App Review Bitdefender Internet Security 2017 Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Should I cut boring parts out of the video?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Hi all,

This is my test of Bitdefender Internet Security 2017. The software is using Default settings - completely unchanged & I am now testing within a brand new clean VM (which will be used in all of my tests). I use samples from 5 sources (which can be found in the video's description).

By no means is this video perfect in any way...
1) I should have not tried to calculate the detection rates within the recording - I will do this whilst editing next time to get accurate results.
2) I didn't use secondary scanners in the video at all - I may do this at the end next time.
3) I wasn't that happy with my voice over for this recording but I couldn't re-record the voice over easily once the video had been recorded - I stated a few things incorrectly but corrected them hopefully in the editing stage.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Nice review @MalwareBlockerYT ! I expected Bitdefender to do these tests better. Anyway, very good results.
I recommend you to use Process Explorer in behaviour tests (Process Explorer) to see Virustotal scan results for the malware you're running. It's quite interesting and useful. Keep recording!:)
Thank you very much :) I too expected Bitdefender to do much better but it may just be that my new samples are proving too much for the AVs (Kaspersky was also a letdown compared to when I tested it with my old samples). I will definately install Process Explorer - I had it on my previous VM but since reinstalling Windows I haven't bothered to put it on yet...But I will!

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I think adding SysInternals AutoRuns might be a good option, too :) To know whether malware might cause worries after reboot :rolleyes:
EDIT: Options -> Scan Options -> Check VirusTotal will give you the same ratings as ProcessExplorer does, will open your browser as you need to accept the Terms of Use of VT :)

Last edited:
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
I think adding SysInternals AutoRuns might be a good option, too :) To know whether malware might cause worries after reboot :rolleyes:
EDIT: Options -> Scan Options -> Check VirusTotal will give you the same ratings as ProcessExplorer does, will open your browser as you need to accept the Terms of Use of VT :)
Thanks for the tip :) I will get around to installing ProcessExplorer & will take a look at AutoRuns.

Define boring parts.
Btw why you don't put the links in a word file so you can click and open the site so to avoid wasting time copying and pasting?

Boring parts as in: the movement between tests,setting up the next test or watching the scans, etc... Also I really should do that except I don't have Word on the VM.

Much much better! :) Keep it up

Thanks! It's because of you :D

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Good test :) Appreciate it!

As you can see, Active Threat Control flagged most of the samples. Usually you'd see a notification... but not in your video :) (BD issue, not yours)

I also suggest you use Notepad++ or something similar. This way, you can do one click (click on the line number), then CTRL+C and CTRL+V on browser.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Good test :) Appreciate it!

As you can see, Active Threat Control flagged most of the samples. Usually you'd see a notification... but not in your video :) (BD issue, not yours)

I also suggest you use Notepad++ or something similar. This way, you can do one click (click on the line number), then CTRL+C and CTRL+V on browser.

Thanks, I appreciate it too :) I will be switching to Notepad ++ to do the URL test.

Is Active threat control off by default ? it was not ON so i think that would have been a better detection ?!

Active Threat Control was On & was turned ON throughout the video except for the Detection Test - it needs to be switched off for me to change the samples to .exe - otherwise Bitdefender will start deleting all of the samples without the right click scan.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Thanks to everyone who contributed in the poll:
Should I cut boring parts out of the video?

I am now going to only cut out parts of the video if I make a serious mistake - otherwise the video will be uncut & boring sections of the video (eg. scans) will be sped up to help shorten & improve the video.

Also thanks to everyone who has watched & commented on the video, I really appreciate the help :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
good review. you can do something to make it shorter but more concise ;)
I mean a video >20mins is too long for some audiences to digest which made me skip a few parts sometimes. I think =<12 mins is enough (it also saves your time a lot)

this is the first video you did based on the new guideline so hopefully your next videos would be more concise + better quality :cool:

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
I knew Bitdefender was fierce,but 98.6 % that is awesome,it has(and I am not lying)rescued me 10 times or more(ransomware)
Very good video,keep up the good work:D
I was also surprised by the high detection rate :) But wow 10 times you have been really lucky that Bitdefender has your back!

10 times? where the hell are you hanging around? :D
I was thinking the same thing!

good review. you can do something to make it shorter but more concise ;)
I mean a video >20mins is too long for some audiences to digest which made me skip a few parts sometimes. I think =<12 mins is enough (it also saves your time a lot)

this is the first video you did based on the new guideline so hopefully your next videos would be more concise + better quality :cool:
Thanks Evjl's Rain ;) I will try to keep the majority of my videos shorter & I agree that anything above 20 mins is a bit long but I have been trying not to cut out bits since that's what most of the people on this forum agree is best.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I voted NO on the poll as the "boring parts" are part of the video but I do agree with @SHvFl that you could speed some things up.
Constructive criticism is a good thing and it seems with this video you have put some of that to good use :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.