Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I have used Hiren's Boot CD a great deal, but now I am unable to. Whenever I click Enter on USB Flash Device in the menu, instead of opening up Hiren's Boot CD, it is giving me the message:

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.

When I strike F1, it just repeats the same message ad infinitum.

I have Hiren's on a 4GB flash drive. (My old computer won't let me boot from CD or DVD.)

As for the context of this, I have replaced an old hard drive that was clearly on its way to failure with a larger unused IDE drive. The BIOS seems to recognize that there is a new hard drive, but elsewhere I see non-recognition, including within MiniXP on Hiren's before this error shut down my access to Hiren's.

Computer: Dell System B3 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2657 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Old Drive: ST380011A, 78.1 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
New Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE (WD2500JB) 250GB 8MB Cache 7200RPM ATA100 (Western Digital Caviar SE (WD2500JB) 250GB 8MB Cache 7200RPM ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM w/1 Year Warranty
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus : Advanced System Care Ultimate (Bitdefender engine)
Firewall: Windows Firewall

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
You've probably messed up the boot order in BIOS when you changed your HDD, so usb flash is on first place and whenever you put it into machine it creates an infinite loop. Try reseting BIOS to default, remove CMOS battery and place it back enable option to select bootable device boot order (it should be F12 or F8 on Dell machines) ... Is your HDD attached via ATA mode or AHCI mode?

Does Hirens USB boots on other computers?

Reactions: conceptualclarity
Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I've never dealt with that before. what is it?

i don't know.
If you have an ATA HDD , it should have been connected via ATA controller in BIOS settings. Usually entering BIOS is done by pressing DELETE or ESCAPE button after you power up Dell machines.

Find mobo manual and read it how to change various settings in BIOS. If you are inexperienced with these and you are unsure what to do, don't mess with it and/or call someone more experienced to help you.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.