Battle Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 vs Kaspersky Internet Security 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukajlo

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2011
I want to buy KIS 16 key but I still have BitDefender. Whats you experience with those two Anitivirus?
1 more question, if someone knows, can I activate KIS 16 with KIS 15 unactivated key?
Thanks everyone, this is very important to me

Reactions: done

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
What was 23rd? It was officially released today "Patch a has been officially released. Don't forget to restart your system after updating." 23rd was when the beta version was released for testing.

In your link:

Patch A for Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 has been released on 30 July, 2015.

Patch A is installed automatically with databases updates of Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 version 16.0.0.614 and fixes the following:

• Some interface issues.
  • Some Secure Data Input issues
To install Patch A:

1. Run the update for Kaspersky Internet Security 2016.
  2. When the update is completed, restart your computer.
  3. Upon restart, open Kaspersky Internet Security 2016.
  4. In the lower part of the window, click the Support link.
  5. If the patch has been installed successfully, the letter a will be added to the product version number.

Reactions: Enju

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
> Which one can you use with Sandboxie?
> Which one will micro/macro viruses?
> Which one stop scripts?
> Which one stop worms?

Something to think about!;)

For Sandboxie seems that question is already answered with the link you posted on a thread in Avira. ;)

forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21539

The other questions may surely answer by @cruelsister since she test those scripts and other mitigations which most AV's fail to protect under those circumstances. ;)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Does this patch fix the issues with Windows 10, or is it just the same - kind of odd, I cannot find anything of substance on their forums, only that MR1 is soon to start the beta phase. Does that mean Kaspersky users running Windows 10 will have to await that release before adequate protection is offered?

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
BitDefender for sure because KIS is known to be a ram hog and their scans take forever to scan 60 files that are under 20 MBs.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
That's true but even on Bitdefender's Official Site in the system requirements Windows 10 is included.
Just because they say it runs, doesn't mean it is optimized... IDS isn't working on x64 with BD 2015, there is no AMSI support too...

Does this patch fix the issues with Windows 10, or is it just the same - kind of odd, I cannot find anything of substance on their forums, only that MR1 is soon to start the beta phase. Does that mean Kaspersky users running Windows 10 will have to await that release before adequate protection is offered?
Protection is working fine, the only things not really working are the custom application rules (which are not needed in 99,99%) and the interface self protection, RAM cleanup and rollback don't really matter since an infected machine has to be formated anyways.
However MR1 should fix those issues. :)

BitDefender for sure because KIS is known to be a ram hog and their scans take forever to scan 60 files that are under 20 MBs.
"RAM hog" RAM is there to be used, Bitdefender for example uses over 250MB on a 16GB machine, KIS under 95. :rolleyes:

Lukajlo

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2011
Just because they say it runs, doesn't mean it is optimized... IDS isn't working on x64 with BD 2015, there is no AMSI support too...

Every, and I mean EVERY AV tests says that they are very very close, on some of tests BiDefender is better on some Kaspersky but the difference is very small and you sound like KIS is waaaay better. Please think twice before you post next time. ;)

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Every, and I mean EVERY AV tests says that they are very very close, on some of tests BiDefender is better on some Kaspersky but the difference is very small and you sound like KIS is waaaay better. Please think twice before you post next time. ;)
Did I state otherwise? Please read and understand first, then reply! :rolleyes:
I said BD doesn't have IDS on 64bit and no AMSI support, not that it has better or worse protection than Kaspersky...

Lukajlo

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2011
I dont know why they have such problems, I dont have it, I run Win 10 x64 and everything is ok, maybe they fix that so I think that limitation is for some users only

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I dont know why they have such problems, I dont have it, I run Win 10 x64 and everything is ok, maybe they fix that so I think that limitation is for some users only
No, Patchguard prohibits software from patching the kernel on x64 so it applies to every x64 user. :)

Reactions: Tony Cole

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I was going to say, I truly believe Kaspersky wouldn't fix such limitations on a few systems, and leave the rest as they currently stand. I am mad; as the tech support guy said this patch would fix all the limitation issues.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I am not sure about it because Intrusion Detection System is on Medium since I instal BD (Its on Permissive by default)
I will repeat myself one last time for you: It's there but it is extremely limited on x64 to the point of being literally useless, you can crank it up to max settings and you won't get any popups while on x86 you will... (with exactly the same testfile), this is because of Patchguard on x64 which (theoretically) prevents the patching and/or hooking of the Windows kernel.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
@Enju is right that all AVs face severe constraints on x64 machines due to patch guard. Some AVs reveal the limitations, some don't. It would appear that all settings work, yes, but under the hood there are differences.

Fixing such limitations is extremely hard btw. The current approach taken by most AVs I monitor seem to be the use of hypervisors. For instance, Kaspersky uses a hypervisor module to block webcam captures and filter syscalls on x64 machines. However, not all machines have hardware virtualisation support, thus, some would not be able to enjoy this hypervisor protection. It would be irresponsible for vendors to report that these limitations are "solved" by hypervisors as some people are not able to enjoy its benefits. Also, hypervisor support is extremely hard as you would have to use different routines for AMD and Intel systems etc. while trying to make sure there are no incompatibilities and BSODs.

Lukajlo

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2011
I will repeat myself one last time for you: It's there but it is extremely limited on x64 to the point of being literally useless, you can crank it up to max settings and you won't get any popups while on x86 you will... (with exactly the same testfile), this is because of Patchguard on x64 which (theoretically) prevents the patching and/or hooking of the Windows kernel.
So what you want to say that I am almost unprotected now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.