of boycotting Kaspersky, many paid and even free Kaspersky users are looking to move to a different product. So Bitdefender thought this is a good opportunity to gain some users.
Smart move. Can't blame them. This is business.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

2022-03-18-10-16-02.jpg
Looks again a good companion for Comodo Firewall with CS tweaks.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
VPN, Profiles and File shredder are not missed, but it remains to be seen if ransomware remediation will be missed.
How good is the new free version against scripts and especially ransomware?
Interesting to know about because that means their own compare table/info is wrong. Guess some webmaster needs a head slap or a wakeup pill.

Scripts is and always in general gonna be a Achilles heel for all AV and extra when they are genuine fresh/zero days. Personal I'm much more curious on any genuine tamper protection.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Well, this free version is a recent decision. When Bitdefender shut down the free version in December 2021, they said they'll provide signature updates till June 2022. So it's pretty clear that they had no intention to have a new free version in the near future.
Now due to the war and due to the rush of boycotting Kaspersky, many paid and even free Kaspersky users are looking to move to a different product. So Bitdefender thought this is a good opportunity to gain some users.
Smart move. Can't blame them. This is business.

Let's hope it won't just be a short-lived pleasure. If Bitdefender shuts down it's free version again in the near future then I'd expect quite a few people to get mad.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
his is good news for everyone who has used this software.
now they can come back to him.
but if it will meet the conditions for systems and if it will have more functions to configure it, time will show.
May it meet all of this, it would be great, the more that it is free.
I hope it will be so.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Advanced Threat Defense has always been available in all versions of Bitdefender, including the free one
Of course, true. But doesn't mean it's still available even in this new free version. Homepage shows only "Antivirus => OnAccess Scan" that may includes also Advanced Threat Defense.

EDIT: My doubt was wrong, @SecureKongo confirmed here #22 he kindly posted a screenshot...

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.