Battle Bitdefender, Norton, Kaspersky, ZoneAlarm or McAfee ? How do I choose?

low L!fe

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
Here we introduce you to the four most powerful companies in protection
and the differences between Features Version of Antivirus and Internet Security and premium security

1- BitDefender
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus
(Antivirus Engine,Anti-Ransomware,Behavior Detection,Anti-Phishing,Rootkit Detection,Password Manager,
Wifi-Security,Vulnerability Scan,Sandbox Browsers,Game Mode, File Shredder,Spam Blocker)
Bitdefender Internet Security
(Antivirus Engine,Anti-Ransomware,Behavior Detection,Anti-Phishing,Rootkit Detection,Password Manager,
Wifi-Security,Vulnerability Scan,Sandbox Browsers,Game Mode, File Shredder,Spam Blocker) + Two Way Firewall + Parental Control + File Encryption
BitDefender Total Security
Wifi-Security,Vulnerability Scan,Sandbox Browsers,Game Mode, File Shredder,Spam Blocker) +( Two Way Firewall + Parental Control + File Encryption) +PC Tune Up + Multi Device Licenses+ Anti Theft

2-Norton
Norton Antivirus
(Antivirus Engine, Behavior Blocking,Spam Blocker , Startup Manager)
Norton Internet Security
(Antivirus Engine, Behavior Blocking,Spam Blocker , Startup Manager) + Two Way Firewall +PC Tune UP +
Parental Control + AntiPishing + Identity Protection
Norton Security Deluxe
(Antivirus Engine, Behavior Blocking,Spam Blocker , Startup Manager) +( Two Way Firewall +PC Tune UP +
Parental Control + AntiPishing + Identity Protection) + Web Portal Management + Multi-Device Licenses
Norton Security Premium
(Antivirus Engine, Behavior Blocking,Spam Blocker , Startup Manager) +( Two Way Firewall +PC Tune UP +
Parental Control + AntiPishing + Identity Protection) +( Web Portal Management + Multi-Device Licenses)
+Backup + Cloud Storage

3-Kaspersky
Kaspersky Antivirus
(Antivirus engine , Behavioral Blocking, Anti-phishing, Rootkit Protection, Anti-Exploit,SandBox Browser,VPN)
Kaspersky Internet Security
(Antivirus engine , Behavioral Blocking, Anti-phishing, Rootkit Protection, Anti-Exploit,Game Mode adblock) + Two Way Firewall ,Identity Preotection,Parental Control , Anti-Theft, Sandbox Browses,VPN
Kaspersky Total Security
(Antivirus engine , Behavioral Blocking, Anti-phishing, Rootkit Protection, Anti-Exploit,Game Mode adblock) + (Two Way Firewall ,Identity Preotection,Parental Control , Anti-Theft, Sandbox Browses,VPN) +Password Manager,File encryption,Cloud Backup , Kids monitoring,File Shredder, PC Clean UP

4-Zone Alarm
Zone Alarm Firewall Pro
(Firewall , Online Backup )
Zone Alarm Pro Antivirus
(Firewall , Online Backup ) + Antivirus kaspersky engine , identity protection
Zone alarm Extreme Security
(Firewall , Online Backup ) + (Antivirus kaspersky engine , identity protection) +PC Tune UP ,Parental Control , Anti-Theft

5-McAfee
McAfee AntiVirus Plus
(Antivirus Engine, Malware Detection, Two way Firewall, Identity Protection ,Wifi Security , Vulnerability scan,PC Tune UP ,Web Portal Management, File Shredder, Multi Device Licenses)
McAfee Internet Security
(Antivirus Engine, Malware Detection, Two way Firewall, Identity Protection ,Wifi Security , Vulnerability scan,PC Tune UP ,Web Portal Management, File Shredder, Multi Device Licenses) + Parental Control ,Anti-Spam,Password Manager
McAfee Total Protection
(Antivirus Engine, Malware Detection, Two way Firewall, Identity Protection ,Wifi Security , Vulnerability scan,PC Tune UP ,Web Portal Management, File Shredder, Multi Device Licenses) +(Parental Control ,Anti-Spam,Password Manager) + File Encryption
McAfee Live Safe
(Antivirus Engine, Malware Detection, Two way Firewall, Identity Protection ,Wifi Security , Vulnerability scan,PC Tune UP ,Web Portal Management, File Shredder, Multi Device Licenses) +(Parental Control ,Anti-Spam,Password Manager) + (File Encryption) +Cloud Back up

The top antivirus have features : Bitdefender antivirus plus + McAfee Antivirus Plus
Thanks
Source:fatsecurity

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
are you asking what's the difference between the versions of the certain products, aka between antivirus , internet security and total security? well you explained that yourself with listing the features.

between the products, my personal list:
Kaspersky > Bitdefender > Norton > Zone Alarm
Mcafee, avoid at all cost.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
to be simple :

kaspersky : to many bells and whistles , heavy on low end machines but also known for putting a drag on various other ( high end machines ) slows down browsing machines.
mcafee : straight to the garbage bin with this one : a big no no
bitdefender : buggy , huge drag on sytem
norton : probably the best choice : good protection straight out of the box , excellent smart firewall. their behaviour blocker is sometimes slow in detection and removal of threats.
zonealarm : so so firewall protection and av module , its running an older version of kaspesky engine.

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
to be simple :

Kaspersky : to many bells and whistles , heavy on low end machines but also known for putting a drag on various other ( high end machines ) slpws down browsing machines.
mcafee : straight to the garbage bin with this one : a big no no
Bitdefender : buggy , huge drag on sytem
norton : probably the best choice : good protection straight out of the box , excellent smart firewall. their behaviour blocker is sometimes slow in detection and removal of threats.
zonealarm : so so firewall protection and av module , its running an older version of kaspesky engine.
Bitdefender isn't buggy at all, and Kaspersky became lighter the recent years, but efficient protection comes with resource eating. Either you settle with low protection or deal with the resources. It does NOT impact high-end rigs tho.

Norton has a hard time blocking malware that executed, other than SONAR, it doesn't have any other modules to stop things. Their heuristics engine is one of the best tho, from my Symantec Endpoint tests, almost 90% of fresh malware gets flagged instantly.

BD and Kaspersky stops the malwares missed by signatures with their other modules, redundant but effective, rather have multiple walls of defense than one.

abdou17

Level 2
Verified
May 3, 2013
Hi, there is no such thing as "most powerful companies in protection" the results are variable from time to time It depends on the efforts of companies to develop their products and add new effective layers of protection
and choosing an AV depends on how you use your PC and wish sites you visit and apps you install
if you visit safe sites and install well known apps WD or any free av is enough and you are good to go
and i think this is "PCmag best AV List !!!o_O"

==

from the list
Kaspersky>bitdefender>Norton (with internet) without net out>Mcafee

:)

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Id go with Kaspersky first and Norton second.

Those two are feature rich if your looking into the total security or internet security packages. Norton Premium or Deluxe.

Norton Sonar is powerful. Kaspersky detection all around is one of the best. Just look in the hub.

Personally i stay away from McAfee products for now. Would like to see where they go now that the company is on its own.

Bitdefender. Annoys me needing to reboot after a signature update. Problem only seemed to happen to my one machine. I have no issues with Bitdefender. Solid protection. Does not run heavy.

Zone Alarm. Never used it so i cant give you my opinion.

Don't be discouraged from the people that say "Kaspersky runs to heavy" or "Norton runs to heavy". Everyone's system is different and because of that you can expect the software to run differently. The way you configure the software will also determine how they run.

IMO anyway. :)

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Id go with Kaspersky first and Norton second.

Those two are feature rich if your looking into the total security or internet security packages. Norton Premium or Deluxe.

Norton Sonar is powerful. Kaspersky detection all around is one of the best. Just look in the hub.

Personally i stay away from McAfee products for now. Would like to see where they go now that the company is on its own.

Bitdefender. Annoys me needing to reboot after a signature update. Rather use products that integrate Bitdefender signatures. Emsisoft, G Data, F-Secure, Vipre. Etc.

Zone Alarm. Never used it so i cant give you my opinion.

Don't be discouraged from the people that say "Kaspersky runs to heavy" or "Norton runs to heavy". Everyone's system is different and because of that you can expect the software to run differently. The way you configure the software will also determine how they run.

IMO anyway. :)
"Bitdefender. Annoys me needing to reboot after a signature update. "
what??

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
"Bitdefender. Annoys me needing to reboot after a signature update. "
what??

Not going to take over the thread discussing my issue with Bitdefender. But yes that was my problem with it. I know you can postpone the reboot but why is it that Bitdefender at the time of me using it needed to reboot constantly. Mostly after a signature update? Maybe it was just me.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Not going to take over the thread discussing my issue with Bitdefender. But yes that was my problem with it. I know you can postpone the reboot but why is it that Bitdefender at the time of me using it needed to reboot constantly. Mostly after a signature update? Maybe it was just me.
you're almost making me want to install it on a VM and test if this is true. Sounds absolutely hilarious.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
My Laptop is specs:
ZBook 15 g3
Intel Core i7 6700HQ
16GB DDR4
512 SSD M2 2TB HDD
AMD FirePro Graphics
I see after reading comments
the Best Protection Bitdefender and Norton'.
Mcafee is Power Web protection (Site Advisor)
Ease of Use Interface and light is version 2017

What do you think?
avoid McAfee at all cost. your laptop shouldn't have an issue running KIS or BD.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.