BitDefender free taking up a lot of space

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
After all the recent rave reviews I thought I'd give Bitdefender free av a go. One thing that surprised me though was how much space it takes up, 947 MB for the main folder, which seems way too much. I think Panda took up about 150MB, and I think Avast used to take up about 300MB. Any thoughts, info etc would be appreciated.

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Thanks for the info. I am going back a long time regarding Avast, probably at least 5 years, but I'm sure it was only about 300, but then I could be wrong. Panda though was definitely nowhere near 900 MB though, but if 947MB is about right for BD, then I guess it 's OK. I could maybe understand it for a paid suite with quite a few more features but it seems very high for a free AV.

Are there any other BitDefender free users here who can confirm how much space it uses?

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Thanks for the info. I am going back a long time regarding Avast, probably at least 5 years, but I'm sure it was only about 300, but then I could be wrong. Panda though was definitely nowhere near 900 MB though, but if 947MB is about right, then I guess it 's OK. I could maybe understand it for a paid suite with quite a few more features but it seems very high for a free AV.
True. When I used Avast years ago, its size was small, if I'm correct, not even 300 MB. I tested years later and it was nearly 1 GB. These software got bigger as time passed.

danwat1234

Jun 19, 2019
Thanks for the info. I am going back a long time regarding Avast, probably at least 5 years, but I'm sure it was only about 300, but then I could be wrong. Panda though was definitely nowhere near 900 MB though, but if 947MB is about right for BD, then I guess it 's OK. I could maybe understand it for a paid suite with quite a few more features but it seems very high for a free AV.

Are there any other BitDefender free users here who can confirm how much space it uses?
Bitdefender Antivirus Free directory in Program Files for me is 2.1GiB , about 2.25GB. Most of the space is taken up in the \ThreatScanner directory. It has 2 installations in there each about 600MB. I've had it installed for a while, i don't think i have anything quarantined.

There is a lot of malware out there, not surprised if there are millions of definitions and variations!

Also when i do a clean install of Norton Internet Security 2014 (v21), it downloads over 300MB of updates, which then needs to be compressed probably.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
From my viewing ESET & Norton along with KIS are the smallest on disc, Emsisoft a couple of hundred meg bigger, G-data the largest I've used recently but none are overly large - Panda was tiny a while ago but as I can't use SD with it it was discarded.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.