Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Today I will show you small tip how to deal with avast free ads

Pros:
- No ads in avast UI, and probably no annoying popups
- AV components still work normally. Signatures and program updates are not affected - Tested
- Potentially less resource & bandwidth usage
Cons:
- Avast UI won't be able to connect to the internet: "The online content is unavailable"
- Must be unblocked to register a new 365-day free subscription
- (...to be added if any...)

Screenshots:
UTepHq0.png

ZZQNSbw.png

kq4mrr5.png

oYpbiN8.png

Steps:
1/ Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Firewall -> Advanced settings
2/ Outbound Rules -> New Rule -> Program -> Next
3/ “This Program Path” -> Browse... -> to Avast install directory (usually C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast) -> choose AvastUI.exe -> Next
4/ Block the connection -> Next -> Next
5/ "Name:" -> Type AvastUI -> Finish

You can do similar steps if you use other third-party firewalls. Make sure you block AvastUI.exe

Have fun :cool:

EDIT:
If you wanna register for a free subscription, just go to Windows Firewall -> right-click to avastUI and disable the rule -> register -> re-enable the rule -> done
Or you can register offline but it takes more effort to finish

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I think, no need to unblock to register a new 365 days subscription...there is offline registration process too, right?

Dont know the key you get through the following link can be used for offline activation?
https://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
tks. I forgot it. But it's easier to temporarily disable the firewall rule, register for a license and re-enable the rule :rolleyes:

It's good by the way

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
What if you link Avast software to your Avast Account?
I linked avast to my account before I blocked it
Nothing really happens except my avatar is lost and when I clicked on the account, it required the internet

yes it will prevent users from linking to their accounts if they block avast before they do that
When they successfully link the accounts, it stays

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I linked avast to my account before I blocked it
Nothing really happens except my avatar is lost and when I clicked on the accout, it required the internet
Avast Account also monitors the status/subscription of your linked installations, so in my opinion it wouldn't be a good idea to block AvastUI.exe.

Upgrading to Avast Pro Antivirus will eradicate the in-app Up-sell Avast Ads.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Avast Account also monitors the status/subscription of your linked installations, so in my opinion it wouldn't be a good idea to block AvastUI.exe.

Upgrading to Avast Pro Antivirus will eradicate the in-app Up-sell Avast Ads.
Here we are using avast free so in this case we don't need an account to make it work. It's just for fun or maybe in the future avast would give some discounts for loyal users
Avast can be used offline completely from the beginning this is why avast users can register and insert a free license file from another computer which has internet

I don't really see any reason not to do this
Yeah buying a pro license can remove those ads but $$$ :(

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Here we are using avast free so in this case we don't need an account to make it work. It's just for fun or maybe in the future avast would give some discounts for loyal users
Avast Free or Paid, an Avast Account can be used to monitor the status of all your computers and smartphones running Avast security. That is why I don't recommend blocking AvastUI.exe.

You may also notice you can get these discounts and offers through Avast, if they weren't blocked. How else did I get Avast Premier for less than $10 for 2 years? Avast UI Store.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

My free Avast AV is already registered. If following your advise do I need to re-register agian for a 365-day free subscription?

It seems so strange. Only today I got a pop-up ad from Avast and that's after enabling 'Participate in Avast community' for the purpose of letting CyberCapture work. Before that no ad with 'Participate in Avast community' turned off.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi

My free Avast AV is already registered. If following your advise do I need to re-register agian for a 365-day free subscription?

It seems so strange. Only today I got a pop-up ad from Avast and that's after enabling 'Participate in Avast community' for the purpose of letting CyberCapture work. Before that no ad with 'Participate in Avast community' turned off.
if you already registered, you dont need to do it again unless it expires
I have no idea about "Participate..." yet. I need to observe it for a few more days. I just enabled it yesterday and so far no popups

XxX Legolas XxX

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 20, 2016
I turn off Avast ads in setting and I uncheck share my data with Avast.
Why I need firewall to block ads in Avast and why I need Avast Premier when I can turn off ads in setting and use Avast free ???

Last edited:
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I turn off Avast ads in setting and I uncheck share my data with Avast.
Way I need firewall to block ads in Avast and whay I need Avast Premier when I can turn off ads in setting and use Avast free ???
sorry I don't understand what you said :(
what are "way" and "whay"? did you mean "why"?

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.