Brave Browser is hijacking links, and inserting affiliate codes

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I guess they don't implement all the security stuff Bromite (and of course Vanadium) does. So it's less secure
FYI, it's already released with extension support as well

The important difference between Bromite and Ungoogled Chromium is the latter will remove as much connections to Google as possible. Bromite doesn't do to that extent. Bromite added some privacy enhancements to its browser but you can use extensions in Ungoogled Chromium for added privacy

Ungoogled Chromium borrowed some features from Bromite (and others) which, in turn, also borrowed some features from Graphene OS, Ungoogled Chromium and others

As far as security is concerned both are Chromium forks.

From Bromite site

Bromite is a Chromium fork with ad blocking and enhanced privacy; take back your browser

Unquote

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Developers are forking Brave to remove affiliate links

In brief:
  • Developers are forking a version of the Brave Browser to remove many of its for-profit features.
  • The move was triggered by Brave's use of referral links.
  • Brave CEO Brendan Eich warns that stripping out all of Brave's "revenue legs" could leave the new fork without the necessary funding in the future.
Read more here.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The Binance thingy and sponsored images. They keep reappearing even if "Off".
Sponsored NTP Images can be disabled, and I've yet to see it re-activate by itself on my device [Android 10]. Are you on iOS?

Binance is a minor issue, and only affects you if you visit those sites, where the autocomplete adds the referral.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

FYI, it's already released with extension support as well

The important difference between Bromite and Ungoogled Chromium is the latter will remove as much connections to Google as possible. Bromite doesn't do to that extent. Bromite added some privacy enhancements to its browser but you can use extensions in Ungoogled Chromium for added privacy

Ungoogled Chromium borrowed some features from Bromite (and others) which, in turn, also borrowed some features from Graphene OS, Ungoogled Chromium and others
Extension only increase attack surface and doesn't work as most people thing.

Also, why forks are bad:

And:
Bromite is a rare exception among these Chromium browser forks

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Brave Blog post describes their mistake in coding that has everyone in a tither. It reads, in part:

What we did not intend was the wrong default shown here:
image2-1.png

The default suggestion should have been the third item, “binance.us”.
Again, we apologize to our users for this error, and we wanted to share more about how we will ensure that this does not happen again.
The good news is that this does not compromise user privacy, nor does it reveal any personal information. The affiliate code identifies Brave to the partner; it does not identify the user or anyone else.[1]
In no case would affiliate codes ever be added to or overwritten in any link in a web page, as some have misreported. The bug affected only URLs typed into the address bar.
We have already fixed the issue in Brave’s open source on GitHub and in the Brave Nightly, Beta, and Developer release channels, as well as in the Stable (1.9.80) release of our desktop browser that just went live, by changing the “Show Brave suggested sites in autocomplete suggestions” setting’s default to “off”: ... "

You may read the entire post and decide for yourself. It sounds plausible to me.

Stay Brave, my friends. Not paranoid! :D

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Brave Blog post describes their mistake in coding that has everyone in a tither. It reads, in part:

What we did not intend was the wrong default shown here:
image2-1.png

The default suggestion should have been the third item, “binance.us”.
Again, we apologize to our users for this error, and we wanted to share more about how we will ensure that this does not happen again.
The good news is that this does not compromise user privacy, nor does it reveal any personal information. The affiliate code identifies Brave to the partner; it does not identify the user or anyone else.[1]
In no case would affiliate codes ever be added to or overwritten in any link in a web page, as some have misreported. The bug affected only URLs typed into the address bar.
We have already fixed the issue in Brave’s open source on GitHub and in the Brave Nightly, Beta, and Developer release channels, as well as in the Stable (1.9.80) release of our desktop browser that just went live, by changing the “Show Brave suggested sites in autocomplete suggestions” setting’s default to “off”: ... "

You may read the entire post and decide for yourself. It sounds plausible to me.

Stay Brave, my friends. Not paranoid! :D
Our very BRAVE evangelist to the rescue!

Last edited:

Mountainking

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2018
Slightly OT, but I tried installing extensions on chromium on android but could not.... Any clues on how to add them? Thanks

Reactions: Cortex

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.