Battle BitDefender TrafficLight vs Panda URL Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin21

Thread author
Oct 31, 2011
Hello all, Im new to this forum and ive been lurking for awhile, im a malware cleaner, tester and enthusiast, but recently ive come to a bit of problem with my config, well not really a problem, I have 2 web filters really Avast! Network and Web shields and BitDefender Trafficlight, which has been a rock solid config and still is, but after testing Panda Cloud, ive noticed that they have a very solid URL filter and was wondering which one do you guys prefer and why? or can you use both?

Thanks

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've not really used the Panda URL Filter, but TrafficLight was good last time I used it. However, I did notice some web page slow downs when using without any AV installed.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
ChivasMex said:
i would choose panda because it has good detection and low on system resources.

True of what I have used of Panda it is quite light.

Exorcizm said:
Panda has a pretty good history and reputation, i would give it a try.

Plus Panda when I have been using it I have not had any trouble with it. I use to use before I got Trend Micro.

E

Exorcizm

McLovin said:
ChivasMex said:
i would choose panda because it has good detection and low on system resources.

True of what I have used of Panda it is quite light.

Exorcizm said:
Panda has a pretty good history and reputation, i would give it a try.

Plus Panda when I have been using it I have not had any trouble with it. I use to use before I got Trend Micro.

Same here, worked flawlessly, unfortunately it did have a flaw in the design where my license would corrupt or no longer be seen on any computer i installed it on :( after about 4 months.. LOL

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
I personally, if asked to choose between them.
I will choose panda URL filter.

panda antivirus pro, Or panda cloud antivirus, they are strongest in the URL filter feature, rather than the antivirus engine.

E

Exorcizm

win7holic said:
I personally, if asked to choose between them.
I will choose panda URL filter.

panda antivirus pro, Or panda cloud antivirus, they are strongest in the URL filter feature, rather than the antivirus engine.

This is true, i think i'll use this as my URL filter when i get home
(I'm building a new security suite on my desktop, i've updated my security config)

:D

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
TrafficLight will most probably have better protection than Panda, if AV-Comparatives anti-phishing tests are criteria. The issue with BitDefender is that they still don't have the cloud infrastructure [including the repositories of their competitors] and may be relying a bit more on utilizing local anti-malware and anti-phishing engines, especially compared to one of the pioneers in cloud protection such as Panda, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. When I installed TL I had to use the web installer, because I was running Opera as my main browser at the time, after a while the folder swelled to over 700 MB!

The other issue with TrafficLight is that it slows down the browsing quite considerably [although they're improving a lot], especially the Search Results Analyzer.

You can disable BDTL service or change the startup type to Manual and try Panda to make up your mind.

So it will be a question of convenience or outright protection?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I cannot comment for Panda URL Filter, for Bitdefender Trafficlight it was improved step by step and managed to block even zero day malware.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Some interesting news. BitDefender Trafficlight will have an adblocker!
hA1TS.png

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I used Panda URL filter and BD addon for firefox. Used them for a few weeks but uninstalled since I am not convinced of their effectiveness. Neither slowed me down and when trying URLs from MDL, Traffic Light basically almost never blocked anything and even though Pandas URL filter does great while trying URLs from MDL, it did terrible when using URLs from lesser known sites.

That kind of makes me wonder about its effectiveness and even though it feels just fine, I uninstalled it.

Anyway, if I am ask which one I think its better, without question I would pick Panda URL filter.

Bo

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
Have not tried Panda URL Filter yet, currently running BDTL and it seems pretty good. One thing I have noticed when checking links on MDL and the like, is BDTL will more often then not allow you to download malware from infected links which then requires other protection on your machine to kick in (if any). But if you just check the base URL of the malware site it will almost always catch/flag/block it as malware. Also noticed BDTL for the most part would effectively label malware links when indexed by Google (my default search provider). Not sure why BDTL works like this as malware could possibly walk right by if you clicked a bad link. Maybe because the malware is able to start it's download before BDTL had a chance to check the site, not sure. I think I'll give Panda URL Filter a spin and see how it works.

P

Plexx

I have tried both BD and Panda URL filter and during tests BD didn't really block much compared to the same sites that Panda URL blocked.

In terms of usage I did notice the web browser slowing down a bit while using BD.

So my vote is Panda URL Filter

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
OK, so I installed Panda URL Filter and like I suspected Panda catches malware pages when following a direct link to a download (e.g. .exe files) better than BDTL does which is critical if you are not careful and follow a link from an email or IM message etc.. I still like BDTL better for the following reasons.

• Bit Defender Traffic Light has a Search Results Analyzer (Link adviser). Even though people do click on links from emails, IM's etc., I think more people follow links based on searches or ones found in existing webpages. In this case BDTL will show you the risk (icon next to the link) and protect you. Panda URL Filter will not.
  • In order to install Panda URL Filter you have to download Panda Antivirus which when installed will install Panda Antivirus, a Panda browser toolbar ( I can't stand toolbars) and Panda URL Filter.
  • If you only want the Panda URL Filter, you have to use add/remove to uninstall Panda Antivirus and the Panda Toolbar and leave the Panda URL Filter installed.
  • How do you know if Panda URL Filter is actually installed and running? I don't see anything in the browser (IE or Firefox) when it is running. I know you can look in task manager but there should be some indication in your browser when in use.
  • There should be a separate stand alone download just for the Panda URL Filter for those who have an antivirus product already installed.

Personally I did not see any obvious slowdown from either product.

Please let me know if I am way off base here. This was a quick check of the Panda URL Filter in an VM environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.