Bonjour - what is it, and can I delete it?

CaptnAmerca

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2016
So, a recent Windows Update crashed my computer, and forced me to boot in Safe Mode and play detective. Very irritating, as I'm sure everyone can imagine.

Anyways, while checking out the event log, I noticed a lot of attempts to update or connect with something called "Bonjour." I had no idea what it was. A quick Google showed that it was made by or for Apple, which really threw me off, as I don't have any Apple products or software in my life.

Long story short: can I delete/uninstall this? I can't imagine that it's anything critical, but who knows. I'd rather take two seconds ask a stupid question, rather than just plow ahead with my virtual machete and screw something up.

Reactions: shmu26

Aya Salah

Level 1
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
It is essential for iTunes to work properly, that's all I know since I have iTunes installed on my windows 10 laptop & yeah I guess if you don't have any apple products like you said, then you can delete it safely

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
To my understanding, Bonjour is some kind of communication service for iTunes. You do not require it to use iTunes (have used iTunes myself).

"Bonjour is Apple's implementation of zero-configuration networking (zeroconf), a group of technologies that includes service discovery, address assignment, and hostname resolution."

Seems to be a communication medium between your computer and other computers/devices on the network.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Many people misinterpret that 'Bonjour' is something to be adware or any forms of malicious thing. But actually its an overall enhancement for Itunes that generally not needed in our cases.

FakeBonjour

Feb 1, 2018
I located this ip 184.105.247.203 connected. To the mDNSresponder on a MacBook Pro, associated with hundreds of complaints. One person said they hacked and changed his Facebook account password. If they can see that. Imagine all the private photos and messages they hack into. Hope this helps. Actively caught them scanning. When I blocked the network with little snitch it transfered. Hope someone more technologically advanced can take it from here.

Reactions: Vasudev

FakeBonjour

Feb 1, 2018
In regards to fake mDNS this malware creates duplicates. So you will have two mDNS or two Chrome and switches around. On the second mDNS is where I found the IP I listed. Hope it helps.

Reactions: dinosaur07

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Just install Zemana free and run a scan, it will clean up your system pretty well. That way, you don't have to rack your brain over whether the bonjour you have is a legit version or not

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I just unpack the exe of iTunes using &-zip and install only Apple Application support, Itunes and mobile device drivers.
Bonjour isn't needed these days and a resource hog as well.

Reactions: shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.