Bitdefender vs Kaspersky: which one to renew the license?

• Bitdefender

• Kaspersky

Results are only viewable after voting.
Software comparison
Ransomware protection
Web browsing protection
Performance Impact
Application Control
Virus Protection
Feature comparison
  1. Ease of use
  2. Impact on hardware performance
  3. Core protection (malware and heuristic engine)
  4. Internet protection (web filtering, anti-phishing, anti-spam, browser extension)
  5. Proactive protection (anti-exploit, behavior blocker, IDS-HIPS, sandbox)
  6. Network protection (firewall, anti-botnet)
  7. Ransomware protection
  8. Machine learning and A.I. capabilities

Guilhermesene

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 1, 2019
🙋🏻‍♂️Hello my friends from MalwareTips.

I was just thinking here about how difficult it is to choose security software. Do you also have this difficulty?

I say this because I was looking at the Bitdefender and Kaspersky sites here in Brazil 🇧🇷 and I see that both products are on Black Friday promotion.

So I am in a big doubt: which product should I choose to renew my license? Many here raise several points such as: "choose what you like best", "choose what works best for you" among other points. The big problem is when we have specific points in both products. For example, Kaspersky I love because of Application Control and the default deny mode that I use to get more security or a feel for it (This is @harlan4096 and @RoboMan fault with their tutorials). Bitdefender I like because of its automatic mode and the zero impact on my web browsing besides the Bitdefender Central portal.

🤷🏻‍♂️I really am at an impasse and don't know what to do at this point, the only thing I know is that I don't want to miss the Black Friday promotions haha 😆

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
you can try Kaspersky free. It lacks application control so it will be more "automatic" like Bitdefender. In fact, I tried the paid version of Bitdefender but I was disappointed. Kaspersky free is much better in terms of basic protectionand successfully kept my test machine safe. BD did not succeed in many of my tests. Not everyone needs application control, safe money (banking protection), dedicated firewall, parental control, anti-banner,...

if you want more control of your machine, choose kaspersky with app control. If you want it to decide everything for you, choose kaspersky free. All basic features are the same. The paid version is only for knowledgeable users because the added paid features don't work automatically, must be manually triggered or configured

Last edited:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
You can do something different and try out AVG/Avast paid version. Sometimes its better to leave your comfort zone.

If not then...
I would personally go with BIS instead of BTS. That comes from years of using both and having a trouble free issues on several PC and laptops.

Guilhermesene

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 1, 2019
🙋🏻‍♂️ Hey guys, what's up?

I came here to give you feedback about what I decided: I renewed with Bitdefender for another year, this time I got the Bitdefender Family Pack to cover all devices in my family.

I know that all products have their qualities/defects and I appreciate everyone's opinion.

I will put some points here why I decided for Bitdefender:
  1. I have never given Bitdefender a chance (always stayed a few weeks and removed it from the computer) now I have decided to give it a chance for a long time
  2. It makes my web surfing very fast
  3. It's very automatic, so I don't need to configure much (not least because of university I don't have much time)
  4. It has the Bitdefender Central where I can manage all my family's devices
  5. The price was good (I got the Black Friday promotion)
  6. It uses almost nothing of my CPU (around 0~1%)
  7. Uses around 500mb of RAM but I have plenty of memory (32gb of RAM) so I don't worry about that
  8. It has a great online and offline protection
These are some points that justify my choice, but anyway thank you all 👏🏻👏🏻😉

South Park

Level 8
Verified
Jun 23, 2018
My 2 cents based solely on the free versions: BD FREE doesn't use a root certificate to scan web traffic but still blocks malicious URLs quite well. Unfortunately, it also blocks a lot of legitimate websites (including MRG Effitas) in Firefox, with no way to adjust the settings. It also does not use AMSI or scan scripts AT ALL, completely missing malicious test vbs files even with manual scanning. I also found it exceedingly heavy on RAM usage on a low-end laptop with a browser open.

KSC Free uses a root certificate to scan web traffic, which I'm not thrilled about, but it seems to work well and allows opting out of all or some websites. It also uses the AMSI framework and scans scripts plus other threats. It allows a lot of user configuration, akin to the classic Avast 4.7. It runs extremely fast and lightweight on an old laptop. If I were to choose a free program, this would be it. I would guess the paid version is even more awesome.

SeriousHoax

Level 39
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
BD FREE doesn't use a root certificate to scan web traffic but still blocks malicious URLs quite well.
It also uses a root certificates, actually. But they have a huge whitelist or something like that so most websites an average user visit regularly are not HTTPS scanned and results in super very fast web browsing. Two sites that comes to mind at the moment where BD does HTTPS scanning is microsoft(.)com and facebook(.)com and also google(.)com when visited directly.

Last edited: