Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
A search engine built by the crowd, that does not suck
blippex-promo.png

Google’s PageRank has revolutionized search, but over the last ten years it has forced every other search engine to look and act like Google. This has made it almost impossible to establish a better, modern search engine other than Google, granted its popularity is the major indicator for its quality. Nice for Google, not so nice for healthy competition.

Meet the DwellRank

During our work at archify, a private search engine across the content of your browsing history, Max and I realised that there is one core metric that could be an alternative to the PageRank. We learned that the biggest commitment a user can make to a web page and content, is the time the user spends on it. We can safely assume that a web page where users only spend a few seconds on is not as important as a page where they spend several minutes. That’s a much stronger commitment than hitting a like button can ever be. And it’s a stronger indication for quality content than links between machines. We call this new way of ranking pages, DwellRank. Dwellrank is a better way to find the right search results, based on the time users actually spend on the page.

Meet Blippex

After 2 years of valuable experience with archify we decided to build a search engine called Blippex, which is based on the DwellRank. We’ve built extensions for all major browsers (sorry IE), which sends the URL of the web page and the time they spent on it to our servers. The database is built by the input from humans, which helps create the Blippex search engine. It is also available for everyone, even if you have not installed the extension (but you should install it!). The challenge around Blippex is finding enough people who are willing to share their data. As a result, we have created many privacy safeguards. If you use the extension we will only save three data points:

Source

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
Google’s base algorithm is something called PageRank, named after Google founder Larry Page. PageRank evaluates the relevance of a site according to how many other pages on the web link to it. Blippex’s algorithm, called DwellRank, decides relevance based on how long users spend on a site and how many times Blippex users have visited it. Researchers at the University of Massachusetts Amherst have, independently of the Blippex team, established that the amount of time someone spends on a web page or document is, not surprisingly, a pretty good measure of how important and relevant it is (pdf).

Blippex gets this information by having you download a plugin for your web browser. This plugin measures how long you spend on each site and sends the information to Blippex, anonymized—that is, stripped of any information that could identify you.

http://qz.com/129879/this-is-the-first-interesting-search-engine-since-google/

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
nice theory, im guessing its gonna take while for this search engine to actually be usefull. that is untill enough people install the plugin so its database grows right?

but im gonna give it a try. thanks for the info.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Nice find.

Check out their Privacy Policy if you're unsure:
https://www.blippex.org/privacy

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
"that is untill enough people install the plugin so its database grows right?"
yes ,its upon you to install or not but plugin helps the search engine to customize the data.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I'll check this out in a couple years time, give it some time to build up an index and see how it turns out.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Or you could help them out, by installing their extension.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I gave it a go and it's obvious it needs a bigger "crowd", Unfortunately I'm only interested in a fully functional search engine that gives me the results I'm looking for so for now I'm sticking with StartPage. I don't wish to be data genie pig for a startup engine not in its prime just yet but if you wish to help them out then by all means install the extension and start helping yourself. Cheers.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
i think there is no need to install their extention even i am also not installing it till now ,yes but i included its search engine in my serach engine bar and thats it.
But what i like they really traking me about my pages use and "What good" atlest they are showing me what i want unlike google who also track me but don't showing me what i need.

Blippex is different in working ;)

When Kossatz and his co-founder Gerald Baeck, two Austrians living in Berlin, started building their new search engine, Blippex, their first tagline for it was something like “The Wikipedia of Search.” They ditched that for copyright reasons, but it sums up their approach nicely: Blippex is built by its own users. And this makes its search results radically—and perhaps interestingly—different.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Their previous product, archify (discontinued) didn't look too interesting either.

From their Facebook page: "We capture everything you do on the web, so you can find your stuff later"
https://www.facebook.com/archify

They were basically archiving your digital footprint.
http://blog.archify.com/2013/07/22/an-important-message-about-archify/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.