Bitdefender not detecting sites that use coinhive

crowstwo

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 10, 2017
I have an Intel NUC(with Norton Security which expires in 14 days now) which is set to my guest Wifi and sometimes my wife when not watching Netflix goes to a site where she watches TV stations from our country.

Today when she tried to go to that site, Norton blocked it and said something like "jscoinminer download 8" which I thought it was pretty nice.
When I tried to access the same site on my laptop where I have BitDefender Total Security 2018 it just went straight without any problems so it didn't detect anything.

On my main PC I also have BitDefender but I also have the AdGuard Windows app, there the moment the site tries to load, AdGuard displays a pop-up saying "AdGuard has detected that this website is trying to use your browser as a blockchain currency miner.."

I was rather happy with BitDefender and it always gets good scores in reviews but it seems in real life usage it's not so good, I am not sure if I should resub or just dump it and resub to Norton.

What do you guys think?

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I would keep your bitdefender. Usually he has a very good web protection.
Anti-Phishing-Test - AV-Comparatives
But you should know that no antivirus is the best in all areas. Today bitdefender will block all malicious sites, tomorrow kaspersky will beat him.
But you are doing everything right (y)a good antivirus with browser addons. Adguard or uBlock Origin + Noscript and that's enough

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
To block script-based coin miners, you can install uBlock Origin in your web browser and subscribe to filters uBlock filters – Resource abuse and NoCoin. These filters will successfully block coin miners if your antivirus misses it.

According to VirusTotal, Bitdefender detects Coinhive miner as Application.BitCoinMiner.SX.

crowstwo

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 10, 2017
Hey thanks for the replies guys, yes now I plan on using AdGuard the installed version on my PC. I have the trial version atm but will get the full one.

@Syafiq I already checked and it didn't block it. For example this happened yesterday and my last notification from infected sites is from December 9. I guess it just doesn't know it.

Also on the laptop where I had only BitDefender, I installed a Malwarebytes trial because I was afraid it was infected but it didn't find anything.
Here is what Malwarebytes says when I visit that site.
2.JPG

crowstwo

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 10, 2017
@Syafiq Thanks for the offer but I was thinking of getting 4 people to install the free version so I get 1 year of sub or wait for a discount and buy the lifetime version of AdGuard.
I am not comfortable using other people's accounts, I get a feeling of guilt :D

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
@crowstwo, I have the license key only without account :) I have removed my key from my account so that you can create another account for yourself and link my unused license to your account

P

plat1098

Yeah, if the ad-blocker takes care of it, I'm less inclined to get irritable with the resident antivirus, but then again, I'm using Windows Defender, enuf said. :LOL: Have you submitted the URL to Bitdefender for investigation?

crowstwo

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 10, 2017
@Syafiq Oh ok in that case it's different and I would gladly take it :). Unfortunately I cannot PM you. No matter what I write I get this message:

"Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator."
Maybe because I have a new account and it thinks I am spamming. If it would not be a lot of trouble can you please send me a PM? Thanks so much for your kindness! I appreciate it!

@plat1098 Yes I submitted it some hours ago.

Reactions: Marko :) and Syafiq

Glashouse

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
Just if you need it, AdGuard is at StackSocial for 34.99 USD for 2 PC + 2 Android devices. today there is on top 40% off.
If I calculate this correctly it is about: 20.99 USD which is not expensive for the lifetime deal...

crowstwo

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 10, 2017
@Syafiq Hands down this never happened before! I just registered on the forum here to complain about BitDefender and a complete stranger offers me a free serial key for AdGuard!
This has never happened before in my many years of navigating the rough waters of internet.
Seems I landed in a great community, thanks again kind stranger!

Reactions: Marko :) and Syafiq

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
@crowstwo I got that AdGuard license from a previous MT giveaway, and I currently haven't activated it. You need that key, So I would be happy to share my 'not yet used' key for you :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.