Slyguy

Level 40
BlackBerry's Cylance acquisition raises eyebrows in the security community - TechCentral.ie

Will acquisition compromise Cylance's anti-malware service in the name of law enforcement?

BlackBerry, which has rebranded as a security company as its mobile handset business fades, purchased Cylance, the machine-learning based anti-malware company, for $1.4 billion dollars (€1.2 billion). The move is in line with BlackBerry’s public strategy to secure endpoint devices such as cars, medical devices, and critical infrastructure, but it raises eyebrows in the security community, given the company’s history with encryption backdoors.

The company plans to integrate Cylance’s anti-malware solution into the BlackBerry Spark platform, “which is at the centre of our strategy to ensure data flowing between endpoints (in a car, business, or smart city) is secured, private, and trusted,” BlackBerry wrote in a statement.

Deploying Cylance’s well-respected anti-malware service on IoT devices is potentially a big win for IoT security, but CEO John Chen’s stance on “lawful access” has put him and BlackBerry at odds with much of the security community — and that may concern organisations planning to use the Cylance/Spark product.

At the height of BlackBerry’s popularity as a handset manufacturer, the company is thought to have shared its global decryption key for consumer BlackBerry devices with the Canadian federal police, the RCMP. During the Apple v. FBI spat a couple years ago, when the FBI was clamoring for backdoored encryption, Chen was a vocal critic of Apple, and called for tech companies to cooperate with law enforcement. But in a blog post yesterday, Chen said that “BlackBerry’s products do not have backdoors,” while reiterating his stance that tech companies should “comply with reasonable lawful access requests.”

Kubla

Level 6
They would be flushing that 1.4 billion dollars down the drain if they are ever caught putting a backdoor in Cylance, or intentionally compromising its security in any way, they would lose both their corporate and their consumer base as no one would trust their products ever again.

Slyguy

Level 40
I still use and love Cylance Protect to be honest. The comped license for 10 seats is pretty awesome, it doesn't disturb my computing in any way whatsoever, and after I hit it with Syshardener, and drop it behind Gryphon (ESET) it's more than protective.

I really hope it doesn't go away to be honest. The AV market is pretty crap right now and finding a non-bloated suite that doesn't cause headaches is not easy in this day and age..

I really hope it doesn't go away to be honest. The AV market is pretty crap right now and finding a non-bloated suite that doesn't cause headaches is not easy in this day and age..
It is so true. If you find a soft that works for you, then it is worth gold. And if it goes away, it is such a let-down.

Burrito

Level 9
I still use and love Cylance Protect to be honest. The comped license for 10 seats is pretty awesome, it doesn't disturb my computing in any way whatsoever, and after I hit it with Syshardener, and drop it behind Gryphon (ESET) it's more than protective.

^^ This ^^

Slyguy

Level 40
So from this article;

Blackberry CEO John Chen denies backdoored product claims

It sounds like February 2019 could be the start of Cylance for Consumers 'dead'. Since he makes it pretty clear, Cylance will continue to operate as a stand alone unit - but only for approximately 3 more months.

Since Blackberry has largely (if not completely) rejected the consumer market and has focused on Department of Defense, Govt. Bureau and corporate activities we can probably assume the consumer version is being scaled back and possibly abandoned. Without any word from me, and his continued avoidance of mention about the consumer version, coupled with Blackberry operational focus - RIP..

Now what? Almost every other product is bland, bloated or troublesome.. :unsure:

artek

Level 3
Do you really need an AV? i don't, i use better solutions, so you could live without one too.
Have you ever gone to a bad sandwich shop or made a bad sandwich yourself and the meat and cheese and lettuce is all heaped between the bread willy nilly, scrambling out of the over soggy bread messy as all hell like the chef just slopped the layers on one on top of the other? A piece of ham sticking out here, firewall here just because, little bit of lettuce, special secret online banking browser sauce. Then you visit a nice artisanal sandwich shop and the bread ingredients all fit neatly together and you can bite into the thing without fighting your way through all the rough edges first. You get used to that place, the neatly cut wedges, the slices of pickles and the olive pinned to the top with a toothpick holding the whole thing together. The years go by and you come to love it, and one day you wake up and you walk down that familiar street where the sandwich shop used to rest and you turn to go in the storefront door and you notice it's been replaced by a Quiznos.

oldschool

Level 23
Verified
Have you ever gone to a bad sandwich shop or made a bad sandwich yourself and the meat and cheese and lettuce is all heaped between the bread willy nilly, scrambling out of the over soggy bread messy as all hell like the chef just slopped the layers on one on top of the other? A piece of ham sticking out here, firewall here just because, little bit of lettuce, special secret online banking browser sauce. Then you visit a nice artisanal sandwich shop and the bread ingredients all fit neatly together and you can bite into the thing without fighting your way through all the rough edges first. You get used to that place, the neatly cut wedges, the slices of pickles and the olive pinned to the top with a toothpick holding the whole thing together. The years go by and you come to love it, and one day you wake up and you walk down that familiar street where the sandwich shop used to rest and you turn to go in the storefront door and you notice it's been replaced by a Quiznos.
I really enjoy well written stories like this!

D

Deleted member 178

@artek nice analogy, personally i will just buy a different meal without thinking twice. I'm never attached to a particular brand/vendor. I just buy what fit me the best at the moment, nothing is irreplaceable.

Burrito

Level 9
That's great. And unfortunately, sometimes the way it is..

Burrito

Level 9
@artek nice analogy, personally i will just buy a different meal without thinking twice. I'm never attached to a particular brand/vendor. I just buy what fit me the best at the moment, nothing is irreplaceable.
And of course, you are right.

But.... Cylance (while it does have limitations) has developed a ML algorithm that at this time seems to be the best product of its type. It's a super-effective and super-light capability for its niche. I hate to see it go away.

But yes.... like with all the security products over time... something new will come along any time now...

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
D

Deleted member 178

Few years ago, for me, using an AV was a necessity, now it is just a commodity.

It has its usefulness, but i dont need any.

Burrito

Level 9
I don't really consider Cylance a full AV.

To me... it is a zero-day layer to get the new and unusual stuff.

But... they (Cylance) do market themselves as an AV competitor.

Cylance would be an awesome ML module in Norton, Eset, Bitdefender...

It has a few limitations in the coverage spectrum -- and I don't think they should not market themselves as a full AV.

Guys like you Umbra.... who actually understand how to tweak all the different components of Windows and all the implications of those tweaks... yeah, you don't need it. The rest of us can use OSArmor, SysHardener, and Andy's tool to achieve some of those effects. But it's still not the same as having the deep understanding...

Slyguy

Level 40
I don't really consider Cylance a full AV.

To me... it is a zero-day layer to get the new and unusual stuff.

But... they (Cylance) do market themselves as an AV competitor.

Cylance would be an awesome ML module in Norton, Eset, Bitdefender...

It has a few limitations in the coverage spectrum -- and I don't think they should not market themselves as a full AV.

Guys like you Umbra.... who actually understand how to tweak all the different components of Windows and all the implications of those tweaks... yeah, you don't need it. The rest of us can use OSArmor, SysHardener, and Andy's tool to achieve some of those effects. But it's still not the same as having the deep understanding...
This is exactly how I use Cylance.. It really is just a 'module' for Zero-Day Application shenanigans to me. This weekend I went through my 'round' of testing on various AV's and was absolutely driven back to my previous setup.. Look at this silliness;

GData - worked nicely at first, then noticed some excessive SSD use on fast downloads/installs of games. Like - 60% of my drive throughput was taken by GData, leaving only 40% for my actual download/install... Then I noticed ridiculous GData proxy spiking during gaming, and a higher memory use than should be required. Performance was noticely impacted under high demand. Oh, the forced update on start of PC is absolute nonsense.

AVG (Paid) - After I got through all of the data mining checkboxes and other trash. The firewall shenanigans started. Revo Portable failed to load. Then it cached so much of my DNS that changing UTM DNS and reboots it still used the cache. All sorts of sordid firewall and av anamloies came up that send me running for the uninstall button. Every single game I exited popped up 'We're helping keep you not disturbed during this game' and other absolute NONSENSE.. How can people run this crap?

Norton - Yup, the old error connecting to server is back. (keeping in mind the machine testing was a BRAND NEW Windows 10 install) I decided to have some fun and try to fix the error. After an hour Norton was pulled.

Emsisoft - I threw this one on, but the interface and colors really annoyed me. Then some strange slowdowns presented with a few of the modules. That combined with the price, pulled it.

Trustport - (lol) I noticed they lost their contract with Avast, so it's basically a childish interface thrown on Bit Defender with a fake 'Trustport Home Brew' engine to replace Avast. Bye.

Bit Defender Free - It seemed ok, then it started throttling my 1000Mbps connection down to 150Mbps randomly. Trash.

The list goes on and on and on.. The reality is, everything pretty much sucked in one way or another. I am picky. I don't like my security products being d-bags. I don't tolerate sluggishness, random CPU spikes, memory hogs, or strange anomalies with various things.

I put Cylance on the box and presto. Everything worked magnificently.. I executed Syshardener, tossed OSArmor on along with Heimdal for web filtration and everything was a smooth as silk... This is why I will be pained to see Cylance go away.. That no-frills, not messing with stuff way it works is absolutely ABSENT from the bloated, intrusive, buggy AV market and it ticks me off.

Last edited:

ticklemefeet

Level 21
Verified
I had that Cylance home election give away on for some time but for some reason I uninstalled it. I still had the install file and key but when I went back to install it again, it would not work. Not sure why unless the free time ran out. I never owned a blackberry but remember when they were the craze.

Reactions: oldschool

Burrito

Level 9
I had that Cylance home election give away on for some time but for some reason I uninstalled it. I still had the install file and key but when I went back to install it again, it would not work. Not sure why unless the free time ran out. I never owned a blackberry but remember when they were the craze.
Uh oh.... this could be a warning to us all. Maybe Sly is right... they could be leaving the consumer market... and Cylance is now allowing no new installations.

I hope not. I just got a new computer I have not loaded yet..

Reactions: oldschool