BitDefender Total Security 2018 - Slow to Load/Resource Hog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I am currently using BDTS 2018 based on the many positive reviews for the last week, and I noticed that whenever the program starts, it takes almost 30 seconds for all its services to load watching the tray icon.

I have used other AV programs in the past, and none seem to take as long.

One of the things that BD advertises is that it would not be much of an impact on one's system but I noticed that one of its services, the BD Security Service vsserv.exe uses more ram than any other program on my PC.

Despite being a great program favorably reviewed, I wonder if in reality it is really a resource hog.

Any similar experiences?

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I have the Bitdefender IS and the same issue. But it seems to be normal. And months before, i have tested the Kaspersky IS...exactly same behavior. OK i'm a little spoiled in that...the tray icon from avast or eset runs very fast

Reactions: FrFc1908

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
Ram usage is irrelevant and it's there to be used and how long it takes to load the gui is also irrelevant. If you don't feel a slowdown then it's fine.
i agree
if it uses a lot of RAM, so what? it is far better/faster to use RAM than to use harddrive
is your computer booting much slower than before?
is it downloading files from internet slower than before?
is program launching much slower than before?
is copying files much slower than before?

those are examples of things you should use to decide if a certain AV software is too heavy for you

Reactions: brambedkar59

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
He delays the initialization icon, but remains protected because its processes are running in the background. BitDefender is a good product, consumes a lot of RAM even in the free version, but does not leave the system slow, only the navigation seems to get a little slow because its web filter is very robust.
On my desktop I am using the BitDefender Free + VoodooShield I think one good combo.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I also got Bitdefender Total Security and I have not experienced any slowdown in performance:)

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I wonder if in reality it is really a resource hog.
As an end user only you can judge the performance of AV on your system. As all systems behave differently with same software there is no one correct answer.
Apart from that using an AV will always have some negative effect on the system, and much more visible on lower specced ones. What are your system specs?
Usually the culprit for slow boot are the startup programs, post a screenshot of task manager> startup tab.
As you said, your last AV was not a resource hog, so what else has changed since you changed your AV?

manfred0

Level 1
Aug 19, 2017
i feel frustrated , Total Resource Hog
it's unfit for old PC or laptop
quickly uninstall them after 30 minutes of use.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
On my system i7 3770, 16gb RAM, SSD and Win 10 Pro (Build 1703), Bitdefender IS 2018 runs smooth and web browsing is fast. Apps, games and programs start quickly.

Reactions: Fritz

Wyrd Nemesis

Oct 21, 2014
Bitdefender used to be a resource hog and slowed down both boot time and conventional tasks on older PCs. I almost gave up on this program years ago but decided to give it a new chance recently and - well, it's been working very well so far. No lag in boot time, no lag in browsing, surfing, or multitasking. Every program loads quickly.

Reactions: mlnevese
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.