harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
BitDefender Free 2019 - June 2019 Report
Due to the small number of samples used in this tests, you should take results with a grain of salt. We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
__

C: Clean / P: Protected / P - NC: Protected - Not Clean / I: Infected / E: Encrypted

* Dynamic BB Bonus Test (Protection disabled)
* Partially Blocked

* BSR: Before System Reboot
* ASR: After System Reboot

June
Samples
Pack
Static
Detection
Dynamic
Detection
Total
Detection
Bait Files
Encrypted
2nd Opinion
Scanners
System
Final Status
Thread
Link
03/06/2019​
20​
5 / 20​
12 / 15​
17 / 20​
No​
I
BSR: I
ASR: I
05/06/2019​
19​
8 / 19​
9 / 11​
17 / 19​
No​
C / I (NPE)
P - NC
06/06/2019​
1​
1 / 1​
0 / 1*
1 / 1
0 / 1*
No
Yes*
-​
C
I / E*
06/06/2019​
15​
7 / 15​
5 / 8​
12 / 15​
No​
C / I (HMP)
P - NC
10/06/2019​
1​
0 / 1​
0 / 1​
0 / 1​
No​
C
P
11/06/2019​
22​
8 / 22​
7 + 1* / 14​
16 / 22​
No​
C / I (NPE)
ASR: P - NC
12/06/2019​
16​
12 / 16​
3 / 4​
15 / 16​
No​
C
P
13/06/2019​
15​
7 / 15​
5 / 8​
12 / 15​
No​
C / I (HMP)
ASR: P - NC

Last edited:

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
My 1st impressions after this test:

1.- Even being a so simple product and almost no protection modules/tweaks, I found/felft the system slower than I expected :unsure: :unsure:

2.- If You watch the video, You may check that BDF some times takes long to show the warnings after every detection/blocking, I even had to ran twice some samples to get a response and know what was happening :rolleyes:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have the exact same experience when testing BD
the update process consumed a lot of CPU and froze my VM sometimes. The cloud lookup took too long. ATC was slow but quite good although it caused high CPU while analyzing, same as what your video showed
I quited testing this AV for many reasons

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I forgot to add that at the moment of posting this 1st malware pack for June, I also checked KTS2020b TR Russian (default settings) on demand and the result was 19 / 20... BDF was at the same time 4 / 20...

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I have the exact same experience when testing BD
the update process consumed a lot of CPU and froze my VM sometimes. The cloud lookup took too long. ATC was slow but quite good although it caused high CPU while analyzing, same as what your video showed
I quited testing this AV for many reasons
When I tried it in windows 8.1 I had the same problems like you. Now on windows 10 1809 i have not any problem. . Only on detection pretty hi cpu for few seconds. The rest is light on my system.

My 1st impressions after this test:

1.- Even being a so simple product and almost no protection modules/tweaks, I found/felft the system slower than I expected :unsure: :unsure:

2.- If You watch the video, You may check that BDF some times takes long to show the warnings after every detection/blocking, I even had to ran twice some samples to get a response and know what was happening :rolleyes:
Surely there are some small problems. He spends a lot of rams, In the updates and at detection use high cpu, but it is normal for a product that has not been updated for three years. It has a very good web filter, ( but have some false positives) And very good BB. Not bad at all. It protects pretty well for free edition, but it can not be compared with the top protections like Kaspersky free, Avast free, or Avg free.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks @harlan4096 for testing BD free. I would be more than happy to start testing Norton internet security starting on Monday if it will help people out and show us all what it can do. If the Malwarehub team don't mind I will definitely start testing Norton starting Monday and I'll take a leaf out of @harlan4096 's book and test the product for 2 weeks.

I'll contact one of the Malwarehub team either today or tomorrow regarding me testing Norton and to make sure I use the correct format for the Malwarehub.

Also I can't force signature update nor scan an specific folder :emoji_grimacing:

Not a very good start for SHP then :ROFLMAO:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.