Built on a legacy of world-class security products, including Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security and Norton 360, our new offering, Norton Security, includes an array of ‘defense-in-depth’ technologies that have protected our customers for years. These include Network-based defense technologies such as our Firewall and Intrusion Protection System (IPS), File-based defense technologies (traditional core anti-virus capabilities), Reputation-based defense technologies (Insight) and Behavioral-based technologies (SONAR).
Many of these protection technologies have been enhanced and or completely rebuilt from the ground up. The many improvements you get to try out the beta version include:
New look and feel
The most obvious change is the new look and feel of the user interface. Delivering a clean and modern look, the Windows software sets the tone for our latest security offering across multiple operating systems.
Next Generation anti-malware engine
A new real-time malware detection engine fundamentally changes the way traditional file-based antivirus protection is delivered to our customers: Key features of this new engine include:
All of Symantec’s intelligence – over 4.3 trillion relationships – now powers all of Norton’s real-time protection. Every time you touch a file, Norton evaluates it against thousands of criteria to determine if it is an attack.
By relying on Norton’s cloud, the on-disk definitions are now 80% smaller. It’s our quickest and lightest Norton yet.
- Real-time definition updates of propagating malware. Historically as new viruses are discovered, new antivirus definitions have to be pushed out to customer machines. This process can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours With this new engine, information about new threats is made instantly available via Norton’s cloud infrastructure. This greatly improves the speed at which users are of protection against new emerging threats.
Included in this Beta are many features that deliver security smarter, faster and easier. Some of the new features include:
- Intelligent boot-time protection
- New aggressive threat detection heuristics
- Automatic aggressive botnet scanning triggers
- Smart ping payload data-leakage protection
- Smart-sharing of enhanced Norton Community Watch malicious website data
- Smarter plugin-less browser protection
- Refined defenses against socially-engineered attacks
- Next-generation SONAR technology
We’ve included many new improvements to optimize performance and ensure you are protected. These improvements include:
- Performance tuned for the latest Windows 8.x updates
- Conserving battery power on connected standbys
- Faster browser experience
- Best-in-class real-time performance