Blackberry may buy Cylance for as much as $1.5 Billion.

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
BlackBerry is in talks to acquire cybersecurity company Cylance for $1.5 billion

-------------

Sounds crazy to me.

I like Cylance and I think they did develop a better Machine Learning algorithm. But there are many good evolving concepts in security. I don't think Blackberry will be able to monetize $1.5B out of this...

But what do I know..

But I do know that my comped licenses to Cylance will end if it goes to Blackberry.

Thus, I'm against it.

How does Blackberry even have $1.5B to buy something like this..

1541806783324.png

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
They'll take it if the investors want to bail-out.

As my memory serves me right, series A through E capital investment totalled to 500 million dollars. Even for the investors stepping in June this year (link) that means a 300% ROI within half a year (versus first investors 1500% in three years). So this does not seem like a bail out of unhappy investors, but more like an investors party in paradise.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Cylance is being shopped for a buyer, no question about that.. Word on the street is - they want a buyer before the end of the year but no later than fall of next year. They could announce a buyer as soon as tomorrow from whispers on the street.

Keep in mind this likely means the change-state of Cylance is likely iced in. Nothing new will come from them. Which might explain why none of their offerings have changed, or in some cases, have even had a new version in many months.

What Blackberry will do with it is anyones guess, but I highly doubt Cylance would continue to exist as it is now. Which sucks for me, because I like Cylance, it's lightweight profile, and simplistic lack of bloat.

D

Deleted member 178

Few of us were not naive and knew AI was just hype and overrated , especially Cylance, so im not surprised.

Reactions: In2an3_PpG
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It's a fact that AI/ML is pretty much an integral component to some of the best solutions out there now. (AV or otherwise) AI/ML on Gryphon router is a very competent, valuable component to home IoT protection which is one of the reasons it's the most secure routers a homeowner can deploy. Those ML systems are well trained to spot network anomalies and deploy quarantine measures.

I think it's more naive to believe that AI/ML isn't going to be in virtually everything in a matter of years. Hell, my car has AI/ML systems in it already. I view ML/AI systems as more of an adjunct, assistive technology. Which is exactly how I viewed Cylance from day one.

Reactions: Weebarra

It's a fact that AI/ML is pretty much an integral component to some of the best solutions out there now. (AV or otherwise) AI/ML on Gryphon router is a very competent, valuable component to home IoT protection which is one of the reasons it's the most secure routers a homeowner can deploy. Those ML systems are well trained to spot network anomalies and deploy quarantine measures.

I think it's more naive to believe that AI/ML isn't going to be in virtually everything in a matter of years. Hell, my car has AI/ML systems in it already. I view ML/AI systems as more of an adjunct, assistive technology. Which is exactly how I viewed Cylance from day one.

The issue is the marketing of what already existed to make people think they are getting something new. Like ESET said... they had been using Ai\ML years before the "Next Gen" marketing scam. Why is it a scam ? Because it is detection by another name. That's it. Whether one detects via signatures or cloud analysis, the two are the fundamentally the same... detection. Moving it off the local system to the cloud, so what... using game theory for detection is precisely what it is... detection.

The next marketing gimmick is "adaptive," "resilience," "programmed networking" and so on.

People have the right to make their own choices. People have always shown their gullibility by an exuberant willingness to buy into false hope. And that is what all default allow amounts to... false hope.

D

Deleted member 178

In years, I agree, right now many products fancies themselves as AI for marketing and hype but their Ai's brain is big like a peanut...

Cylance didn't market themselves as assistive, they claimed to destroy signature-based AVs, and they fail.

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
BlackBerry to acquire AI-powered cybersecurity startup Cylance for $1.4 billion

The rumors, it seems, were true — BlackBerry is acquiring cybersecurity startup Cylance in an all-cash deal worth $1.4 billion.
Founded in 2012 by CEO Stuart McClure, an entrepreneur who sold a previous cybersecurity firm to McAfee for $86 million in 2004, Irvine, California-based Cylance is an endpoint protection platform designed to thwart advanced threats using artificial intelligence (AI). Its suite of security protocols inspects networks for weaknesses and shuts them down if detected, and it doesn’t require a “signature” from an existing threat to block it — it can spot new threats.

So it's a done deal.

So that's it. All my comped licenses will be taken away most likely.

The greatest security invention in the history of the internet will likely be taken from us... the consumer.

When I installed Cylance, not only did my computer become safer, a shield of protection was installed around my home and my being. That's how good it is.

BlackBerry's association with The Trilateral Commission, The Intelligence Community, The Illuminati and Vlad Putin is responsible for this abomination. They are also allegedly involved in UFO things.

It's over.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

What are you crying about? Did you invest in their business millions and lost it? :D How does these news impact you, as an home user of their product, exactly?
Forum syndrome, people get emotional to a product... They bought it, so they advertised its awesomeness everywhere, then when it fails to deliver the expected promises, instead of moving on to another solution, people cries...

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I wonder if Cylance would have been better off if they had gone the Bitdefender route. And sold their ML engine to other security companies.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
D

Deleted member 178

I bet they planned to resell it since day one.
1- get a good idea
2- find someone to fund its development, in Cylance case the CIA.
3- over-marketing/hype it to increase its value.
4- resell it, take the cash

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.