Bitdefender Home Scanner - an IoT vulnerability scanner for your home

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm trying the free Bitdefender Home Scanner, which is a free IoT vulnerability scanner for the home. It's also a non-intrusive advertising vehicle for the BD Box. This is a free tool for those who may not wish to pay for an expensive appliance to monitor and defend their IoT environment. It scans your wifi network to identify all connected devices. It's free and it's working fine here after a failed attempt 6 months ago when it cut my wifi connection, as did BD Free AV when I tried it. When you scan your network you will see a small but non-intrusive ad in the GUI for the BD Box appliance. It scans in a reasonable amount of time, showing all devices on the network and any vulnerability. It will also notify you when a new device accesses the network. I don't feel I need this app but I thought I'd give it another go to see how it performed.

You may find it here: Bitdefender Home Scanner

Stay safe, not paranoid!
os

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Have you found it useful at all so far?

Not really, except to see that what's on my network are only our devices. I don't believe anyone would want to get on our network anyway. I'm sure there are more attractive targets. Not really a necessary app but I don't mind trying it for a while.

It's really a harmless advertising tool. This little promo sits just above the "scan" button. Not too "scary".

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Not really, except to see that what's on my network are only our devices. I don't believe anyone would want to get on our network anyway. I'm sure there are more attractive targets. Not really a necessary app but I don't mind trying it for a while.

It's really a harmless advertising tool. This little promo sits just above the "scan" button. Not too "scary".

View attachment 214421

Does it scan for open ports or vulnerabilities? I thought about downloading it before when I dropped eset. They had a similar scanner that checked that sort of thing. No clue if it really was checking much.

Edit: Speaking to the part about more attractive targets. I discovered some unknown devices on my network through our router’s list once. I am pretty sure my neighbor’s son might be a script kiddie. I nuked the network and started from scratch. Been a bit cautious since, but not too worried. But, that’s what led to me trying out a Gryphon.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Does it scan for open ports or vulnerabilities? I thought about downloading it before when I dropped eset. They had a similar scanner that checked that sort of thing. No clue if it really was checking much.
It seems to do so, but it didn't find anything on my network, so I'm probably safe... :unsure:
There is not much info.
Uninstalled it and the installed Bitdefender Agent.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It seems to do so, but it didn't find anything on my network, so I'm probably safe... :unsure:
There is not much info.
Uninstalled it and the installed Bitdefender Agent.

Yes, it's bare-bones. I would think tt must do sufficient testing so that if it finds a vulnerability it can "encourage" you to buy their Box.

And yes, @blackice the BD Agent is everywhere! :LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.