Brave Browser Taunts Chrome, Edge, and Firefox in New Privacy Ad

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Brave, a privacy-centric web browser, is running advertisements on partner sites that taunt the browser developer's competitors such as Google, Mozilla, Microsoft, and Opera.

We all know that our browsers are tracking us more than we really want them to be. Whether they track or locations, the sites we visit, offer "recommend" extensions, or even install extension without permission, privacy has always been a concern by users in the past.

In a full page ad found on software download site, Softonic.com, Brave was discovered taunting its competitor's by stating that the visitor's installed browser is not only tracking their location but also hinting that it tracks much more.

firefox-ad.jpg
Brave Ad when connecting with Firefox

When you visit this page, the name of the browser that you are using will be inserted into the text. For example, if you are using Firefox, then the page will state "Firefox knows far more about you than just your location. Protect your privacy and browser up to 8x faster with Brave". The ad then prompts you to download the Brave browser.

The download link for this ad campaign is https://laptop-updates.brave.com/download/FUX638, which appears to be a special link provided by Brave.

A user who posted this ad on Reddit wondered if this ad went too far and many agreed or thought it was deceptive. Others, on the other hand, felt that the ads were justified and liked to see the much smaller browser company taking on its large competitors.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
BleepingComputer had contacted Brave about this advertisement and how it was being promoted and was provided the following statement:
This was actually being run by a partner and we're fixing this right now, you won't see those ads anymore.
I'm glad they're removing the ads. As someone who's on-board for their whole private ads shtick I find this promotion to be really shoddy. Taking potshots at your competition just looks childish.

Does anyone currently use Brave browser as primary? Your impressions?
I do. It's been stable for me and I haven't had any technical issues with it. Obviously your experience may vary.
I don't use sandboxie so I can't say if there's any compatibility issues or not.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Isn't latest Brave version based on Chromium? lol
It does , its just feels like its been in beta stage for years

Better off just chrome + extensions, everything brave has built in except fingerprint protection just acts poorly

Just run any chrome browser with ublock origin and its same, opera is just good for someone running old laptop because of power savings

Also if you have decent pc , firefox runs smoother than chrome does....i have been using chrome mainly but just moved to firefox because 65 went stable, rocking it with ublock origin...nothing else needed tbh. I dont just want to sync chrome on mobile, since it has no adblocking at all

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.