Status
Not open for further replies.

norton737

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
2d6w6zm.png

Built on a legacy of world-class security products, including Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security and Norton 360, our new offering, Norton Security, includes an array of ‘defense-in-depth’ technologies that have protected our customers for years. These include Network-based defense technologies such as our Firewall and Intrusion Protection System (IPS), File-based defense technologies (traditional core anti-virus capabilities), Reputation-based defense technologies (Insight) and Behavioral-based technologies (SONAR).

Many of these protection technologies have been enhanced and or completely rebuilt from the ground up. The many improvements you get to try out the beta version include:

New look and feel

The most obvious change is the new look and feel of the user interface. Delivering a clean and modern look, the Windows software sets the tone for our latest security offering across multiple operating systems.

Next Generation anti-malware engine

A new real-time malware detection engine fundamentally changes the way traditional file-based antivirus protection is delivered to our customers: Key features of this new engine include:

All of Symantec’s intelligence – over 4.3 trillion relationships – now powers all of Norton’s real-time protection. Every time you touch a file, Norton evaluates it against thousands of criteria to determine if it is an attack.

By relying on Norton’s cloud, the on-disk definitions are now 80% smaller. It’s our quickest and lightest Norton yet.

- Real-time definition updates of propagating malware. Historically as new viruses are discovered, new antivirus definitions have to be pushed out to customer machines. This process can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours With this new engine, information about new threats is made instantly available via Norton’s cloud infrastructure. This greatly improves the speed at which users are of protection against new emerging threats.

Intelligent Protection

Included in this Beta are many features that deliver security smarter, faster and easier. Some of the new features include:

• Intelligent boot-time protection
We know you need to get to work (or play) quickly when you boot your PC. But those first few moments after you turn on your PC are crucial: that’s when your system is most vulnerable and malicious threats can attack. New features in this Beta release monitor system changes that can lead to boot-time infection. Detection of such changes triggers Norton to automatically enter aggressive boot-time protection mode.

• New aggressive threat detection heuristics
For the last few years, Norton Power Eraser has included a set of very aggressive threat detection heuristics (or “rules of thumb”) that identify new threats. Our newest offering includes heuristics that enable it to identify even the most resilient threats without risking a higher rate of false positives.

• Automatic aggressive botnet scanning triggers
A new set of network monitoring capabilities that trigger on suspicious outbound connection activity (for example: a botnet “command and control” center) will automatically prompt users to run Norton’s aggressive scan detection capabilities.

• Smart ping payload data-leakage protection
Ping messages, using the ICMP network protocol, allow applications to verify the status of a remote server. It’s like a computer application saying to a remote web site, “Hello, are you there?” and are referred to as “pings”. Many firewalls do not block these useful messages. But new malware variants piggy-back data onto these messages to send data to a remote server. This could include your sensitive data, perhaps your credit card data. Improvements to our Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) allow the flow of regular ping messages. But our IPS will block “non-standard” payloads that may be a malicious application trying to send out your information.

• Smart-sharing of enhanced Norton Community Watch malicious website data
We have enhanced our Norton Community Watch program to better track and share information about malicious websites. This information is used to provide earlier blocking of phishing or scam web sites before they have a chance to trick others into unknowingly providing personal data.

• Smarter plugin-less browser protection
Web browsers allow for new functions, or extensions, to be added. This allowed us to create security extensions for common web browsers. Unfortunately, this same extensibility also allows attackers easier access to deliver unwanted toolbars and redirect web traffic. To make them less prone to this, browsers increasingly restrict plug-ins and extensions. So we totally rebuilt several Norton security features in this Beta release to work outside of the traditional browser plug-in architecture. This increases the scalability of browser protection, enabling our customers to continue to use features like Norton Safe Web and Norton Web Protection without having to worry about browser plug-ins.

• Refined defenses against socially-engineered attacks
A socially engineered attack relies on the natural human tendency to trust others when information is presented in a certain way instead of relying solely on technological means to steal information. In this Beta release, many Norton protection technologies, including Safe Web, Scam Insight, Download Insight, and Anti-Phishing, have all been refined to better share information with each other. This sharing allows key attribute information about web sites (i.e., the site’s age, its popularity, its volume of malicious downloads and its prior history of collecting personally identifiable information) to determine if a site is being used as part of a new social-engineered attack scam.

• Next-generation SONAR technology
A redesigned SONAR engine detects never-before-seen threats based on the real-time behaviors of such threats. Now SONAR is even more effective against malware attacks that inject malicious threads into trusted application processes and applications that drop malicious files on the system.

Performance Improvements

We’ve included many new improvements to optimize performance and ensure you are protected. These improvements include:

• Performance tuned for the latest Windows 8.x updates
All Norton products are tested thoroughly with Microsoft’s ADK performance assessment user scenarios on the latest Windows 8 platforms.

• Conserving battery power on connected standbys
Norton passes the Windows 8 connected standby WHQL requirement – consuming less than 5% of battery life on a system in standby mode for 16 hours while connected to a network.

• Faster browser experience
Plug-in less browser protection means one less item to load into memory while browsing web sites. This improves the launch speed of your favorite browsers and browsing websites.

• Best-in-class real-time performance
The new Norton maintains the best-in-class performance while providing more protection. Performance is not a tradeoff option for new improved Norton.​

Last edited:

THD

Level 1
Verified
Apr 30, 2014
Very impressing interface :D
Their SONAR and Community Cloud feature are good as I've experienced. Hope they will improve the detection rate and web protection as they've commited.
Waiting for the revival of Norton.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I talked sometime ago to one of our Symantec partner, and despite the latest detection results this new software package is going to close a huge gap between some rival brands.
Some AV developers notable Kaspersky and Sophos have been working really hard to be innovative and come up with new technology and better versions of existing technology and while doing so some brands did have a major success while others sort of failed.
Symantec has always been slow with technology but as history shows us the moment they do release new stuff it usually claims the top spot in the rankings.
Now in regards to this version its new sonar module seems to be a fantastic tool as on the testing systems it outperformed the old sonar capabilities by miles, and given that Sonar itself was never a bad technology, specially against zero day and deep infections.
Also the HEUR engine has been rewritten and has 3 different scanning types performed as one, and from what i did hear it seems to be a revolutionary thingy.

But even tho i am a hardcore Symantec user, i first wanna see before i believe, but fact is that Symantec usually does suprise friend and foe when they bring something new...

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
An antivirus who offer you to install toolbars => no interest from me.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
An antivirus who offer you to install toolbars => no interest from me.

Well then i assume you do not have ANY AV on your pc? As 99% of all AV vendors specially the better part are offering hidden and visible BHO and Toolbars for your browser.
And if they do not offer it then its being installed silently.

Question is: Are they all as good as the ones offered by brands like Symantec/Norton or Kaspersky and Sophos just to name a few.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
UI looks good, too bad the product itself is worthless.

Worthless? You got to be kidding me? Because if Norton is worthless then Kaspersky, ESET and Bitdefender just to call a few names that have pretty much the same capabilities are worthless to.

Most here know that i already said this but let me repeat myself: There is NO bad antivirus there is ONLY a bad user.
So if you have common sense, good browser habits and you keep your pc in tip top shape then ANY AV can blow your mind in ways you never imagined.

That being said if anything is worthless then its your comment buddy anyone can tell you that you are wrong.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
Worthless? You got to be kidding me? Because if Norton is worthless then Kaspersky, ESET and Bitdefender just to call a few names that have pretty much the same capabilities are worthless to.

Most here know that i already said this but let me repeat myself: There is NO bad antivirus there is ONLY a bad user.
So if you have common sense, good browser habits and you keep your pc in tip top shape then ANY AV can blow your mind in ways you never imagined.

That being said if anything is worthless then its your comment buddy anyone can tell you that you are wrong.
lol, im sorry but .... lol

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How many days before we can download? Looking forward to try this new product line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.